View Poll Results: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant one?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gays

    19 27.14%
  • Straights

    51 72.86%
Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 526

Thread: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

  1. #91
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Right, and we don't care. Because definitions change.

    Look, you know how certain arguments just don't have any appeal to the other side? I'll give you a textbook case example: in the abortion debate the pro-choice side will often make the case that if abortions are illegal, women will be forced to get illegal abortions! What they don't understand is that such an argument has no appeal to a position that believes abortions are equivalent to murder. Get what I'm saying?

    The argument that we're trying to change the definition of marriage has equal impact: zero. Every time you or anyone else makes that argument, you're doing it solely for the benefit of each other. As I said, we just skim past it or roll our eyes.
    I call BS. If you didn't care you wouldn't be lobbying so hard to get the right of "marriage". You want the definition changed to eliminate the "one man, one woman" provision. If you didn't care...there would not be an "equal but separate is never equal" arguement.

    The whole thing is about "marriage" and what that term means. under the current legal/traditional definition, gays cannot enter into a marraige. supporters of SSM want to change that.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #92
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Here is what I believe when it comes to gay rights........I believe in equal rights for all Americans that includes gays.....I don't care what gays do when it comes to marriage but I believe the definition of marriage should be a union between a man and a woman and that should not change...Gays can call their union anything else they want to. They already stole the definition of the word gay...That is my opinion but gays and flaming liberals think I have no right to that opinion...They think because I believe as I do that I am a bigot or homophobe. I am not allowed to have my own opinion if it disagrees with theirs...Now I ask you who are the intolerant ones?
    I have no problem with that as long as the government no longer recognizes "marriage" as a legal institution - it should be kept strictly as a religious institution. People can sign civil union contracts when they get married, if they wish, but it shouldn't be required.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #93
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I call BS. If you didn't care you wouldn't be lobbying so hard to get the right of "marriage". You want the definition changed to eliminate the "one man, one woman" provision. If you didn't care...there would not be an "equal but separate is never equal" arguement.

    The whole thing is about "marriage" and what that term means. under the current legal/traditional definition, gays cannot enter into a marraige. supporters of SSM want to change that.
    Here is an article about the changing definition of marriage.
    Dictionaries recognize same-sex marriage. - Slate Magazine

    But in their latest editions, the dictionaries have begun to switch sides—though until recently, no one seemed to have much noticed. The American Heritage Dictionary, Black's Law Dictionary, the Oxford English Dictionary, and Webster's have all added same-sex unions to their definitions of marriage. * The right-wing Web site WorldNetDaily broke the news in March about Webster's, reporting that the dictionary had "resolved the argument" over gay marriage by applying the ancient term "to same-sex duos."
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  4. #94
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I call BS. If you didn't care you wouldn't be lobbying so hard to get the right of "marriage". You want the definition changed to eliminate the "one man, one woman" provision. If you didn't care...there would not be an "equal but separate is never equal" arguement.

    The whole thing is about "marriage" and what that term means. under the current legal/traditional definition, gays cannot enter into a marraige. supporters of SSM want to change that.
    We don't care...in response to the argument, "you're trying to change the definition!"

    supporters of SSM want to change that.
    That's right. Deal with it.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 04-02-13 at 11:49 AM.

  5. #95
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    Why didn't you show the FULL definition?
    because it is irrelevent to the discussion on "change"... a "similar institution" is not "the same" as a marriage. (SSM supporters want to change the definiton to make them one and THE SAME.


    Or the Black's law dictionary 9th edition definition:
    "The legal union of a couple as spouses."
    and under current laws... "a couple" is defined as one man and one woman" SSM supporters want to change that.

    again... "LIKE THAT of a traditional marriage" =/= a marriage

    SSM supporters want to change the definition of marriage.

    All that said (and as I've said a zillion times here) I support SSM. Just don't try to BS me and claim that you don't care about the definition of marriage.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #96
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    We don't care...in response to the argument, "you're trying to change the definition!"
    you want the same "rights" as hetero couples and you want your union to be called the same thing, so what then are you trying to change?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #97
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you want the same "rights" as hetero couples and you want your union to be called the same thing, so what then are you trying to change?
    Is that a joke?

  8. #98
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    OK sports fans what do you think, Please explain your choice. Thanks for participating.
    Just because you live in a black/white world doesn't mean that everybody else does. Your polls always lack enough options. At the very least, you should have included "Both" as a poll option, probably "Neither", and "Other" would have been appropriate as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #99
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    because it is irrelevent to the discussion on "change"... a "similar institution" is not "the same" as a marriage. (SSM supporters want to change the definiton to make them one and THE SAME.




    and under current laws... "a couple" is defined as one man and one woman" SSM supporters want to change that.



    again... "LIKE THAT of a traditional marriage" =/= a marriage

    SSM supporters want to change the definition of marriage.

    All that said (and as I've said a zillion times here) I support SSM. Just don't try to BS me and claim that you don't care about the definition of marriage.
    Legally in several states marriage is any two non related consenting adults.
    When DOMA falls, that will be the federal definition too.

    Must suck to be on the wrong side of history.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  10. #100
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: When the issue is gay marriage who are the intolerant ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    It doesn't have to descend into wanton butchery to be discrimination.
    It also takes more than wanton wants to make it discrimination.

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •