View Poll Results: Could you accept no government recognized marriages as a compromise?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • I oppose SSM but could accept no government recognized marriage as a compromise.

    6 7.59%
  • I support SSM but could accept no government reconized marriage as a compromise

    24 30.38%
  • I oppose SSM It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    7 8.86%
  • I support SSM. It's a function of government to recognize legitimate marriages. No compromise.

    42 53.16%
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 503

Thread: Same sex marriage compromise

  1. #101
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's not a problem in states like California that already have civil unions.
    Even with these 'civil unions', there are still laws that only apply to married couples, or are more advantageous for 'married' couples.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    It violates the 14th Amendment guarantee of equal protection under the law.
    What? My post was about the court ruling the benefits of marriage are not rights.

  3. #103
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    1.)Can you prove any of that? On the first count, California has a civil union law that confers every entitlement (they're not rights) that the state confers to the married. If you want equity in federal entitlements, go for a federal civil union law.

    2.)On the second, how so? AFAIK it's every bit as much a binding contract as your marriage license. At least in California. Civil union legislation varies by state.

    And the third begs the question, so you're not after equality here but the title?
    1.)did you just say that its equal in California but then say not federally and you want proof? LMAO
    2.) because there have been cases where marriage rights have been overturned by family when it came to property, money, kids etc etc that marriage is more successful against
    3.) no, i want equality and history proves there is no such thing as equal but different LMAO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #104
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Even with these 'civil unions', there are still laws that only apply to married couples, or are more advantageous for 'married' couples.
    Meh, not so much in California. Each state that has civil union legislation rolls it slightly differently. As I said, the federal stuff is a different matter.

  5. #105
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.)did you just say that its equal in California but then say not federally and you want proof? LMAO
    No, I want proof California's civil union law doesn't confer every state entitlement as marriage. If you wish the same in the federal arena, start stumping for federal civil union legislation.

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    2.) because there have been cases where marriage rights have been overturned by family when it came to property, money, kids etc etc that marriage is more successful against
    Again prove that happens in California to those with a civil union there.

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    3.) no, i want equality and history proves there is no such thing as equal but different LMAO
    Interesting. Never been in the military? Separate standards for gender. Have you ever seen the entrance requirements for your local fire personnel - there are two separate but equal standards, one for men, one for women. Rinse and repeat for police.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,869

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    All true and I have no problem with any of it.



    So your argument is only that easier? Hmm..



    They don't. They deal with established claims of property and other matters they are already involved in. Other items they would have no reason to care about.



    So basically you are saying people can't do anything on their own? Argh..so silly. If people can't even deal with TV they need to fall off a cliff on accident.



    Well when you go through the government to get your benefits it becomes my business. If you don't like my opinion, then consider taking your life out of the public eye. Just a thought.
    1. Ok.
    2. It's easier to dissolve than co-habitating.
    3. What? No they don't in messy divorces. In order for a judge to properly dispense a settlement, they have to know when a relationship was established in order to determine the fair share each litigant is entitled. As in the example I was gave that you responded to. If spouse A agreed to put Spouse B through school with the understanding they would then share in the increased earning power of Spouse B and then is offered a settlement much less, it goes to court. If they aren't married, then A will have one whopper of a time establishing claim to those shared assets to the court (state).
    4. No. The court will be forced to review the paper. I can't believe you are being this obtuse. Have you never had to or know someone who had to provide proof of ownership or share in property? The judge doesn't take your word for it. A marriage certificate cuts to the chase.
    5. Marriage confers government benefits, in and of itself? Like the marriage penalty tax? Is that what you mean?

  7. #107
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Meh, not so much in California. Each state that has civil union legislation rolls it slightly differently. As I said, the federal stuff is a different matter.
    Saying that same-sex couples can have a civil union but not a 'marriage' still perpetuates the idea that same-sex couples are different and can be treated differently.

  8. #108
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    1.)No, I want proof California's civil union law doesn't confer every state entitlement as marriage. If you wish the same in the federal arena, start stumping for federal civil union legislation.



    Again prove that happens in California to those with a civil union there.



    Interesting. Never been in the military? Separate standards for gender. Have you ever seen the entrance requirements for your local fire personnel - there are two separate but equal standards, one for men, one for women. Rinse and repeat for police.
    1.) again if they dont have all (state and fed) the benefits then its not equal
    2.) its happened in many places whether you believe it or not I dont care because your biased is obvious.

    Cant remember if it has specifically happened in Cali but again that is meaningless also. if its nationally not equal, its not equal.

    BUT i promise when im less busy and i actually care about proving facts to you ill post the links, they are already here in multiple places including at lease two of my equal rights threads i started

    3.) an argument that your opinion of inequality exists elsewhere is meaningless to the debate LMAO
    also if they are different they are not equal LMAO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #109
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Saying that same-sex couples can have a civil union but not a 'marriage' still perpetuates the idea that same-sex couples are different and can be treated differently.
    he isnt interested in facts
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #110
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Same sex marriage compromise

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    There is a difference between knowing what is right and knowing what is possible. I'm not simply going to change my position because people are weak and refuse to accept the right answer. The answer is always going to be right regardless of popular opinion and I have no reason what so ever to change my opinion when it is right.
    There's a difference between simply claiming something is right and demonstrating it is actually so. Let me know when you're able to do the latter.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •