View Poll Results: Should Carnival Cruise Lines reimburse the US Treasury the cost of their tows?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 71.43%
  • No

    6 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

  1. #1
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Don't misinterpret this as a bash on Carnival Cruises. I've been on Carnival Cruises and had fun. However, they've had their problems of late. They've had more than one ship break down and have be towed back in by the US Coast Guard. Of course, they don't pay diddly squat for American taxes because they register their ships in Panama even though about 80 percent of their customers are Americans. I know there are business reasons for that. But we the taxpayer then end up stuck with the bill for millions of dollars to tow their broken ships to port. Shouldn't Carnival have to then reimburse the US Treasury for the money that had to be paid to rescue their ships?

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Don't misinterpret this as a bash on Carnival Cruises. I've been on Carnival Cruises and had fun. However, they've had their problems of late. They've had more than one ship break down and have be towed back in by the US Coast Guard. Of course, they don't pay diddly squat for American taxes because they register their ships in Panama even though about 80 percent of their customers are Americans. I know there are business reasons for that. But we the taxpayer then end up stuck with the bill for millions of dollars to tow their broken ships to port. Shouldn't Carnival have to then reimburse the US Treasury for the money that had to be paid to rescue their ships?
    Are you sure they don't? If they don't, I think they should. Boats that need tows into harbors, etc., pay for the service. I see no reason why they shouldn't pay their way.

    They apparently don't.

    Rock Center’s Harry Smith investigates the growing outrage swirling around cruise line corporation, Carnival, and its CEO, Micky Arison. A powerful senior senator says that the cruise line is making "treacherous" choices on the seas that are costing taxpayers millions.
    Video here: Carnival Cruise takes Congressional heat - Video on NBCNews.com
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,704

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    The cruise lines do pay US taxes in the form of docking fees.

  4. #4
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    The cruise lines do pay US taxes in the form of docking fees.
    They pay some taxes, but what they pay is very low. Here's an article about that:
    Ship Isn't The Only Thing That Stinks At Carnival: Low Tax Rate Stirs Ire - Forbes

    Maybe they should reimburse the US taxpayer for their tows. It was there ships whose engines konked out and had other problems, leaving us to pay for their tows.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,704

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    They pay some taxes, but what they pay is very low. Here's an article about that:
    Ship Isn't The Only Thing That Stinks At Carnival: Low Tax Rate Stirs Ire - Forbes

    Maybe they should reimburse the US taxpayer for their tows. It was there ships whose engines konked out and had other problems, leaving us to pay for their tows.
    If you're expecting me to be upset because they only pay a 1% tax rate then don't hold your breath. Any and all taxes a corporation pays come out of the customers pocket so I'm generally happier the less they pay.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    I think it's a very acceptable position to see that this private company pays for any special services it requests of the collective piggybank (us)....................

  7. #7
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    If you're expecting me to be upset because they only pay a 1% tax rate then don't hold your breath. Any and all taxes a corporation pays come out of the customers pocket so I'm generally happier the less they pay.
    So what about just letting them keep that rate under the understanding that if they need tows due to the equipment malfunctions that they're responsible for upkeeping, they have to reimburse the US treasury. Isn't that fair? They're highly profitable and we're their biggest customer.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,704

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    So what about just letting them keep that rate under the understanding that if they need tows due to the equipment malfunctions that they're responsible for upkeeping, they have to reimburse the US treasury. Isn't that fair? They're highly profitable and we're their biggest customer.
    Seriously, who cares? It's not like we only pay for the coast guard when they tow a ship. We pay for them 24/7 and this is part of their job. The boats don't just sit at the pier until we "need" them for something.

  9. #9
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Seriously, who cares? It's not like we only pay for the coast guard when they tow a ship. We pay for them 24/7 and this is part of their job. The boats don't just sit at the pier until we "need" them for something.
    I do. It costs extra when one of their ships needs to be towed. It's been costing between 800K and 1 million per ship, and they've had numerous incidents over the past decade.

  10. #10
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Should the Carnival Cruise company have to reimburse the US treasury?

    Not up on all the details, but it sounds like Carnival is trying to dump their negative externalities onto the government. We need to accept the reality that companies will maximize their profits without honor by exploiting dubious accounting tricks and general douche baggery. The government should not be allowed to take it like a chump just because a few politicians got their palms greased; the taxpayers are the ones required to foot the bill and conservatives are already smothering the economy with their assertions that the world will end if we don't reign in the deficit.

    That means charging them for gas, the mileage put on the tow boats and other equipment, wages for the hours put in by the coast guard's people, and fees for having to reschedule whatever else they were going to do. Maybe the taxpayers should hire some of those slimy bastards that comes up with these sorts of ideas for the banking industry.
    Last edited by ChunkySalsa; 04-06-13 at 03:03 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •