View Poll Results: Could you accept no government recognized marriages as a compromise?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I oppose SSM but could accept no government recognized marriage as a compromise.

    6 7.59%
  • I support SSM but could accept no government reconized marriage as a compromise

    24 30.38%
  • I oppose SSM It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    7 8.86%
  • I support SSM. It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    42 53.16%
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 503

Thread: Same sex marriage compromise

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    And if California tried to outlaw guns....guess what.....the Supremacy clause would prohibit it. As for marriage being a fundamental right....see Loving v. Virginia. Supreme Court.
    I assure you that supremacy clause is not a catch all that allows the federal government to do whatever it pleases. Just like always the power needs to be listed.

  2. #252
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Federalist 33
    Federalist 44

    You're wrong. Pick your poison.
    LOL...You might need a refresher on your history. The Federalist Papers are not the law of the land, the Constitution is. You are aware, are you not, that the Federalists also opposed the formation of the Bill of rights? Yeah....they lost that argument as well.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #253
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,605

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    And if California tried to outlaw guns....guess what.....the Supremacy clause would prohibit it. As for marriage being a fundamental right....see Loving v. Virginia. Supreme Court.
    So, since 1967 all state's marriage laws must have added SSM provisions? What about polygamy as a "legitimate" form of marriage?

    What the Bible says about polygamy
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #254
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I assure you that supremacy clause is not a catch all that allows the federal government to do whatever it pleases. Just like always the power needs to be listed.
    I never said it did. However, The Supremacy clause trumps state power when dealing with either enumerated rights or fundamental rights are defined by the SCOTUS. That's just the way it is.....sorry.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #255
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So, since 1967 all state's marriage laws must have added SSM provisions? What about polygamy as a "legitimate" form of marriage?

    What the Bible says about polygamy
    There certainly is a good argument to be made for polygamy. As long as we are talking about consenting adults. That issue remains to be seen. But I would absolutely support it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I never said it did. However, The Supremacy clause trumps state power when dealing with either enumerated rights or fundamental rights are defined by the SCOTUS. That's just the way it is.....sorry.
    That argument is a great deal different than your original argument.

  7. #257
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    What must be considered, however, is that if the Supreme Court determines that same sex marriage is constitutional because it's a civil rights abuse otherwise, what's to stop single people from claiming the same civil rights abuse because they are being discriminated against based on their marital status?
    What stops them now? I don't see how SSM changes this issue. Maybe you could do a new poll on ‘Does government recognition of any marriages etc. abuse single people?’
    (Oh, I should have looks at how many posts have been made.)

  8. #258
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That argument is a great deal different than your original argument.
    No it isnt. That has always been my argument.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #259
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So, since 1967 all state's marriage laws must have added SSM provisions? What about polygamy as a "legitimate" form of marriage?

    What the Bible says about polygamy
    I only have one wife, but there has been times when I thought one was one too many.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #260
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If we are doing so much win-win then why do we need a federal gov't that must borrow over $3 billion per day in order to do so? I agree that SSM will not destroy the country, yet it will not save it either. So far, 8 states and DC, have allowed some form of SSM but that does not create a nationwide right or mean that the other states now have less rights to govern themselves, as they see fit. Just what does handing out gov't cash to single parent "families" do to promote stability? How has increasing the out of wedlock childbirth rate, aided by direct gov't subsidiy, helped to create a stable society?
    They are not borrowing that money for marriage. And SSM might save marriage as they might actually marry.

    The right is not in who has allowed, how many or how little, but in the right to equality.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •