View Poll Results: How important is voting?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very

    39 63.93%
  • Important, but futile

    7 11.48%
  • Meh

    4 6.56%
  • Not very

    2 3.28%
  • Not at all

    3 4.92%
  • Other

    6 9.84%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100

Thread: How important is voting?

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,928

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Voting is important but futile. It is futile because the game is rigged with the two party system. The clearest example of this is in 3 for instances.

    1. 2000 election -- victim: Ralph Nader
    2. 2012 election -- victim: Gary Johnson
    3. 2012 election -- victim: Ron Paul

    The first two should be obvious for the fact that they weren't allowed to debate. Why? Because some corporate based non authorized "authority" came up with a set of arbitrary rules determining what qualifications must be met in order to get a seat at the table. Among which is a minimum 15% polling status. The Problem, this same authority who contributes monies to the polling agencies makes sure the candidates they wish to seclude i.e. Ralph Nader and Gary Johnson, are left odd most polls. This is very convenient. Need to poll at 15% and then exclude their names from the majority polls. This isn't the only transgression but it is the most prominent.

    The third, Ron Paul should be obvious to anyone who paid attention to the RNC convention last election cycle with the inter-party parliamentary parlor tricks the governing authority took to move the goal posts to have his delegates seated.

    All of this plus more which I haven't the time nor inclination to get into shows me that their are forces at work within our electoral system which are determined to corral the voting populous into choosing between two individuals of these unseen forces choosing. The unseen force being the consensus of corporate interests.
    If you want to make a difference, become active in local politics. You have to stop the rascals before they can get out of town, and this is where you do it. It's also where your vote counts. Check out the percentage of voters in your community who actually vote in local/county/district elections, particularly in non-Presidential years. Even when the issues are important, in my town, it's about 6-10% in good years.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,951
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    How important is voting?

    1. Very.
    2. Important, but futile.
    3. Meh.
    4. Not very.
    5. Not at all.
    6. Other


    Are you part of the solution, or are you part of the problem?

    • If you're an idiot/uninformed voter, you're part of the problem. You're lazy and/or a sucker for the politicians.
    • If you don't vote at all, because you don't care (and, hence are probably not even here at Debate Politics to read this), you're part of the problem. You're letting the politicians have their way unchallenged.
    • If you don't vote at all, because you think it's futile, you're part of the problem. I don't give a rat's arse how informed you are, or even if you're correct in your conclusions, you're still a sucker for the politicians by providing complicit approval for their actions.
    • I'd rather you be incorrect and vote (provided you're sincere and earnest in your research), than correct and not vote. You may not be correct in your conclusions, but at least you're not a sucker or an enabler. I can accept that.


    Personally, I don't deny the feelings of futility, but at the very least I'm not approving and I can say, "Don't blame me, I didn't approve of what they're doing(by either my action or inaction)."
    I haven't missed voting in an election since I turned 21 and voted for Barry Goldwater. But on the national stage it is getting harder and harder to choose a candidate that the two major parties offer us. It becomes a question, do I vote for the lesser of two evils, for the least worst candidate among the two major parties or do I vote for a candidate I truly believe would make the best president even if I know he has no chance of winning.

    For 5 out of the last 6 presidential elections, I voted for whom I thought was the best candidate even though he was not running as a Republican or Democrat. My reason was after all, even if I voted for the least worst of the two major party candidates, I would still be left with a bad president.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #63
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    If you want to make a difference, become active in local politics. You have to stop the rascals before they can get out of town, and this is where you do it. It's also where your vote counts. Check out the percentage of voters in your community who actually vote in local/county/district elections, particularly in non-Presidential years. Even when the issues are important, in my town, it's about 6-10% in good years.
    I can disagree with nothing you say. However the problem stems from the people at the top and thereby the furthest away from the voting public. They are constantly in a state of concentrating more and more power. Then the problem becomes like that of Ron Paul. When you build up your base of support within the rules defined, they simply change the rules.

  4. #64
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    looking at 1787, with 2013 eyes?
    No. I'm just not giving them qualities they didn't have.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    yes, those that only take and give nothing in return.

    those that want to use the power of government to prey on others, for their benefit.
    You mean those who would impose their morals on the rest of us by force of law?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #66
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I haven't missed voting in an election since I turned 21 and voted for Barry Goldwater. But on the national stage it is getting harder and harder to choose a candidate that the two major parties offer us. It becomes a question, do I vote for the lesser of two evils, for the least worst candidate among the two major parties or do I vote for a candidate I truly believe would make the best president even if I know he has no chance of winning.

    For 5 out of the last 6 presidential elections, I voted for whom I thought was the best candidate even though he was not running as a Republican or Democrat. My reason was after all, even if I voted for the least worst of the two major party candidates, I would still be left with a bad president.
    I thought Romney would have made a decent president, and still do. We'll never know now, of course, I still didn't vote for him. Here in Obamastan, aka California, the outcome of this state's presidential election at least was a foregone conclusion, so I voted for the best candidate, Gary Johnson, knowing that it was at best a protest vote.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I thought Romney would have made a decent president, and still do.
    Then you are part of the problem.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Then you are part of the problem.
    Is everyone who disagrees with your point of view a part of the problem?

    It seems to me that overspending in Washington is a large part of the problem, and that someone with real world business experience and a track record of bipartisanship would have been able to solve at least some of the problems.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #69
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,951
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I thought Romney would have made a decent president, and still do. We'll never know now, of course, I still didn't vote for him. Here in Obamastan, aka California, the outcome of this state's presidential election at least was a foregone conclusion, so I voted for the best candidate, Gary Johnson, knowing that it was at best a protest vote.
    Obamastan, now that gave me a chuckle. I too voted for Gary Johnson, but not as a protest vote, as a vote for whom I thought would make the best president. Romney won Georgia, but it was closer than it should have been here. A lot of Republicans really didn't trust Romney and when they voted, there wasn't the enthusiasm I seen from them in the past.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: How important is voting?

    Yes, but then you have to remember that he is a liar and a cheat. He's flipped flopped so many times that there really is no "real Mitt." And we saw what he did to Ron Paul throughout the primary process and the RNC, I'd hate to see what happens when he had any kind of real power.

    My fear is that with Romney we'd actually probably have the vaunted gun control legislation because the political tides would have shifted, Romney would have convinced all the RINOs/CINOs to jump on board especially after Newtown, and the left especially would have been galvanized had Romney won.

    I also think we might be at war in Syria right now if Romney won, possibly Iran. Who knows what he would have done to Rand Paul...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •