View Poll Results: How important is voting?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very

    39 63.93%
  • Important, but futile

    7 11.48%
  • Meh

    4 6.56%
  • Not very

    2 3.28%
  • Not at all

    3 4.92%
  • Other

    6 9.84%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100

Thread: How important is voting?

  1. #41
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: How important is voting?

    Individually? Doesn't matter.

    Aside from a handful of local elections throughout US history, 1 vote never mattered.

    In terms of civic principle, super important. But I tend to side with the math.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #42
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Voting should be mandatory for all citizens that can legally vote. What is the point of having a democracy if people dont vote or participate.. then we might as well have kept our kings/queens/emperors.
    voting was not a right under the founders it was a privilege, you own land, you pay taxes, you can vote, otherwise you cant, last.........america is not a democracy, it is a constitutional republic with republican form of government with a mixed constitution.

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    voting was not a right under the founders it was a privilege, you own land, you pay taxes, you can vote, otherwise you cant, last.........america is not a democracy, it is a constitutional republic with republican form of government with a mixed constitution.
    Proof that, as wise as they were, even they had boneheaded ideas at times.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    voting was not a right under the founders it was a privilege, you own land, you pay taxes, you can vote, otherwise you cant, last.........america is not a democracy, it is a constitutional republic with republican form of government with a mixed constitution.
    you own land, you pay taxes, you're a white male, and you can vote
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #45
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    you own land, you pay taxes, you're a white male, and you can vote

    no mention of race, age or gender in the regulation of voting.

    the simple principle is the founders wanted people who had a stake in america.

    question, if you dont pay taxes, do you care if they are raised...........no... you could care less because your not paying.

    do you care if government waste tax money, ...no ....because its not your money.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no mention of race, age or gender in the regulation of voting.

    the simple principle is the founders wanted people who had a stake in america.

    question, if you dont pay taxes, do you care if they are raised...........no... you could care less because your not paying.

    do you care if government waste tax money, ...no ....because its not your money.
    The fact of the matter is that women didn't get the right to vote until well into the 20th. century, and that they were not allowed to own property back in the 18th.

    Moreover, no one whose ancestry was other than European was allowed to vote at the beginning of the republic.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #47
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Proof that, as wise as they were, even they had boneheaded ideas at times.
    The right of suffrage is a fundamental Article in Republican Constitutions. The regulation of it is, at the same time, a task of peculiar delicacy. Allow the right exclusively to property, and the rights of persons may be oppressed. The feudal polity alone sufficiently proves it. Extend it equally to all, and the rights of property or the claims of justice may be overruled by a majority without property, or interested in measures of injustice. Of this abundant proof is afforded by other popular Govts. and is not without examples in our own, particularly in the laws impairing the obligation of contracts.-- james madison

    i have read early American court cases ,where people have sued because they could not vote, in one ruling the judge said flat out....." you sold your land, and your not paying taxes anymore, so you have no vote"
    Last edited by Master PO; 04-24-13 at 02:08 PM.

  8. #48
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The fact of the matter is that women didn't get the right to vote until well into the 20th. century, and that they were not allowed to own property back in the 18th.

    Moreover, no one whose ancestry was other than European was allowed to vote at the beginning of the republic.
    and over time that has changed has it not? because the constitution has changed.

    but the difference is, they wanted people who had a stake in america, be it any race, or sex, those again are not part of the founders ideas.

    remember it is having a stake in america that is the key!

  9. #49
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no mention of race, age or gender in the regulation of voting.

    the simple principle is the founders wanted people who had a stake in america.

    question, if you dont pay taxes, do you care if they are raised...........no... you could care less because your not paying.

    do you care if government waste tax money, ...no ....because its not your money.
    Yes, that's the self-serving rationalization. It all comes down to "my money" so I want to make sure that only people who are most likely to be like-minded get to have a say. Of course it's spun differently, but that's essentially the mindset.

    Fact is, everybody has a stake, everybody pays either directly or indirectly, and everybody is affected by the results. Money (read: wealth in money, land, privilege, etc.) is not, nor should be, the sole criteria. IF they could shield those who didn't pay/vote from the ramifications of the decisions being made, there might be some legitimacy behind it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: How important is voting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    and over time that has changed has it not? because the constitution has changed.

    but the difference is, they wanted people who had a stake in america, be it any race, or sex, those again are not part of the founders ideas.

    remember it is having a stake in america that is the key!
    Is there any citizen of this nation who doesn't have a stake in America?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •