View Poll Results: What would you expect a woman to do in this situation?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get a description, stay calm, dont make sudden movements, call the cops later..

    4 12.90%
  • Throw herself at the gunman and fight for her loved ones, because not doing so would be cowardice.

    5 16.13%
  • Other, explain.

    22 70.97%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 194

Thread: What would you expect a woman to do?

  1. #121
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,637

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Yes.. and this is what we need to bring to the forefront.. These are great men.. our fathers.. our brothers... our peers... We neet to further mens health issues.
    Mostly, men don't think it's manly to go to the doctor. Afraid it makes them look weak. I am fortunate. My husband knows that he would be dead now if not for his doctors, and he makes, and keeps his appointments. Just wish my Father would have done the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  2. #122
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Mostly, men don't think it's manly to go to the doctor. Afraid it makes them look weak. I am fortunate. My husband knows that he would be dead now if not for his doctors, and he makes, and keeps his appointments. Just wish my Father would have done the same.
    This is why we need a concerted effort thru the media to change this perception. Again, one of the issues that I feel very passionately about is getting men the medical attention they need.

    I am very guilty of this. I had torn a ligament in my ankle playing basketball with my friends and tried "walking it off" for 3 weeks. Eventually I did seek medical assistence when I could no longer perform my physical training test for my job. Most jobs don;t require this, so when men get injured, they tend to "walk it off" and never heal. This is why men die much earlier than woman.. among other things like being the only ones expected to fight wars and do risky professions..
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  3. #123
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    All your sources are 2nd hand sources.. are you a socialogist or a statistics major that lead these studies. There are virtually thousands of studies on women's issues, but very very few on men's issues. I agree that men need to speak up and that is what I am advocating for. MEN YOU NEED TO SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!! That is the main problem. Most men are raised from childhood not to complain about being hurt, just to suck it up and move on.
    Linking to the official website for an advocacy group is a "second hand source?" Ok, then.

    What studies are you talking about? I didn't link to any studies.

    Yes, men need to speak up. However, it would behoove them to speak about things that actually exist, which you aren't doing.

    They exist, but they have no support among women obviously because they have been ineffective getting women to pull their weight in these fields. The reason is, as i have said many times, most women want to be privy to all the booty without concequence or risk. Which is why most career fields that keep the foundations of our country solid are populated by men by a VAST VAST majority.
    ...And what evidence of that do you have?

    You're right, women are less likely to go into professions where they know they will be sexually abused. Duh.

    When i see a feminist promoting funding and awareness for prostate cancer, I may concede partially to your point. As it stands, male prostate cancer is still a GIANT issue where as female breast cancer is widely know about.
    Yup. And men need to start talking about their medical needs, or else no one is going to know what they are.

    Women have done that with their own medical needs. They have even shown willingness to do it for mens' medical needs. I don't know what else you can expect.

    And the Mens Rights Movement is comprised of men with legitimate concerns. I don't understand how you can sit there and say that men don't have any legitimate concerns and women do
    I never said men don't have any legitimate concerns. I named several in my posts.

    But the MRA's do themselves no favors with their fantasy-based claims and woman-hating rhetoric. And like I said, some MRA's are women, just like some feminists are men.

    There are some rational MRA's out there, but unfortunately, their voices are completely drowned out by the insanity of the majority of the group. If you want men's issues to get some legitimate attention, then I suggest you distance yourself from that, as I do from radical feminism.

    There are some MRA concepts I disagree with. I am not as ferverent as you might think. The way I see it, is both sexes have concerns. And both sexes deserved to be heard. So when I hear about Mens Rights Movements events being picketed by feminists, or their advertisement posters being torn down, I cringe.
    No, you are definitely not the most fervent I've seen. But you put yourself at risk by simply parroting the talking points of some of the worst extremists. Think for yourself, and do your own homework.

    I've got no problem shutting down radical feminists, and no problem shutting down MRA's for the same reason. If you consider yourself part of this movement, you need to take it back from extremism. Feminism has *never* had such a high percentage of extremists as MRA's do, because MRA is almost entirely an online movement. It has no physical presence.

    I'd like to see a link to women "tearing down" MRA's protests. But I've read of MRA's basically celebrating a guy who shot people in a court room, so... even if that's true, can't say I'm surprised.

    Why don't they fight for both sexes being treated badly? Not just women? That is the difference between feminism and equality.
    Because they are for women's miners. They aren't the union.

    So first you were upset that women "don't advocate for these positions," and now you're upset that they do?

    Those men are misguided. Many are feminists because they are actually the furthest thing from being feminists. It is kind of like yoga. A man sees a bunch of sexy women streatching in tights, of course he is going to want to be in that group of women. He does not care if other men think he is potentially gay for doing yoga. He is just thinking of all the poon he can get by putting all these females on pedestals.
    Oh my god. More tired, parroted rhetoric from the most hateful of the MRA's.

    You're a pretty crap advocate for men's rights. You're painting men as basically slobbering dogs.

    Some.. I would say a vast majority.... But they follow the feminist thinking that they deserve all the respect without earning it.
    No, they don't. They want to be "taken care of" and often have little in the way of personal dreams.

    They aren't part of feminism. They're part of the same machine that is causing probably 80% of the issues you're complaining about.

    Its rampant.... You will not find a TV station that does not have a commercial where a man is bumbing and stubling around like an idiot while the woman is seen as sensible and smart. It is actually comical to both men and women that men are seen in this light. If we were to reverse roles where women are the stupid ones, the station would immediately be sent letters of discontent and protest.
    Yes, but only when that commercial is pertaining to something about house keeping or children.

    It's sexism going both ways: men have no common sense, and women only thrive barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

    Sexism sells. Men get to justify dumping all the domestic work on women because "they're no good at it anyway" and women get to feel superior about something.

    This is a legitimate thing, but again, you're viewing it with blinders. This isn't just "sexism against men." It's a sexism social presentation on the whole, towards both genders.

    If you see it that way, then you really are not interested in eqaulity.
    How is stating the simple fact that women aren't setting those standards mean I'm "not interested in equality?"

    What are women in the US doing to qualify.
    Beside the point. The point is very simple: you cannot make the claim that women aren't interested in the military when they are often disqualified from participating. The final numbers don't reflect the degree of interest.

    The days of visual "seat by the pants" piloting are over. You don't want to argue with me here as I am actually an Aircraft Technician. A woman is just as capable in an Aircraft as a man would be.
    Ok. See, I didn't really know that. I suspect a lot of other women don't either. It will take time for people to understand modern piloting, and we will see if more women wind up participating.

    Interesting... so if this is the case, then why have they manages to succeed in all the lucrative fields.. and not in the less lucrative fields? If this were the case, the equal rights movement would have been stopped across the board. But it seems that in the most lucrative areas, it has succeeded.
    Because sexism lives the most in places that are both rural, and in more physically-based professions. Things like mining are both.

    These are men coming from isolated populations. They are often very sexist, in any profession. These are also guys who pin some of their masculinity in the hands-on work that they do. Therefore, they are much more sexist against women trying to gain footing in those fields.

    It is not a matter of women only excelling in "all the lucrative fields." Women are actually very underrepresented in both higher-level business positions, and in politics.

    Women occupy a lot of lower paying jobs, like service industries.

    But the thing about those fields is that they don't have the rural insularity or the machismo of something like mining. Women are safer in those environments.

    This is an issue as well, an issue that men need to work on. Women have done wonders for women's health. Why not raise awarness of men's health issues. Why are there few women, if any, who are not one sided.
    Why didn't MEN raise awareness for women's health issues?

    Can you name me one rights movement in all of time that hasn't been started by the affected population?

    This point is nothing but whining to put the responsibility on someone other than yourselves. The reason it doesn't get raised is because men don't raise it.

    Although as I've already shown, there ARE women working on men's health issues, even as men continue to resist it.

    At least you acknowledge there is an issue. Women are currently the most influential group of people.. so why do they not care about their husbands, fathers and brothers??
    That is BS. Women are poorer and less represented in government. They are not "the most influential group." That title still goes to rich middle-aged white men.

    Women do care. But at the end of the day, we can't do it for you. You have to do it for yourselves.

    And this internet-based, rant blogging, misogyny circle that is the majority of the MRA "movement" is not going to get you anywhere.

    You need to find reasonable people who are willing to do things in the real world.

    This is where the problem lies. Men are being marginalized in relationships. Which in turn, makes them less likely to commit. Which in turn, leads to more single parent families. Particularly, female run families. Which means, most males who grow up raised by women don't get the "bad cop" treatment they need. With boys, you need to set boundries and hold to them. This is where most moms fail as they are the "nice parent" who lets them off the hook. Example... if he does not finish his vegetables, he still gets the ice cream because he tried really hard.
    Yup, and guess what. If you wanna fix this, and make parenting roles more well-balanced, guess who you need to work with? Feminists. Because it's non-feminists, or half-baked, name-only hypocritical feminists, who perpetuate this type of family.

    Its the fringe feminist ideals that reach the public. Which is why, as I have shown several times, men are still stuck in their traditional roles and there seems to be no social pressure for women to move out of their traditional roles.
    No, they haven't. Almost nothing about fringe feminism has ever gained much traction in the mainstream.

    Fringe feminism does not perpetuate "traditional roles." Do you look at what you're writing? It doesn't even make any sense.

    Look. Here's what you're complaining about. And it's a valid complaint, if only you would stop making up ridiculous narratives for it and mis-attributing it to non-existent things.

    You are complaining about the present bypass in culture that is a result of the mixture of feminism and patriarchy, as society slowly advances towards gender equality.

    It is inevitable that this transition won't go entirely smoothly. It is inevitable that the mixture of more women's rights and remnants of patriarchy will sometimes cause profound, compounded disadvantages.

    Let's take the example of divorce.

    Feminism has resulted in women having more freedom to remove themselves from unhealthy relationships.

    At the same time, remants of patriarchy in the legal system have put men at a unique disadvantage in terms of custody rights and alimony.

    When these two things come together at the same time, the result is a compounded disadvantage for men.

    However, it is not caused by "feminism." It is caused by the incomplete transition from patriarchy to feminism, where women have more rights, but are still considered "helpless."

    This is a problem that a LOT of feminists recognize and work to correct, even though it isn't really their fault. It's just an unavoidable bump in the road during the social transition, which will probably take a couple centuries to fully complete.

    Do you see the point I'm making, here?

  4. #124
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Don't you see that, that is the problem. It is the criticism that effects men the most. As a mother, wife or sister you have ALOT of influence on them. If you are a woman, you understand this concept completely. It has always been a woman's secret weapon, is her sexual influence over men.
    I don't get into relationships based on using poon as a currency, or various methods of exercising control over the other side. I tend to date men who are more intelligent than that, and have more respect for themselves than that.

    I don't call people stupid, but I AM calling the argument stupid. There's a difference between those two things.

    Women don't discourage men from seeing the doctor. Men discourage men from seeing the doctor.

  5. #125
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    This is why we need a concerted effort thru the media to change this perception. Again, one of the issues that I feel very passionately about is getting men the medical attention they need.

    I am very guilty of this. I had torn a ligament in my ankle playing basketball with my friends and tried "walking it off" for 3 weeks. Eventually I did seek medical assistence when I could no longer perform my physical training test for my job. Most jobs don;t require this, so when men get injured, they tend to "walk it off" and never heal. This is why men die much earlier than woman.. among other things like being the only ones expected to fight wars and do risky professions..
    Because they choose not to take care of themselves by going to see the doctor, is not the fault of women and women go to war (Representative Tammy Duckworth lost her legs flying a helicopter in Iraq) are in police and fire departments all over this country.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Unfortunately, we do need them to fight for us. Men are generally subborn but are genetically greatly influence by women. Just as women need help physically in some areas, men also need some help from women.
    I have never been much into being influenced by other people. I generally don't accept advice and I generally don't take kindly to people being up my ass about something that I should be doing, but I'm not. I'm pretty well versed on what I should be doing and telling me about it just comes off as annoying. Look, I damn well know when something is wrong with me and if I'm ignoring it consider it my final choice. I actually do have things wrong with me right now and without going into detail one probably needs surgery and the other if it is actually getting worse as I suspect could cause me impairment. I will do something about them when and if I want too regardless of what the women in my life are telling me to do about it. Yes, my girlfriend and my mother are telling me to deal with the issues and they have been doing it for a while now.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post

    Women don't discourage men from seeing the doctor. Men discourage men from seeing the doctor.
    The only person that discourages me to go to the doctor is myself. I don't even remember the last time I went to doctor, and I have no appoints scheduled right now. I have better things to do than waste my life away in a doctors office. Saying that, I really should go.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-14-13 at 02:50 AM.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    That is your choice, but it is ignorant.
    Perhaps, but like always I will do what I feel like doing.

  9. #129
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,637

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I have never been much into being influenced by other people. I generally don't accept advice and I generally don't take kindly to people being up my ass about something that I should be doing, but I'm not. I'm pretty well versed on what I should be doing and telling me about it just comes off as annoying. Look, I damn well know when something is wrong with me and if I'm ignoring it consider it my final choice. I actually do have things wrong with me right now and without going into detail one probably needs surgery and the other if it is actually getting worse as I suspect could cause me impairment. I will do something about them when and if I want too regardless of what the women in my life are telling me to do about it. Yes, my girlfriend and my mother are telling me to deal with the issues and they have been doing it for a while now.
    See a pattern? Sorry, Henrin. That's a selfish attitude to have. If you are alone, with no family, friends or significant others, you have every right to feel that way. Unfortunately, your "I, I, I, me, me, me" attitude is going to hurt the ones that love you. They are the ones that have to suffer because you didn't take care of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  10. #130
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: What would you expect a woman to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If someone broke into her house and held her at gunpoint tell her he/she is going to rape her husband or her kids?
    I think the question's shortcoming is that it seems to suggest that there is a particular way in which the reader is supposed to assume that women will react.

    As a woman, I can tell you that there have been a number of situations where my reactions have been different from what you might expect of a woman, and I know other women whose reactions have also varied considerably from each other. In fact, even as an individual, your reactions may vary ... how many children? how old? how old is the woman? all of these might influence her reaction far more than simply the fact that she is a woman.

    I would expect also that in many cases, a mother may react differently to threats against her children than she would to threats against non related children or her husband, although not always.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •