Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 182

Thread: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    If Gay marriage is legal, then there should not be any limitations on who, how many, what species, etc.... can get married. If marriage means nothing (as proven by the legalization of gay marriage), then why not?

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I don't see why not, if all are consenting adults.
    Bingo! As long as they're consenting adults, there is no reason not to allow it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    As far as I know, Mormons don't coerce anyone into polygamous relationships. I know a fair number of Mormons, all of them in monogamous marriages, but of the polygamous marriage practicioners that I've seen, they don't appear to be coerced or urged in any manner.
    Certain sects in certain parts of the country place heavy coercion on the practice. Be that as it is, I still agree with your statement that it's fine as long as consenting adults are involved. I'd like to eliminate (as much as possible) the coercion in those few sects, though.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #64
    Advisor Libertas-Mors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-13 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    370

    Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Certain sects in certain parts of the country place heavy coercion on the practice. Be that as it is, I still agree with your statement that it's fine as long as consenting adults are involved. I'd like to eliminate (as much as possible) the coercion in those few sects, though.
    I agree with that.

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    They shouldn't be barred from living together or being married in a private sense if they don't voilate other laws (such as if one is not consenting or can't consent). The government has no compelling interest to undergo the massive amount of changes to the legal system to account for all the complications that are inherent when adding a third..or more...individual the equation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas-Mors View Post
    Why? Should the state recognize gay marriages? Is the right to marry for consenting adults not universal?
    Because there's a clear middle teir classification being discriminated against in the case of same sex marriage. Men are given a privledge under the law that Women are not given, and vise versa. This requires a high level of reasoning by the government why discriminating against individuals looking to marry the same sex.

    Polygamists don't fit into any particular protected group under the EPC and especially not under a middle or top teir category like gender or race. As such, the burden on the government is significantly lower to justify its discrimination under the law. When you pair that with the significantly greater issues in terms of the impact on the law that comes along with polygamy comparitive to same sex marriage it makes for an easy case of justifying the governments discrimination against such a marriage.

    Or do you foolishly believe everyone that thinks same sex marriage should be legalized just focus or argue baesd on the emotional twattle that people who love each other should have the right to get government perks?

  6. #66
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    So long as all members are of the consenting age and have given their consent, yes, yes, yes.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,495

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Do you have a fondness for 13 year old girls? That is what polygamy is about.
    Wow. Blanket statement completely flooded by ignorance much?

    That's exactly like saying being a catholic priest should be against the law because all catholic priests are pedophiles.

  8. #68
    Advisor Libertas-Mors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-13 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    370

    Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Wow. Blanket statement completely flooded by ignorance much?

    That's exactly like saying being a catholic priest should be against the law because all catholic priests are pedophiles.
    Or that being black should have legal discriminations because all blacks are criminals. The generalities verge on the brink of absurdity from Iguana.

  9. #69
    Advisor Libertas-Mors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-13 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    370

    Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They shouldn't be barred from living together or being married in a private sense if they don't voilate other laws (such as if one is not consenting or can't consent). The government has no compelling interest to undergo the massive amount of changes to the legal system to account for all the complications that are inherent when adding a third..or more...individual the equation.



    Because there's a clear middle teir classification being discriminated against in the case of same sex marriage. Men are given a privledge under the law that Women are not given, and vise versa. This requires a high level of reasoning by the government why discriminating against individuals looking to marry the same sex.

    Polygamists don't fit into any particular protected group under the EPC and especially not under a middle or top teir category like gender or race. As such, the burden on the government is significantly lower to justify its discrimination under the law. When you pair that with the significantly greater issues in terms of the impact on the law that comes along with polygamy comparitive to same sex marriage it makes for an easy case of justifying the governments discrimination against such a marriage.

    Or do you foolishly believe everyone that thinks same sex marriage should be legalized just focus or argue baesd on the emotional twattle that people who love each other should have the right to get government perks?
    It doesn't matter what the 'burden' of the government is. The question is whether polygamists should be able to get married and you have offered nothing compelling of substantive either way.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas-Mors View Post
    I say yes. I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to.
    Should cat-owners be allowed to enter their cats in a dog show?

    According to the foundational appeal to definitive propriety in any such question, the answer is, obviously, no.

    Likewise, since marriage is what it is -- between a man and a woman as husband and wife -- again with respect to definitive propriety, the question itself is ludicrously stupid, and the answer is again, obviously, no.

    Polygamists can have their own-named civil union domestic partnership, legally recognized by government and private enterprise, calling it polmarriage or whatever, but they can't call it marriage, because that civil union domestic partnership is already pre-defined for over 12,000 years and legally pre-named as being what it is -- between a man and a woman as husband and wife.

    It never ceases to amaze me how pre-conceived ideology, left, right, or libertarianly schizoid, can so greatly dumb down its sufferer to the degree that the obvious is rendered nebulous to them.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •