View Poll Results: Could you accept no government recognized marriages as a compromise?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I oppose SSM but could accept no government recognized marriage as a compromise.

    6 7.59%
  • I support SSM but could accept no government reconized marriage as a compromise

    24 30.38%
  • I oppose SSM It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    7 8.86%
  • I support SSM. It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    42 53.16%
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 503

Thread: Same sex marriage compromise

  1. #201
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,167

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Only you haven't specified what you offer instead.
    It's the governments business when it ends and dissolution of accumulated assets have to be divvied up and one side, isn't so keen to share equally. Then a court (the state) becomes involved.
    When it comes to property disputes, there's already all kinds of laws about how to go about it with cohabitators, as well as platonic straight-forward property disputes. For people who opted for the "standard marriage bundle," use the laws that apply to that.

    Honestly, all of these things could use an overhaul in their CURRENT state, but that's a whole different issue.

    I don't see why it's a huge deal to re-purpose existing laws.

  2. #202
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    That is because we as a society decided to stop challenging marriage as a gold standard of contracts. No other reason. But if too many more people like me pop up, that won't last long.

    People do it, but the problem is that it's not very flexible and it doesn't really allow for complex legal assignment. It also leaves a lot of people with perfectly valid rights or tax claims completely out in the cold. It's better to simply remove it from that context completely, because then there is no reason to keep denying people customization for their legal needs.
    sorry S&M i just cant get on board

    it screws to many people over and it seems like taking 3 steps backwards to MAYBE, HOPEFULLY take some steps forward.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #203
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,167

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    sorry S&M i just cant get on board

    it screws to many people over and it seems like taking 3 steps backwards to MAYBE, HOPEFULLY take some steps forward.
    How does it screw anyone at all?

  4. #204
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    No compromise. Firstly, the State has an interest in fostering a stable family life and stable relationships. Second of all, if the institution of marriage was fine for government intervention for this long, it should retain its existence with inclusion of homosexuals. There's no danger to it with their inclusion. Third, doing the second will send a signal to homosexuals everywhere that given the option between including them into the fold, not doing so, or endorsing a scorched earth policy, the United States was more willing to deny the existence of marriage than have homosexuals in their midst.

    Edit: It's also telling that those who oppose same sex marriage are the ones who are most in favor of not having marriage for anyone. It's the reckless policy choice answered in that cliche screenplay script from a madman: "If I can't have it, NO ONE CAN!"
    Agreed with the first premise and not the second. It is precisely because the government has a vested interest in the creation of a stable-family society that they should not alter the definition of marriage from one oriented in that direction to something completely disconnected from family orientation of the "two people who happen to really like each other at this particular point in time" approach that precedes SSM.

  5. #205
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    No compromise. Marriage existed long before the "nuclear family" concept sprang into existence and will long exist after it has faded from the picture-book of social forms of organization. I disagree that the State has a vested "interest in fostering a stable family life and stable relationships"; more, I deny that the needs of the State are particularly relevant on this issue one way or the other. States do not have "interests" outside of the interests of their citizens.

    What is relevant is the individual desire to enter into a marriage contract and to have it recorded by the State, so long as the State sees fit to maintain its role as a recorder of occasions. So long as the government continues to function in such a way, it must abide by the right of individuals to determine their own self-selected forms of organization.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  6. #206
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    How does it screw anyone at all?
    easy
    all the past marriages that will now be made weaker unless you plan on just grand fathering them in and all the future new contracts what ever they are that will also be weaker, more complicated etc etc until the bugs are ironed out, if they ever are.

    I mean honestly, you think our government could abolish marriage and replace it with 1200 other contracts or rights etc and get it right even with in say 10 years?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #207
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Agreed with the first premise and not the second. It is precisely because the government has a vested interest in the creation of a stable-family society that they should not alter the definition of marriage from one oriented in that direction to something completely disconnected from family orientation of the "two people who happen to really like each other at this particular point in time" approach that precedes SSM.
    WOW! talk about flawed premise. I'm sorry what does the Hollywood style of heterosexual relationships/marriages have to do with the portion of the homosexual community who want legal recognition and benefits of their already long term relationship? To make such a statement you have to ignore:
    Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries - 72 days
    Kid Rock and Pam Anderson: 4 months
    Britney Spears and Jason Alexander: 2 days
    Sophia Bush and Chad Michael Murray: 5 months
    Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman: 6 Days
    Mario Lopez and Ali Landry: 2 weeks
    Charlie Sheen and Donna Peele: 5 months
    Chris Kattan and Sunshine Tutt: 8 weeks
    Colin Farrell and Amelia Warner: 4 months
    Jennifer Lopez and Cris Judd: 4 months
    Drew Barrymore and Tom Green: 5 months
    Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds: 2 weeks
    Helen Hunt and Hank Azaria: 11 Months
    Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Esposito: 4 months
    Lisa Marie Presley and Nicolas Cage: 3 months
    Renée Zellweger and Kenny Chesney: 4 months
    Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine: 4 weeks
    Shannen Doherty and Ashley Hamilton: 5 months

    All of these are heterosexual marriages, and while granted they make the news more because they are famous, they are also the indicators of society at large. All the above look to me as an indicator of something completely disconnected from family orientation of the [B]"two people who happen to really like each other at this particular point in time" approach that precedes OSM.

  8. #208
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post

    I believe that is what will happen...The SCOTUS will throw it back to the states where it belongs.
    Should YOUR marriage be thrown back to the states "where it belongs" NP? Or are you OK with the SCOTUS changing the definition of marriage when it fits you beliefs?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #209
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    WOW! talk about flawed premise. I'm sorry what does the Hollywood style of heterosexual relationships/marriages have to do with the portion of the homosexual community who want legal recognition and benefits of their already long term relationship? To make such a statement you have to ignore:
    Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries - 72 days
    Kid Rock and Pam Anderson: 4 months
    Britney Spears and Jason Alexander: 2 days
    Sophia Bush and Chad Michael Murray: 5 months
    Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman: 6 Days
    Mario Lopez and Ali Landry: 2 weeks
    Charlie Sheen and Donna Peele: 5 months
    Chris Kattan and Sunshine Tutt: 8 weeks
    Colin Farrell and Amelia Warner: 4 months
    Jennifer Lopez and Cris Judd: 4 months
    Drew Barrymore and Tom Green: 5 months
    Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds: 2 weeks
    Helen Hunt and Hank Azaria: 11 Months
    Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Esposito: 4 months
    Lisa Marie Presley and Nicolas Cage: 3 months
    Renée Zellweger and Kenny Chesney: 4 months
    Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine: 4 weeks
    Shannen Doherty and Ashley Hamilton: 5 months

    All of these are heterosexual marriages, and while granted they make the news more because they are famous, they are also the indicators of society at large. All the above look to me as an indicator of something completely disconnected from family orientation of the [B]"two people who happen to really like each other at this particular point in time" approach that precedes OSM.
    1. I agree, these things are indicative that our wholehearted embrace of no-fault divorce has done horrible things to marriage.

    2. In no way does that invalidate my point. Having already done lots of damage does not justify doing more.

  10. #210
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Should YOUR marriage be thrown back to the states "where it belongs" NP? Or are you OK with the SCOTUS changing the definition of marriage when it fits you beliefs?
    1. It belongs at the states
    2. If it comes to my state I will vote to keep our current definition of marriage
    3. If I then lose I will be disappointed and continue to do what I can to figure out how to help the human wreckage caused by our disastrous social assumptions.

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •