View Poll Results: Will you celebrate Earth Hour tonight?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

    3 7.89%
  • Nope

    35 92.11%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 115

Thread: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

  1. #81
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Most conservatives I know practice TRUE environmentalism - recycling, not littering, teaching their kids not to litter, Smokey the Bear wildfire safety, planting trees if you cut them down, etc.

    This is the extreme part of environmentalism - the ones who think An Inconvenient Truth is Scripture and that the Earth needs to be "saved" from evil humans.
    WWF has nothing to do with An Inconvenient Truth not Al Gore. Is repeating the same lies going to some how make them true?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #82
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I think Earth Day is great - I teach my students every year how to be good stewards of the Earth. I always read The Lorax and we discuss what the Once-ler could've done so that the Truffala trees didn't disappear. We talk about how it's okay to cut down trees to make things we need (furniture, paper, etc.), but it's important to not strip the land and leave it barren and ugly.

    Extreme environmentalism (like Gore's documentary) cater to the crazy environmentalists who think that using electricity and hydrocarbon vehicles will eventually destroy the Earth. Judging by the lack of people who are participating in Earth Hour tonight, most agree that it's absurd.
    SO WWF trying to draw attention to environmental issues is "extreme environmentalism"?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #83
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    No.

    in theory it sounds like a nice idea, but when everyone turns their power back on it probably uses more than was saved.

    I prefer more common sense approaches than sloganism.
    The extra current used at startup by most(with a small handful of exceptions) is less than that used by 1 second of normal operation. The idea it is less energy to keep them running is a myth(and yes, they busted this one on mythbusters, as well as other places).
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #84
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    According to their video, the purpose is to "Save the Planet". You said that it's NOT about saving the earth because climate change isn't destroying the earth. So.... which is it?
    No, the video did not say that was what Earth Hour was doing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #85
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,360

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you do not understand what you watched, or you are continuing to misrepresent things. Did the video state that taking part in Earth Hour would save the planet? Nope. It was trying to draw attention to the issue(that is the point of the video and Earth Hour) that we are damaging the environment with real consequences, something no one who has studied the issue even bothers to deny.
    I understand it perfectly. Yes, Earth Hour is about bringing attention to global climate change. Why does the WWF want people to pay attention to it? Because (according to them) the ultimate goal is to SAVE THE PLANET < something you are vigorously trying to deny that they believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    WWF has nothing to do with An Inconvenient Truth not Al Gore. Is repeating the same lies going to some how make them true?
    Yes, I know Al Gore isn't affiliated with WWF. My comment earlier about him was strictly about "global climate change". You say it's NOT destroying the Earth. He says it is and will...and so does the WWF based on their video.

    What does "Save the Planet" mean in your world?
    Last edited by Josie; 03-24-13 at 12:02 PM.


  6. #86
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,360

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, the video did not say that was what Earth Hour was doing.
    If it has nothing to do with saving the planet, then why is that their tagline at the end? LOL!


  7. #87
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,360

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    SO WWF trying to draw attention to environmental issues is "extreme environmentalism"?
    No, "using electricity and hydrocarbon vehicles is destroying the planet" is extreme environmentalism. Don't you think?


  8. #88
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    It's not? So the oceans won't rise and destroy entire cities? Someone better tell Al Gore.
    Destroying mankind =/= Destroying the Earth.

    This planet is fully capable of completing it's revolution around the sun without us onboard.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  9. #89
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,360

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Destroying mankind =/= Destroying the Earth.

    This planet is fully capable of completing it's revolution around the sun without us onboard.
    I agree. So why do people like Al Gore and WWF think we need to "save the planet"?


  10. #90
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will you be celebrating "Earth Hour" tonight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I agree. So why do people like Al Gore and WWF think we need to "save the planet"?
    They interchange is because we are the most noticeable trait the Earth possesses. It is technically incorrect, but considering how much of an impression we've made, it's understandable.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •