View Poll Results: How important is voting?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very

    39 63.93%
  • Important, but futile

    7 11.48%
  • Meh

    4 6.56%
  • Not very

    2 3.28%
  • Not at all

    3 4.92%
  • Other

    6 9.84%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 100

Thread: How important is voting?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    How important is voting?

    How important is voting?

    1. Very.
    2. Important, but futile.
    3. Meh.
    4. Not very.
    5. Not at all.
    6. Other


    Are you part of the solution, or are you part of the problem?

    • If you're an idiot/uninformed voter, you're part of the problem. You're lazy and/or a sucker for the politicians.
    • If you don't vote at all, because you don't care (and, hence are probably not even here at Debate Politics to read this), you're part of the problem. You're letting the politicians have their way unchallenged.
    • If you don't vote at all, because you think it's futile, you're part of the problem. I don't give a rat's arse how informed you are, or even if you're correct in your conclusions, you're still a sucker for the politicians by providing complicit approval for their actions.
    • I'd rather you be incorrect and vote (provided you're sincere and earnest in your research), than correct and not vote. You may not be correct in your conclusions, but at least you're not a sucker or an enabler. I can accept that.


    Personally, I don't deny the feelings of futility, but at the very least I'm not approving and I can say, "Don't blame me, I didn't approve of what they're doing(by either my action or inaction)."
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,589

    Re: How important is voting?

    If you base your vote on political ads and party loyalty, then it's probably best you just stay home on election day, maybe get yourself a set of pom poms and cheer for your favorite party.

    If you base your vote on issues and candidates, then you're part of the 5% or so who actually make a difference. Better go to the polls.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #3
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: How important is voting?

    I believe that voting is really important.At the same time I think voters who don't really know anything about the candidates shouldn't bother voting.This is why I hate those MTV get out and vote campaigns. It should be get informed and then go out and vote. Ignorant voters are why elected officials have an extremely low approval rating and high incumbent reelection rate.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #4
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: How important is voting?

    Meh. The entrenched hegemony weeds out anybody who'd rock the boat, giving us the "choice" between going South-Southeast or South-Southwest. Not to mention the fact that my state is so gerrymandered, SSW has already been eliminated as a viable option before I even stumble into the polls.

    I'm not a completely stupid guy, but I know practically nothing about local issues. I can burn the cognitive resources to comprehend the legalese summaries, but usually don't bother. Forcing me to expend calculus test levels of mental effort to understand that a local gas station wants to sell booze on Sunday is bull****. I'm indifferent to most of that crap anyway and usually leave them blank.

    There are also so many names on the ballot that I've never heard before. I'll research presidential and senate candidates, but why the **** should I care about the dude checking the veracity of gas pump gauges? Unless there's some kind of scandal, I wouldn't even recognize his name. And even then, I probably would only remember that I heard that name somewhere. When choosing someone for the Podunk Commissioner of Bureaucratic Minutia, I can a) randomly pick whoever's name I like the most b) just blindly vote by party or c) leave the form blank. I normally go with C.

  5. #5
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: How important is voting?

    Voting should be mandatory for all citizens that can legally vote. What is the point of having a democracy if people dont vote or participate.. then we might as well have kept our kings/queens/emperors.
    PeteEU

  6. #6
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    How important is voting?

    1. Very.
    2. Important, but futile.
    3. Meh.
    4. Not very.
    5. Not at all.
    6. Other


    Are you part of the solution, or are you part of the problem?

    • If you're an idiot/uninformed voter, you're part of the problem. You're lazy and/or a sucker for the politicians.
    • If you don't vote at all, because you don't care (and, hence are probably not even here at Debate Politics to read this), you're part of the problem. You're letting the politicians have their way unchallenged.
    • If you don't vote at all, because you think it's futile, you're part of the problem. I don't give a rat's arse how informed you are, or even if you're correct in your conclusions, you're still a sucker for the politicians by providing complicit approval for their actions.
    • I'd rather you be incorrect and vote (provided you're sincere and earnest in your research), than correct and not vote. You may not be correct in your conclusions, but at least you're not a sucker or an enabler. I can accept that.


    Personally, I don't deny the feelings of futility, but at the very least I'm not approving and I can say, "Don't blame me, I didn't approve of what they're doing(by either my action or inaction)."
    Sorry but I rather have the idiots stay home. When they do stay home they are not a problem. They become a problem when they vote. I prefer fewer informed voter than a lot of brain dead ill informed twits.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #7
    Anarcho Facist
    Spriggs05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    07-10-16 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,428

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Voting should be mandatory for all citizens that can legally vote. What is the point of having a democracy if people dont vote or participate.. then we might as well have kept our kings/queens/emperors.
    Democracy is where two idiots can outvote a genius....
    people have a right not to participate, but they don't have a right to moan when they had an opportunity to change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Freedom cannot be brought by foreigners with a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The idiots on this board that fully take the republican or democrat side and think their party is the harbingers of truth and justice and the other, evil scum who are ruining the country. When you realize they're both the latter, you have reached enlightenment.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Voting should be mandatory for all citizens that can legally vote. What is the point of having a democracy if people dont vote or participate..
    Aha, sure. Like the rights to speak freely, associate and (here in USA) bear arms mean we all have to stay in large, heavily armed groups 24/7, talking politics non-stop.

    I understand that there are a few democratic countries (Australia, Brazil, one canton in Switzerland all other cantons are making fun of....) where voting is compulsory, on paper, but since balloting is secret, it is not really enforceable.

    Correct me if I am wrong, Spain had compulsory voting on books in the beginning of the 20th century, but it was abandoned: just too silly.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: How important is voting?

    Depending on circumstances, voting may be very important, marginally important or futile, but it is such a microscopic effort, I have no idea why anyone who has any political preferences at all would neglect to do it.

  10. #10
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggs05 View Post
    Democracy is where two idiots can outvote a genius....
    people have a right not to participate, but they don't have a right to moan when they had an opportunity to change it.
    Disagree fully. It is a duty not a right.
    PeteEU

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •