View Poll Results: How important is voting?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very

    39 63.93%
  • Important, but futile

    7 11.48%
  • Meh

    4 6.56%
  • Not very

    2 3.28%
  • Not at all

    3 4.92%
  • Other

    6 9.84%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 100

Thread: How important is voting?

  1. #81
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I would add that if you don't vote then you lose the right to complain about the government. That said, I think voting is becoming futile, if it wasn't already and sometimes wonder why I bother. So really, the only real reason I vote is so that I can complain. lol
    That's certainly how I feel about national elections. The more local, of course, the more my vote counts.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #82
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I would add that if you don't vote then you lose the right to complain about the government. That said, I think voting is becoming futile, if it wasn't already and sometimes wonder why I bother. So really, the only real reason I vote is so that I can complain. lol
    I can certainly identify with this.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I would add that if you don't vote then you lose the right to complain about the government. That said, I think voting is becoming futile, if it wasn't already and sometimes wonder why I bother. So really, the only real reason I vote is so that I can complain. lol
    Yeah, I agree on principal. But I have had talks with a lot of people who do feel voting is a waste of time. They says it makes no difference who wins, nothing is going to change. The politicians will take care of themselves and those who give them their money and the people will continue to put up with their bull. Taxes will increase, more laws will be passed to make lives miserable, politicians will do just the opposite of what the people want, they grow big, fat and rich off the little guys, the government donít care about those who work, just those who donít, and on and on. They feel, Republican, Democrat, it donít matter, it will be business as usual.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #84
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Correct, so both sides want to use the law to impose their morality on the rest of us. The purpose of government, however, is not to try to make people "moral", but to protect our god given rights.
    you are 100 %correct

  5. #85
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I for one am progressive, and am cool to the idea of forcing people to be moral...
    And, Mr "Right", I'd suggest that you speak with one on welfare....rather than right wing hate radio....
    Or, do you think that those on welfare should not be allowed to vate ??
    you think government should force people to be moral?

    so if that were to happen, and i or you behave in a fashion government ,just does not like, then though we have no hurt anyone government can punish us?

    what if government chooses that having an abortion and is immoral, should they use force......forcing it halt?

    would you care to show me in any constitution where if gives government the authority over the people, constitutions are limiting documents on government , not the people.

    i say they is something wrong, when some people pay no income tax, and vote to raise taxes on other people, and then demonize them as being greedy and selfish.

  6. #86
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    So if economic upheaval that was none of your doing puts you out of a job you also lose your voting status?
    well its seem like sangha, you have you own kind of understanding.

    first... i stated what the founders said, however the founders, did not set the regulation of voting, that was put into the hands of the states.

    states wanted people to have a stake in state affairs, not to be a free rider, but we do know from history people were not able to vote for race or gender, which was wrong.

    explain to me, why a citizen who pays no income taxes, should be able to draw money from our federal goverment, and then call for the ones paying the taxes, to pay even more, and have government even demonize them, government is supposed to work for the people equality, not to use class warfare, and separate the people by policies, political speeches.

  7. #87
    Educator LadyMoonlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New South Wales, Australia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    845

    Re: How important is voting?

    It is compulsory in Australia to vote in the three levels of government; Local, State and Federal. Australians register to vote at 18 and then, if they fail to vote, they are fined. If one is out of the country (eg military personnel) an absentee vote is submitted.
    I think compulsory voting is a good thing. I would vote even if I didn't have to. Voting is not only the right of every citizen, it is the duty of every citizen. Nothing annoys me more than people who don't bother to vote and then spend years whinging about the result of the election. Someone posted that forcing people to vote meant a lot of uninformed voters....there are a lot of uninformed voters whether the vote is compulsory or not, so that argument does not hold. The only uninformed voters are those who disagree with me Looking at America for example, one sees news reports about a Presidental candidate who won the election, and would be inclined to think that America really liked that candidate, but when one remembers that that statistic is based on a relatively small percentage of the population who bothered to vote and then only just over half of them, then the system looks flawed. The vast majority ruled by a small minority who bothered to get off their arses and vote!
    I am glad voting is compulsory in Australia. It is just one of those things we accept. Yes, there are donkey votes (don't know how many) but I believe that, seeing as we are already at the polling booth, might as well vote correctly and have a say in who runs the country. When a party is elected to government, then, generally speaking but not always, it is a truer representation of the wishes of the Australian people.

  8. #88
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well its seem like sangha, you have you own kind of understanding.

    first... i stated what the founders said, however the founders, did not set the regulation of voting, that was put into the hands of the states.

    states wanted people to have a stake in state affairs, not to be a free rider, but we do know from history people were not able to vote for race or gender, which was wrong.

    explain to me, why a citizen who pays no income taxes, should be able to draw money from our federal goverment, and then call for the ones paying the taxes, to pay even more, and have government even demonize them, government is supposed to work for the people equality, not to use class warfare, and separate the people by policies, political speeches.
    We're all part of the same society whether you like it or not. I know it's a damn shame you have to share your country with those poor, unworthy souls who for one reason or another can't seem to work 60 hours a week to buy a 10x10' chunk of ground just so they can have a say in their own government, which according to you isn't even their government unless they have financial proof to the contrary. Last time I looked poll taxes were illegal regardless of the form they take.


    I've got a better idea. How about we make everyone establish that they've actually worked 40 yours a week before they can vote. Even if you're rich, if you can't get off your fat ass and work for the community 40 hours a week then, you don't deserve a vote. (and that goes for the unemployed, too, but job hunting counts for them) That way the people that actually do all the real things that make the country run are the ones that vote. We'll make an exception for people over 65 so that they only have to work 20 hours a week.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 04-27-13 at 10:08 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #89
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    We're all part of the same society whether you like it or not. I know it's a damn shame you have to share your country with those poor, unworthy souls who for one reason or another can't seem to work 60 hours a week to buy a 10x10' chunk of ground just so they can have a say in their own government, which according to you isn't even their government unless they have financial proof to the contrary. Last time I looked poll taxes were illegal regardless of the form they take.


    I've got a better idea. How about we make everyone establish that they've actually worked 40 yours a week before they can vote. Even if you're rich, if you can't get off your fat ass and work for the community 40 hours a week or you don't deserve a vote. (and that goes for the unemployed, too) That way the people that actually do all the manufacturing, filing, supplying, and running the country in general are the ones that vote. We'll make an exception for people over 65 so that they only have to work 20 hours a week.
    i know you will not like this and just cannot accept it, but because people can vote for what is in their personal interest, for all 3 federal politicians, it is causing the downfall of america......because of greed of ones self..

  10. #90
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    It is compulsory in Australia to vote in the three levels of government; Local, State and Federal. Australians register to vote at 18 and then, if they fail to vote, they are fined. If one is out of the country (eg military personnel) an absentee vote is submitted.
    I think compulsory voting is a good thing. I would vote even if I didn't have to. Voting is not only the right of every citizen, it is the duty of every citizen. Nothing annoys me more than people who don't bother to vote and then spend years whinging about the result of the election. Someone posted that forcing people to vote meant a lot of uninformed voters....there are a lot of uninformed voters whether the vote is compulsory or not, so that argument does not hold. The only uninformed voters are those who disagree with me Looking at America for example, one sees news reports about a Presidental candidate who won the election, and would be inclined to think that America really liked that candidate, but when one remembers that that statistic is based on a relatively small percentage of the population who bothered to vote and then only just over half of them, then the system looks flawed. The vast majority ruled by a small minority who bothered to get off their arses and vote!
    I am glad voting is compulsory in Australia. It is just one of those things we accept. Yes, there are donkey votes (don't know how many) but I believe that, seeing as we are already at the polling booth, might as well vote correctly and have a say in who runs the country. When a party is elected to government, then, generally speaking but not always, it is a truer representation of the wishes of the Australian people.
    Possible, but here in the states where you get somewhere between 50-55% of elegible voters actually voting in a presidential election, it is around 35% in midterm. Some of the reasons they give for voting for a particular candidate is dumbfounding. You get, well he looked more presidential, he was more handsome, I liked his smile, my wife, my husband or parents and or friends voted for him, I like where he is from, he has a pretty wife, he likes dogs, he likes cats, and on and on and on. You ask any one of these where the candidate they voted for stands on any issue, they respond, I don't know.

    So even with less than 55% of Americans voting, you have quite a few that have no idea who or what they are voting for.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •