View Poll Results: Vote:

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there probably are more abortion doctors like Gosnell

    24 80.00%
  • No, Gosnell is an anomaly

    6 20.00%
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 268

Thread: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

  1. #41
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,360

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Not unless the only reason this filthy piece of crap is important is because he performed abortions, rather than other procedures.
    If you honestly think I would've been LESS disgusted if this man had been some other kind of doctor who was cutting off the heads of infants, then you don't know me very well.

    If there is a chance there are more doctors out there like this man who is killing children, we need to do something about it. We cannot let these clinics go without inspection for years on end like this guy's clinic was. Yes, in my perfect world, abortion would be incredibly rare and prosecuted if need-be. I know that's not likely to happen anytime soon. But I'm certainly willing to push for more regulations on the abortion industry to ensure that evil like this isn't allowed to exist.


  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    If you honestly think I would've been LESS disgusted if this man had been some other kind of doctor who was cutting off the heads of infants, then you don't know me very well.

    If there is a chance there are more doctors out there like this man who is killing children, we need to do something about it. We cannot let these clinics go without inspection for years on end like this guy's clinic was. Yes, in my perfect world, abortion would be incredibly rare and prosecuted if need-be. I know that's not likely to happen anytime soon. But I'm certainly willing to push for more regulations on the abortion industry to ensure that evil like this isn't allowed to exist.
    You answered your own question, Josie. "We cannot let clinics go without inspection for years on end..." The outraged should be directed at the officials who shirked their duty to protect the Gosnell's patients. If they had done that, he would have been shut down in the 80's.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    And yet there are those who are able to rationalize what Gosnell has done, which is to commit infanticide. Cpwill posted in the Abortion forum from an article in the British Medical Journal:

    ...Nonetheless, to bring up such children might be an unbearable burden on the family and on society as a whole, when the state economically provides for their care. On these grounds, the fact that a fetus has the potential to become a person who will have an (at least) acceptable life is no reason for prohibiting abortion. Therefore, we argue that, when circumstances occur after birth such that they would have justified abortion, what we call after-birth abortion should be permissible. In spite of the oxymoron in the expression, we propose to call this practice ‘after-birth abortion’, rather than ‘infanticide’, to emphasise that the moral status of the individual killed is comparable with that of a fetus (on which ‘abortions’ in the traditional sense are performed) rather than to that of a child. Therefore, we claim that killing a newborn could be ethically permissible in all the circumstances where abortion would be. Such circumstances include cases where the newborn has the potential to have an (at least) acceptable life, but the well-being of the family is at risk. Accordingly, a second terminological specification is that we call such a practice ‘after-birth abortion’ rather than ‘euthanasia’ because the best interest of the one who dies is not necessarily the primary criterion for the choice, contrary to what happens in the case of euthanasia.... After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?
    Killing a newborn could be ethically permissable in all the circumstances where abortion would be?

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    And yet there are those who are able to rationalize what Gosnell has done, which is to commit infanticide. Cpwill posted in the Abortion forum from an article in the British Medical Journal:



    Killing a newborn could be ethically permissable in all the circumstances where abortion would be?
    I have not rationalized what Gosnell did. There is no rationalizing horrific, criminal acts like his.

    That is not abortion and regardless of that opinion, it is infanticide. It is an outlier. An extreme and very disgusting position.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,944

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Gina, I didn't say, nor did I intend to imply, that you have rationalized.

  6. #46
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "Pennsylvania, like other states, permits legal abortion within a regulatory framework. Physicians must, for example, provide counseling about the nature of the procedure. Minors must have parental or judicial consent. All women must wait 24 hours after first visiting the facility, in order to fully consider their decision. But Gosnell's compliance with such requirements was casual at best. At the Women's Medical Society, the only question that really mattered was whether you had the cash. Too young? No problem. Didn't want to wait? Gosnell provided same-day service".
    So it is your argument that the burden of providing counseling over the nature of the abortion procedure is what pushed Gosnell to behead children?


    Well.... it's a theory.




    As to the OP; i would say that there are very likely indeed to be many more facilities where illegal murders of children after abortion take place.

  7. #47
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I have not rationalized what Gosnell did. There is no rationalizing horrific, criminal acts like his.
    Sure there is. Nota Bene posted just such a rationalization.

    That is not abortion and regardless of that opinion, it is infanticide.
    killing a child a few inches outside the womb is morally indistinguishable from killing the same child a few minutes earlier inside the womb.


    It is an outlier. An extreme and very disgusting position.
    Well I'm glad to see you think so - I agree. But I do have to ask, if you believe that this notion is extreme and disgusting, did you vote for the guy who defended it?

  8. #48
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    RE: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Dang, you just made my morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Ignoratio elenchi, also known as irrelevant conclusion, is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may or may not be logically valid, but fails nonetheless to address the issue in question.

    Ignoratio elenchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Cut the bull**** sangha and quit trying to change the subject.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Sure there is. Nota Bene posted just such a rationalization.



    killing a child a few inches outside the womb is morally indistinguishable from killing the same child a few minutes earlier inside the womb.




    Well I'm glad to see you think so - I agree. But I do have to ask, if you believe that this notion is extreme and disgusting, did you vote for the guy who defended it?
    No, she posted a weird, disgusting outlier of an opinion that is beyond law as is your example of inches. Gosnell violated the law. There is no rationalization of that CP.

    CP, read your own link as to what he objected to. It's in the bottom portion. There were protections already in place. Santorum tried this argument in 2011 and it was found "Pants on Fire". PolitiFact | Rick Santorum said Obama said "any child" born prematurely "can be killed"
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  10. #50
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,176

    Re: "The House of Horrors" Gosnell case

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Do you think there are more Kermit Gosnells in this country? (If you don't know the story, you need to know...)

    Abortion Doctor Trial: Coverage of Kermit Gosnell Case Sparks Debate

    If so, what should be done about this?
    Well, I can't really vote.

    Are there probably other doctors like him? I'd wager so.

    Does that mean he's not an anomaly? No. An anamoly is not necessarily "one of a kind." It's just very unusual.

    I would say he's probably very unusual. I say "probably" based mostly on the fact that I've seen any number of abortion clinics over the years, because I've been involved with pro-choice organizations and I have friends who work in or with these kinds of clinics.

    But, on the other hand, as I mentioned in some of the threads about this guy, the inspections process in the US is completely broken. Not just for doctors, either. Infrastructure, OSHA -- they're all just complete crap.

    With no meaningful inspections going on in this country, and given that I don't trust the reports, it's hard for me to say how common it is or isn't. But it runs contrary to my experience.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •