View Poll Results: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 46.94%
  • No

    24 48.98%
  • I don't know

    2 4.08%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 177

Thread: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

  1. #31
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No. It should be banned in the name of Truth.
    I missed that amendment to the constitution.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Howdy!

    So, we have "freedom of speech" but can we use it? What do you think?

    Who's we? You're avi says you are from the USSR. Are you talking about your country or the United States?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    I missed that amendment to the constitution.
    Truth superceeds any/all of Mankinds laws.

  4. #34
    User MrLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    06-18-14 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    31

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post

    Why this is "political correctness" and exclusive to the left will remain the secret of Ann Coulter and her friends. As there is such a thing as a right-wing "political correctness" too: Just dare saying to a random group of patriots that America committed war crimes, that war is evil or that America is not the greatest country on the planet, and the reaction you'll face will not be different than the one you describe. The only difference being that you disagree with one group, but agree with the other.
    I did not say it was exclusive to the left, it is however more prevalent than it is on the right. And I agree that America hasn't always lived up to their ideals and have committed war crimes. However, those that do commit the crimes are punished for it more often than not. And I also agree war is evil, but there again it is sometime necessary. I will take acception that we are not the greatest country in the world. We may have are warts, but, more people want to live here than any place else.
    Politics I supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    Ronald Reagan

  5. #35
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
    I did not say it was exclusive to the left, it is however more prevalent than it is on the right. And I agree that America hasn't always lived up to their ideals and have committed war crimes. However, those that do commit the crimes are punished for it more often than not. And I also agree war is evil, but there again it is sometime necessary. I will take acception that we are not the greatest country in the world. We may have are warts, but, more people want to live here than any place else.
    I don't want to argue with you about these points, as you may or may not be right; personally, I tend to agree with you. I'm just saying that there is a kind of "right-wing political correctness" too, when it comes to these topics.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Who's we? You're avi says you are from the USSR. Are you talking about your country or the United States?
    Don't get carried away, Chris. Read carefully, is says EUSSR (European Union of Soviet Socialistic Republics), not USSR.

    "We" stands for the countries that have "freedom of speech" as their official ideology.

  7. #37
    User MrLiberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    06-18-14 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    31

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    The first article is a decade old, I still know of not a single idea I cannot discuss teaching. I did think of a co worker that got sent to sexual harrassment class. I think that was a lucky break for him, who knew you couldnt grab a girls butt? But ok, sure, the conservatives are disctiminated against, if Ann Coulter says it...
    I'll give you a link to a current situation then, but as I said before a quick Google search can pull up many many more cases.

    University Files Charges Against Student who Refused to Stomp on Jesus | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

    Now, up until the time this student refused to stomp on Jesus he was able to attend class. Now all of a sudden this kid is facing all kinds of discipline from the school. Because the school will not make public exactly what this kid did to deserve their wrath we are left to wonder what is going on. Hopefully this kid goes public and forces the schools hand.

    Added this one link also.

    http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/0...-in-classroom/
    Last edited by MrLiberty; 03-25-13 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added additional link
    Politics I supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    Ronald Reagan

  8. #38
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
    It does not take a government to ban speech, they do it all the time in institutes of higher learning, i.e. universities and colleges. How many times have we read that a small group of malcontents shut down a speaker at a university or college campus because they fear, "hate speech?" It happens all the time, many in fact have speech codes in which you must follow and if you don't off to sensitivity training you go, or are expelled. High schools are doing much the same. Heaven forbid you have a different philosophy than those in charge.

    And although you say conservatives are just as guilty, I would say, no you are mistaken. When conservative point to someone who should lose their job over an issue they are just maintaining the same standards at which liberals hold conservatives. With the exception of Shirley Sherrod no one got fired, (Shirley resigned, but should not have had to). But, look at what happens to conservatives. Rush Limbaugh got fired from ESPN. Don Imus got fired from his show, and Ann Coulter got booted from one of her jobs as well because of political correctness.

    Political correctness rears its ugly head on a daily basis and in every facet of life, and no government needed to pass any laws.
    One of the things that makes me truly admire conservatives and until recently embrace them as my ideological camp, is their ability to rise above the tit for tat pettiness and stick to their principles because its right although as I allude that motive has been absent as of late. And as far are "only Sherrod losing her job," its not because conservatives rejected political correctness and their sense of wanting to take the higher road won out. Absolutely not. They were pressuring others to enforce their political correctness and were ignored. If they had they way David Letterman, Rahm Emanuel, The Roots Band from Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and Hilary Rosen all would have had their careers permanently destroyed over exercising free speech they didn't like and the only reason it didn't happen is OTHERS refused to give them the time of day. I expect liberals to oppose personal freedom. I don't expect conservatives to and my current MO is to hold conservatives to a higher standard and do not dismiss them under some sort of Even Stevens justification.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 03-25-13 at 10:31 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #39
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    I am a Christian and this is truly an outrage. I would not do it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
    I'll give you a link to a current situation then, but as I said before a quick Google search can pull up many many more cases.

    University Files Charges Against Student who Refused to Stomp on Jesus | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

    Now, up until the time this student refused to stomp on Jesus he was able to attend class. Now all of a sudden this kid is facing all kinds of discipline from the school. Because the school will not make public exactly what this kid did to deserve their wrath we are left to wonder what is going on. Hopefully this kid goes public and forces the schools hand.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,969

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Political Correctness does not violate free speech. Just as you are free to express your racist/sexist/otherwise offensive statements, I and others are free to express our disdain for such ridiculous comments. Your free speech does not get to trump mine, and mine does not trump yours. Having free speech does not protect you from all the consequences of that speech, it only protects you (in most cases) from governmental punishment of that speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Political correctness aside:
    - blacks need to shut up about slavery and racism
    - gays need to get back in the closet
    - feminists need to shut up and let the females be "ladies"
    - illegals need to get tossed out and suspended 5 years from applying for entry
    You forgot one:

    - insensitive white guys need to shut up about everyone else they think is whining


    Good game, that was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    I agree, politically correct language should be banned in the name of free speech.



    Well put.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •