View Poll Results: Could you accept no government recognized marriages as a compromise?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I oppose SSM but could accept no government recognized marriage as a compromise.

    6 7.59%
  • I support SSM but could accept no government reconized marriage as a compromise

    24 30.38%
  • I oppose SSM It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    7 8.86%
  • I support SSM. It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    42 53.16%
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 503

Thread: Same sex marriage compromise

  1. #431
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    06-22-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't think there is that much that can be done about it. You either treat it like any other entitlement which isn't going to work for long or you invest the money and hope it grows.
    Less than 10% of SS going out is to spouses and in order for a person to get spousal SS they must give up their own entitlement. While SS may need to be changed, it is not really significant in anyway to the issue of same sex marriage because any paid to same sex spouses would be so small it is easily made up for by other considerations such as less people on Medicaid/Medicare due to being on a spouse's private insurance.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #432
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    06-03-18 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Same sex marriage compromise-image-jpg
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  3. #433
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    We have marriage. We have to have some form of protection for legal kinship between two unrelated or not closely enough related people. We don't need to take it away just because some idiots don't want to share the term with couples they don't feel deserve it.

    No compromise. I will continue to support same sex marriage being completely legally recognized throughout the US and nothing less. It will happen.

    Guess what?

    On his radio program Wednesday, the 27th of March, Rush Limbaugh said, "I think that the inertia is clearly moving in the direction that there is going to be gay marriage at some point nationwide."

    WOW!

    Well, I never thought that I would find myself agreeing with Rush Limbaugh, but there it is. Never say never.

    It looks like Mr. Limbaugh isn't totally out of touch with reality after all.

    This will definitely change the political landscape in the USA in ways that we can only guess about now, because this is uncharted territory.

    Read more from Limbaugh here: Rush Limbaugh: Same-sex marriage will be legal nationwide



    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  4. #434
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    So if you don't reserve for yourself the right to marry someone of the same-sex, you're not intolerant when you deny that right to anyone else.

  5. #435
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Guess what?

    On his radio program Wednesday, the 27th of March, Rush Limbaugh said, "I think that the inertia is clearly moving in the direction that there is going to be gay marriage at some point nationwide."

    WOW!

    Well, I never thought that I would find myself agreeing with Rush Limbaugh, but there it is. Never say never.
    He's been saying that for years. Saying something is inevitable is not supporting it. If you tell someone you're going to die from cancer, that doesn't cure your cancer.

  6. #436
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    He's been saying that for years. Saying something is inevitable is not supporting it.



    Where did I say that he supported gay marriage?

    Those are your words, not mine.

  7. #437
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So if you don't reserve for yourself the right to marry someone of the same-sex, you're not intolerant when you deny that right to anyone else.


    Again, that last phrase is your words, not mine.

    You can be as intolerant as you want to be, won't cost me a nickle.

    Don't try to put your words in my mouth again, OK?

    I don't play that game.

  8. #438
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Again, that last phrase is your words, not mine.
    To be fair, the first part wasn't your words, either. They were the words of Robert Green Ingersoll.

  9. #439
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    06-22-18 @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,368

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Marriage has always been about a man and a woman as husband and wife.

    Anything else has never been marriage.

    Your spin is irrelevent.
    Your historical re-writing is irrelevant. Simply because you do not wish to recognize what people in the past have done, does not mean it has not happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I'd say marriage is/was about two things" Sex when your young and putting up with the old bag when you grow old.
    Again, look back at history. Marriages were arranged more often than they weren't. Sex was a duty within the marriage and was also an activity sought out outside of it for pleasure. I mean not always, as the lower on the economic/social ladder you were the less time you had for any such "extra curricular" activities. But it was not uncommon for the well off to have lovers on the side. In some of the eastren cultures it was even expected and the wife might even help her husband to select his mistress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Biologically speaking, according to natural selection, gay marriage would not be worth a damn to the evolution of our species, besides the obvious extinction of people who want to cohabit with others of the same sex.
    Biologically speaking, according to natural selection, marriage with one or both partners being sterile would not be worth a damn to the evolution of our species.

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Marriage to "the person you love" is not a basic fundamental right.
    Or it is and it just hasn't caught up through the legal system yet. Similar to how freedom from slavery is a basic fundamental right yet for the blacks it wasn't there till much later.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, everything I said is correct. It is private property, everyone does have a right to control access to their property, and therefore they have a right to deny whoever they want from having access and use of their property. This comes from understanding property.
    I saw several other posts on this so this is just the one I'm using to reference to the sub-topic.

    If a country's government controls the media and tells them what they can and can not write, we claim that the people are denied their right to freedom of press. I can't even begin to count the number of times that I hear of this country or that denying people their rights. So obviously these rights exist regardless of what the law states. Therefore noting that what Henrin claims as a right runs contrary to law is not an argument, unless you want to argue that in mid east countries women are not being denied rights because the law there says they have none. Therefore, you need to come up with a compelling argument as to why is it not a property's owner's right to run a business and deny whoever they wish access to the business other than it's the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It fails for me as well. There are heterosexual who can have children, but can marry. Homosexuals can adopt and raise kids. And people do marry for reasons other than children. He's also correct that we will keep making babies, not that a few less around the world wouldn't hurt.
    Did you mean "There are heterosexual who can't have children, but can marry."?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes you do, read what you wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    None of the above. I support nationally recognized civil unions for any two consenting adults.
    So if a man marries a bisexual woman, and they decide later to add another woman to their union, you would discriminate against them.

    Religious bigotry a it's finest.
    It really depends upon how the law is set up and how you read what Ali is saying. It could be set up that each marriage/civil union is only between two consenting adults, but that a given person may simultaneously possess multiple marriages/civil unions. Therefore, he's not discriminating against group families. Or he could be simply be limiting with in the current scope of events and saving the multi-spouse issue for later when it is more feasible. After all the current topic is in regards to two person only relationships.

    And when did Ali bring in religion to the topic? Seems like you're assigning.

  10. #440
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,366
    Blog Entries
    34

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post

    Again, look back at history. Marriages were arranged more often than they weren't. Sex was a duty within the marriage and was also an activity sought out outside of it for pleasure. I mean not always, as the lower on the economic/social ladder you were the less time you had for any such "extra curricular" activities. But it was not uncommon for the well off to have lovers on the side. In some of the eastren cultures it was even expected and the wife might even help her husband to select his mistress.

    Yeah, the Romans were famous for visiting the brothels. So was I when I was stationed In Bangkok. The papasan of my apartment complex had five wives, so I doubt he needed to visit too many brothels.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •