Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 182

Thread: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas-Mors View Post
    That's true. I don't disagree with that.
    I believe the reasoning behind it is that it will harm their children.

  2. #32
    Advisor Libertas-Mors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-13 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    370

    Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    The specific statistical argument he's making couldn't actually be used against gay marriage. There's no history of gay marriage involving control, subjugation and repression (except to the extent that some people are opposed to it).

    To be clear, I don't think such an argument is entirely a valid reason to oppose polygamy either (assuming the proper safeguards are in place), but it's a much better argument in that context than it is with respect to gay marriage.
    1) different statistical arguments could, however, be used. Like the percentage of straight couples vs gay couples that have kids as a reason against gay marriage. I'm not saying that any of these sort of arguments are valid either, just showing how it can be turned on its head.

    2) yes, but if we play games with statistics then we can conjure up all sorts of reasons to discriminate. Refer to point 1: the state would restrict gay marriage since statistically gay couples (even married ones where its legal) are less likely to have children and therefore shouldn't have the same tax breaks. And around and round it goes.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas-Mors View Post
    1) different statistical arguments could, however, be used. Like the percentage of straight couples vs gay couples that have kids as a reason against gay marriage. I'm not saying that any of these sort of arguments are valid either, just showing how it can be turned on its head.

    2) yes, but if we play games with statistics then we can conjure up all sorts of reasons to discriminate. Refer to point 1: the state would restrict gay marriage since statistically gay couples (even married ones where its legal) are less likely to have children and therefore shouldn't have the same tax breaks. And around and round it goes.
    I see your point, but that's a bit tricky. Mostly because the statistical argument you're currently bringing up actually could be equally applied to certain types of straight couple (e.g. an elderly widow and widower getting married) that would preclude any kind of reasoning along straight/gay lines. I think the better response to Ikari's argument is that proper safeguards could be put in place to prevent coercion and the like. The statistical arguments really can't be applied equally

  4. #34
    Advisor Libertas-Mors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-13 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    370

    Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I see your point, but that's a bit tricky. Mostly because the statistical argument you're currently bringing up actually could be equally applied to certain types of straight couple (e.g. an elderly widow and widower getting married) that would preclude any kind of reasoning along straight/gay lines. I think the better response to Ikari's argument is that proper safeguards could be put in place to prevent coercion and the like. The statistical arguments really can't be applied equally
    That all depends on how nuanced you want to get with the law. It could operate in generalities such as gay vs straight couples total population that have kids. The small amount of elderly and impotent couples that marry would be inconsequential in comparison to the larger picture.

    And I think that a proper response to her argument is to first of all point out the fallacy of her reasoning and secondly to proceed as you recommend.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas-Mors View Post
    I say yes. I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to.
    Do you have a fondness for 13 year old girls? That is what polygamy is about.

  6. #36
    Advisor Libertas-Mors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-13 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    370

    Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Do you have a fondness for 13 year old girls? That is what polygamy is about.
    That's analogous to equating gay marriage with pedophilia. Good job captain fallacy.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas-Mors View Post
    That all depends on how nuanced you want to get with the law. It could operate in generalities such as gay vs straight couples total population that have kids. The small amount of elderly and impotent couples that marry would be inconsequential in comparison to the larger picture.

    And I think that a proper response to her argument is to first of all point out the fallacy of her reasoning and secondly to proceed as you recommend.
    I agree with that last sentence (for obvious reasons) but also wanted to point out that Ikari's a dude. He's just an anime fan (apparently).

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Oh, why the hell not? We're on the edge of that slippery slope now . . . let's just get it over with.
    You don't know what a polygamist cult does or you would not say that. It is nothing but a group of men who prey on the female children of each others wives. It is really about molesting children. The male children are thrown out at 18...they are competition and not welcome.

  9. #39
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas-Mors View Post
    I say yes. I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to.
    i agree 100% as long as it follows the general rules

    consenting adults

    polygamy would be lumped together with equal gay rights if it wasnt a new right but i see nothing wrong with it at all following those guidelines.

    the onle real hurdle polygamy has is dropping the stereotype of nonadult forced marriages, whcih objective people get thats not wat all polygamy is and the rules.

    What rules?

    Husband one dies
    wife one lives in house A with 3 kids
    wife two lives in house B with no kids
    wife 3 lives in house B also with 2 kids

    what happens?

    the legality of it is a nightmare as far as coming up with a standard default process.
    Of course im sure each marriage would be custom and there would be legal steps taken to do what the families want but the default situation will be tough.

    but again im all for it as i see ZERO logical reason to be fight against LEGALLY

    a person can be against it personally if they want though
    Last edited by AGENT J; 04-10-13 at 02:15 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #40
    Advisor Libertas-Mors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-13 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    370

    Should polygamists have the right to marry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I agree with that last sentence (for obvious reasons) but also wanted to point out that Ikari's a dude. He's just an anime fan (apparently).
    Lol on both accounts! I guess you can never be too sure about the sex of the poster on the interwebz even when there's a female name.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •