View Poll Results: Could you accept no government recognized marriages as a compromise?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I oppose SSM but could accept no government recognized marriage as a compromise.

    6 7.59%
  • I support SSM but could accept no government reconized marriage as a compromise

    24 30.38%
  • I oppose SSM It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    7 8.86%
  • I support SSM. It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    42 53.16%
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 503

Thread: Same sex marriage compromise

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    You just proved my point.....if the mob in this case, the LGBT community, than the rights of over 4/5 of the country's state which currently do not support the LEGALIZATION of gay marriage will be chucked out the window just because you do not want it to be that way. "To hell with the Constitution" is all I see coming from your posts.
    Right. Because "sane" people think laws are more important than themselves...........................

  2. #142
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    You're allowed to do whatever the hell you please. You are not and should not be allowed to shove your will and the will of the LGBT down the throats of regions around the country that do not support it. That is the thinking of the SCOTUS. Marriage has no legal protection under the Constitution, which is why DOMA will fall, and why this case will just be kicked back to the district courts.

    I will warn you however, that you my friend are engaging in a historically religious ceremony, which makes your decision to marry (because of you convictions) comical.
    Shove the will of the LGBT down your throat? What? Am I trying to force you to be gay?

    Same-sex couples should have the ability to get married. Plain and simple. If this is "shoving the will of the LGBT down your throat" I really don't care.

    Other than being a basic right, same-sex couples marrying has no effect on you or me. Don't act like this is going to take away your livelihood.

  3. #143
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Right. Because "sane" people think laws are more important than themselves...........................
    If I didn't know any better, it would seem to me that you're pouting.

    At any rate, you (again) prove my point, that you just want to see things go your way, instead of seeing things done the right way. Yes I do in fact believe that laws are more important than "themselves" (whoever it is you're referring to).
    Last edited by Lightning; 03-26-13 at 11:48 PM.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  4. #144
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Umm actually it does include a portion that says and I quote that "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

    SO in other words, if you are a citizen of the U.S. you are afforded civil and political rights....making your statement a rather ignorant one. Unless you were referring to AFRICANS and others who are NOT citizens. If thats the case, than tough tit, become a citizen if you want the benefits so bad.
    See, when I read the 14th Amendment, I didn't come across the words "African-American" or "black" or "Hispanic" just like when you say the 14th Amendment doesn't say "same-sex marriage".

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    If I didn't know any better, it would seem to me that you're pouting.

    At any rate, you (again) prove my point, that you jsut want to see things go your way, instead of seeing things done the right way. Yes I do in fact believe that laws are more important "themselves" (whoever it is you're referring to).
    I personally have had it with your stupid religion and your deeply flawed "Western Law".....................

  6. #146
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Shove the will of the LGBT down your throat? What? Am I trying to force you to be gay?

    Same-sex couples should have the ability to get married. Plain and simple. If this is "shoving the will of the LGBT down your throat" I really don't care.

    Other than being a basic right, same-sex couples marrying has no effect on you or me. Don't act like this is going to take away your livelihood.
    On the contrary, it does have an effect because it is in fact such pettiness of people who are too immature to deal with things themselves and must have the government sort out their problems that is slowly eroding away our freedoms.

    You being the someone who can comprehend words as I assume you can know very well what I meant by the shoving the will of the LGBT community down someones (the states) throat.

    I agree with you, about SSM couples having the ability to get married, but as someone who understands the rule of law, something you clearly do not understand judging by your statement that I have emboldened further up, and as someone living in country full of children who want big daddy government to make their decisions for them, I want things done the right way.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  7. #147
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    See, when I read the 14th Amendment, I didn't come across the words "African-American" or "black" or "Hispanic" just like when you say the 14th Amendment doesn't say "same-sex marriage".
    Read up on how and why the 14th was drafted and ratified. Answers your questions.

  8. #148
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I personally have had it with your stupid religion and your deeply flawed "Western Law".....................
    Well than go debate in communist China or N. Korea. I'm sure they'll share your views about how "western law" is flawed and idiotic.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  9. #149
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    On the contrary, it does have an effect because it is in fact such pettiness of people who are too immature to deal with things themselves and must have the government sort out their problems that is slowly eroding away our freedoms.

    You being the someone who can comprehend words as I assume you can know very well what I meant by the shoving the will of the LGBT community down someones (the states) throat.

    I agree with you, about SSM couples having the ability to get married, but as someone who understands the rule of law, something you clearly do not understand judging by your statement that I have emboldened further up, and as someone living in country full of children who want big daddy government to make their decisions for them, I want things done the right way.
    2 questions:

    1. )What does SSM have to do with eroding freedoms?

    2.)Since I apparently don't understand the rule of law, how should SSM be "done the right way"?

  10. #150
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    See, when I read the 14th Amendment, I didn't come across the words "African-American" or "black" or "Hispanic" just like when you say the 14th Amendment doesn't say "same-sex marriage".
    Yes, but I do come across the words CITIZENS!! Something you clearly are intentionally overlooking.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •