View Poll Results: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant one?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gays

    19 27.14%
  • Straights

    51 72.86%
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 526

Thread: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

  1. #31
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    I would be on gay marriage side if they would stop using the word "right" when they really mean "taxes"
    There are also important rights tied up within the institution of marriage. The declaration of your spouse as next-of-kin comes to mind.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,376

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Here is what I believe when it comes to gay rights........I believe in equal rights for all Americans that includes gays.....I don't care what gays do when it comes to marriage but I believe the definition of marriage should be a union between a man and a woman and that should not change...Gays can call their union anything else they want to. They already stole the definition of the word gay...That is my opinion but gays and flaming liberals think I have no right to that opinion...They think because I believe as I do that I am a bigot or homophobe. I am not allowed to have my own opinion if it disagrees with theirs...Now I ask you who are the intolerant ones?
    You have every right to your opinion even if it is wrong. Perhaps if straight people actually acted like marriage was a Sacred vow instead of divorcing at record rates, I would understand your point of view. Marriage is a civil contract nothing more and no couple of adult persons should be denied that contract. Stop making a big deal about nothing.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    The people who are opposed to equal rights for gays-- and yes, that includes marriage-- are the intolerant ones. Period, full stop. It's stupid this is even a question.
    The problem with this point of view is there isn't one set of rights for those who are straight and another for those who are gay.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post

    Nope you have to stand up and be counted not sit on the fence.
    Exactly. My position on the issue, not my sexual preference, is what counts. There are heteros on both sides. There are gays on both sides. there are heteros and gays who couldn't care less either way. There are heteros and gays who feel very passionantly one whatever side they are on. Your poll doesn't reflect that. Add more choices.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    There are also important rights tied up within the institution of marriage. The declaration of your spouse as next-of-kin comes to mind.
    All you are talking about here is having the government recognize the spouse as on the list of next-kin where otherwise it would not be.

  6. #36
    Educator hallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Last Seen
    10-23-15 @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    620

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    There are also important rights tied up within the institution of marriage. The declaration of your spouse as next-of-kin comes to mind.
    You don't need the government to make the declaration. You do need the government to escape the estate tax which is the reason for the second case before the SCUTUS. If love, kids, stable families are all rationales off the table for reasons for marriage (which I agree somewhat given the standpoint of hetro marriage), then the only reason to get marriage from a practical everyday standpoint is taxes. The idea of the hospital visitation only comes into play on rare circumstances and one doesn't get married because of it. But taxes...thats everyday. My question is why can't the gay rights movement just be honest about this.

  7. #37
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    You don't need the government to make the declaration. You do need the government to escape the estate tax which is the reason for the second case before the SCUTUS. If love, kids, stable families are all rationales off the table for reasons for marriage (which I agree somewhat given the standpoint of hetro marriage), then the only reason to get marriage from a practical everyday standpoint is taxes. The idea of the hospital visitation only comes into play on rare circumstances and one doesn't get married because of it. But taxes...thats everyday. My question is why can't the gay rights movement just be honest about this.
    It always comes down to the money...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Here is what I believe when it comes to gay rights........I believe in equal rights for all Americans that includes gays.....I don't care what gays do when it comes to marriage but I believe the definition of marriage should be a union between a man and a woman and that should not change...Gays can call their union anything else they want to. They already stole the definition of the word gay...That is my opinion but gays and flaming liberals think I have no right to that opinion...They think because I believe as I do that I am a bigot or homophobe. I am not allowed to have my own opinion if it disagrees with theirs...Now I ask you who are the intolerant ones?
    What I think you are can wait for another area in this forum.

    I think you missed the day in school that taught a very simple life skill.

    SHARING

    A hetro couple doesn't have to surrender all or part of their marriage for a same sex couple to have a marriage for themselves. My wife and I have a marriage, non church officiated, of 26 years. We won't have to give up any of our marriage to 'give' same sex folks marriage.

    Next, you are quite stingy with words, a word can have more than one meaning and through time a word can change from meaning one thing to another.

    If the gays 'stole' the word gay then who 'stole' the word f****t and made it a slur toward gay men? As I recall the word used to mean a bunch of sticks, or slang for a cigarette, now it is a slur for gay men... what happened, who was that thief???

    Learn to share things you don't really own and can't stop others from using, be it a self descriptive word, or a term to describe a deep relationship with another in at the very least the eyes of the law.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    You don't need the government to make the declaration.
    Indeed. All you would need is a contract to make them on the list. The government doesn't need to be charge of this to make that a reality. I'm not sure where he is getting the idea its a right to have them on the list automatically though.

  10. #40
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    OK sports fans what do you think, Please explain your choice. Thanks for participating.
    Whichever douche bag decides to resort to slanders first. It's like a race to failure, almost makes me wish I ate popped corn.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •