View Poll Results: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 37.50%
  • No

    10 62.50%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

  1. #31
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Would you say the same for the same cuts proposed by a Republican?
    Why would it matter who proposes it?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why would it matter who proposes it?
    To a lot of people it does.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #33
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    If North Korean missiles could reach Florida and Pennsylvania, they could help solve the Social Security issue.

    That or institute the society from Logan's Run.

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    To a lot of people it does.
    Yes, they are called republicans and conservatives.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    Democrats might. Liberals and progressives won't.
    I am trying to figure out what you base this on. I am more liberal than democrat. Despite faulty complaints from the lean police(who rarely understand what it means to be either liberal or conservative, democrat or republican), I am about as liberal as one can be. I am staunchly pro civil rights, even when those rights might be used to do things I dislike. I believe in the government trying to ensure some basic level of opportunity and that that opportunity is as good as possible. I favor a strong safety net. Despite that, or maybe in part because of that, I could support such cuts to SS, if the budget package was overall acceptable.

    Being a liberal or progressive does not mean unwilling to compromise. Sometimes we have to accept the political realities and get what we can get, and give what we have to give to get that. Compromise is not some evil thing. In fact, it is how things get done.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, they are called republicans and conservatives.
    Really? Republicans and conservatives are the only ones who are closed minded and play partisanship games now?

    Your own statement begs to differ.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Really? Republicans and conservatives are the only ones who are closed minded and play partisanship games now?

    Your own statement begs to differ.
    Been the case pretty much my whole life.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Yes, it is, but this is not the worst part. The collapse of generational pyramid can be prevented by sharply increasing immigration - and tilting it toward younger people.
    Increasing immigration to increase the amount of people paying in would only work on the first generation as birth rates decrease after such point. That is of course assuming they are skilled enough to not just fall under welfare programs.

  9. #39
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Increasing immigration to increase the amount of people paying in would only work on the first generation as birth rates decrease after such point. That is of course assuming they are skilled enough to not just fall under welfare programs.
    Sure, but high rates of immigration can be sustained indefinitely, in theory. (In practice, our relative attractiveness as final destination may not be sustainable, in its own turn).

    "Skilled enough" is a nebulous concept - we don't know what skills may be in demand a decade or three from now. Inviting a good gardener from Mexico may be a better long-term investment than importing a hockey player from Russia....

    Don't get me wrong: I am all for a complete remaking of Social Security. Just saying that the "Ponzi scheme" aspect we can get away with - for awhile. Indifference of our friends on the left to other obvious flaws of the system is rather puzzling.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Do Any Dems/Liberals/Progressives Support Obamas Cuts To Social Security?

    Yes?
    No?
    Why?
    I've been accused of being a liberal on his very forum. I don't agree but maybe they're right and I am a liberal so I'll weigh in.

    I support phasing out SS over time and replacing it with mandatory contributions each pay day at levels equal to SS contributions into diversified, indexed to the S&P private investment accounts in a way that guarantees continued SS coverage for people who have paid into SS all ther lives but offers a better solution for younger Americans. No withdrawals until 60 and no more than annual equal portions divided by the number of years of their remaining life expectancy plus 5. Preferred withdraws however would be to live off of the return I stead if spending the principle. If a younger worker starts putting away money at 18 every payday and continues to do so every payday until age 60, its very likely they'll be a millionaire at retirement. A conservative annual return on a million dollars is $100,000 a year. Withdraws are tax free like Roth IRAs. Any remaining balance upon the passing of the account holder is fully willable and exempt from inheritance tax. Beats the heck out of SS if you ask me.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 04-11-13 at 12:34 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •