View Poll Results: Should the Cuban Embargo be ended?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. We cannot cooperate in making Communism successful 90 miles from the US coast

    4 8.70%
  • Yes. Its time to end the Cuban Embargo.

    35 76.09%
  • Yes, but with limits, restrictions and tarrifs.

    5 10.87%
  • Yes, but lets do it with democrats in power owning the backlash from the Cuban exile community.

    2 4.35%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

  1. #11
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I don't see how - but I'm willing to listen.
    Well it will let them see North American culture in the products they import thus making them embrace ideas like democracy and freedom. When you import goods form America you import culture and values. Canada has a good relation but the only thing we send to Cuba is a crapton of tourists.

  2. #12
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    Well it will let them see North American culture in the products they import thus making them embrace ideas like democracy and freedom. When you import goods form America you import culture and values. Canada has a good relation but the only thing we send to Cuba is a crapton of tourists.
    although i hate communism, i dont like the idea of exporting democracy .........which is another vile form of government....lets export ...true republican government.

    but i do feel that opening up free markets to Cuba, will bring down communism in that country.

  3. #13
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    When the Castros are gone and their replacements open up their governance so as to extend rights to their people... sure.

  4. #14
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    although i hate communism, i dont like the idea of exporting democracy .........which is another vile form of government....lets export ...true republican government.

    but i do feel that opening up free markets to Cuba, will bring down communism in that country.
    How's that working with China, Saudi Arabia, et al?

    I used to think the same, mind you. But increasingly I find the evidence simply doesn't support that conclusion.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yes. It never should of been put in place to begin with. Its time to do away with that embargo, its purpose was to weaken Castro and cause uprising against their economy and the Castro regime, that failed and it has failed from the beginning. If anything it has strengthened the Cuban people and the Castro's.
    what would you have done if you were in power at the time?...... keep in mind that the Castro regime just nationalized US properties and businesses without compensation.( which is the very reason the embargo began)....

    let's see how you would serve your citizens in the face of the livelihoods, their property, and their businesses being stolen by Castro

  6. #16
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    How's that working with China, Saudi Arabia, et al?

    I used to think the same, mind you. But increasingly I find the evidence simply doesn't support that conclusion.
    china is still communist, but they have had to relax and give a little more freedom to the people to allow commerce to expand in china...granted its not perfect.

    but Cuba is not china either, they are giving in a style to the 60's and 70's there...backwards.

    when you allow commerce to flow, and for it to work , some freedom have to be expanded, or its not going to work.

    to me its something which would take time, but the embargo is not working.

    why do we deal with communist china, and deny communist Cuba?

  7. #17
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    china is still communist, but they have had to relax and give a little more freedom to the people to allow commerce to expand in china...granted its not perfect.
    The theory was that the rise of a middle class would require that they demand political power to match their economic power - a theory which now that I look back on it I think someone got from Marx. China opened up under Deng Xiaoping without us, and cracked down after Tiannamen despite us. Our trade with them has done nothing (that I can see) to make it's people freer, and has served to provide economic stability and long-life to a horrific and abusive regime.

    when you allow commerce to flow, and for it to work , some freedom have to be expanded, or its not going to work.
    Other than complete totalitarian state-allocated control over every resource? Yes. But that's hardly much of a baseline.

  8. #18
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The theory was that the rise of a middle class would require that they demand political power to match their economic power - a theory which now that I look back on it I think someone got from Marx. China opened up under Deng Xiaoping without us, and cracked down after Tiannamen despite us. Our trade with them has done nothing (that I can see) to make it's people freer, and has served to provide economic stability and long-life to a horrific and abusive regime.



    Other than complete totalitarian state-allocated control over every resource? Yes. But that's hardly much of a baseline.
    i not going to stake, what i believe as fact, its just how i think, ..you could be correct in your opinon of the situation.

    but i dont see much changing over the last 54 years in our relationship with Cuba.

  9. #19
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i not going to stake, what i believe as fact, its just how i think, ..you could be correct in your opinon of the situation.

    but i dont see much changing over the last 54 years in our relationship with Cuba.
    I would agree. The only difference is that we are not the ones propping up that particular set of abuses. We prop other sadistic, bloody ****'s, but at least that one isn't on the list.

  10. #20
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it's past time. should have ended it a long time ago.
    I would like to visit their but I am concerned about cheap completion for tourism dollars when our fellow Americans are struggling in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Plus florida's citrus and surgar industries could take a hit. At the same time I'm conflicted over competition because there's a part of me that believes after the initial adjustment most competition helps everybody.

    That all said, I feel for the Cuban people.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •