View Poll Results: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 46.94%
  • No

    24 48.98%
  • I don't know

    2 4.08%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 177

Thread: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Neither restrict speech.
    I disagree.

    The "Hate Crimes" law makes it a more punishable crime to punch someone in the face if they happen to be a member of a group that you have stated you don't like than punching someone else. So far as I'm concerned, that is punishing the thought and speech indicating that there is a group of people you dislike or disagree with. Both assaults should be treated equally.

    The "Equal Employment Opportunity" laws make it illegal for me to state that I only want to hire individuals of a certain group for a position.

    In both cases my ability to speak and act on my personal views (speech) are restricted or used against me by the Government.

  2. #102
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    That aint nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    What part of the title of this thread - "Does 'Political Correctness' violate 'Free Speech' - precludes a discussion about political correctness as some right wing tangent? As I've said before, is there a reading comprehension test given before a person can be a card carrying liberal? If you pass, you're banned for life.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  3. #103
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I disagree.

    The "Hate Crimes" law makes it a more punishable crime to punch someone in the face if they happen to be a member of a group that you have stated you don't like than punching someone else. So far as I'm concerned, that is punishing the thought and speech indicating that there is a group of people you dislike or disagree with. Both assaults should be treated equally.

    The "Equal Employment Opportunity" laws make it illegal for me to state that I only want to hire individuals of a certain group for a position.

    In both cases my ability to speak and act on my personal views (speech) are restricted or used against me by the Government.
    You can think that, but you would be wrong.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #104
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Apparently my point went over your head. The point is that when you only look for "code" from one side, you are being a hack. There is as much code used by the right as the left. It is as much political correctness from the right as the left.
    Am I to presume that it's okay under DP rules to accuse a poster of being a "hack" or not being intelligent enough to get your point? Clearly, I touched a nerve since nothing in my posting to you would be in any way considered disrespectful and yet I get this in return. I'm glad I'm a big boy and I don't need to plead for help from others to save me.

  5. #105
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Political correctness aside:
    - blacks need to shut up about slavery and racism
    - gays need to get back in the closet
    - feminists need to shut up and let the females be "ladies"
    - illegals need to get tossed out and suspended 5 years from applying for entry
    Wonderful example of political correctness!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #106
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Don't know about the US, but my impression about Germany is that "political correctness" is a discoursive weapon term used by far-right chauvinists to counter the justified moral outrage triggered by their chauvinistic statements.

    If you want to say something racist i.e., you'll usually earn emotional disagreement from the majority, so you better say it's "political correctness" that somehow delegitimizes this disagreement. It's almost as good as godwining the debate.
    It is used like that in the US alot, or more accurately, people being as ass blame people pointing it out as being politically correct. However, there are cases when political correctness is a real issue. Oddly, those who complain loudest about political correctness are the ones who tend to be politically correct the most, but only when it serves them.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #107
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Howdy!

    So, we have "freedom of speech" but can we use it? What do you think?

    "Political correctness" is nothing more than a whine that wingnuts blurt out because they can't bear to hear their nonsense criticized.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You can think that, but you would be wrong.
    On what basis, Redress? How is it that you can suggest that two issues where my speech is directly infringed upon by the Federal Government are not 1st Amendment issues?

  9. #109
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No. It should be banned in the name of Truth.
    So you think we should be politically correct about political correctness.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #110
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does "Political Correctness" violate "Free Speech"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    On what basis, Redress? How is it that you can suggest that two issues where my speech is directly infringed upon by the Federal Government are not 1st Amendment issues?
    Punching and hiring are not speech.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •