View Poll Results: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 59.09%
  • No

    4 18.18%
  • Other

    5 22.73%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Epic. Why can't I Like this twice?

    I've been called "militant" on several issues simply for being very firm. For simply asserting unapologetically what I believe. I remember one time being called a militant atheist for condemned a bunch of Christians running an atheist out of town. Literally.
    Neither what you wrote here or what Paschendale wrote has anything to do with what I said in my OP. You, like him, need to stop projecting all of your past experiences with the word "militant" onto any use of it that you don't like.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 03-24-13 at 04:22 PM.

  2. #62
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,160

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Neither what you wrote here or what Paschendale wrote has anything to do with what I said in your OP. You, like him, need to stop projecting all of your past experiences with the word "militant" onto any use of it that you don't like.
    I am not necessarily agreeing that you implied that. I am, however, agreeing with how the word "militant" is often used.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Definitely.
    Exhibit A) Look at the Tea Party. It started as a libertarian minded, grass roots organization that protested all overspending, liberty infringing politicians no matter their party. This is evidenced by the fact that the Tea Party started during Pres Bush the younger's 2nd term, not during Pres Obama's 1st term as is popularly believed. However, as the movement gained momentum, more and more hangers on accumulated. Some examples are Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, and Rick Santorum. All of them gained the "Tea Party" vote or support at one point or another despite the fact that all of them infringe on other's liberty's and/or do not have fiscally conservative roots. This, and some of the racist idiots that show up to the rally's have ruined what began as a peaceful and respectable movement. I still support it because I know what it was and what it still is at it's roots. Plus, I'm not paying to change my username.

    Exhibit B) Environmental groups in general. I am a nature lover. I hunt, fish, hike, etc with my son all the time. I teach him never to kill an animal (including bugs) unless he plans to eat it, it is a threat to him, or it is destroying property that would not be easily repaired (such as a vehicle or house). I severely frown upon trophy hunting and teach him it's wrong. We recycle everything. We grocery shop with re-usable grocery bags. We use cloth diapers. I could go on and on. But, with groups like Greenpeace and PETA, it sets a generally radical and over reaching precedence for a lot of people. A lot of people, especially in the south, associate the save the earth stuff with idiots like that. They marginalize people like me who are not radical but are simply doing what we believe God intended us to do. Take care of the Earth. Despite what many will say or post, peer pressure and the need to fit in are huge factors in stuff like this. If someone feels they will be lumped in with groups such as these for throwing a save the earth bumper sticker on their vehicle or for being anal about recycling, they won't do it. Thats the superficial nation we live in.

    Exhibit C) Christians. Not all of us are gay hating bigots despite the effort to characterize us as such. Do I think gay marriage is right? No. But I don't believe I should force my beliefs upon others through gov't regulation either. I don't hate gay people because they're gay. Gay is not some special sin that is much worse than others. Being gay is a sin (in my opinion) just like any other sin. It doesn't make gay people extra bad people. The fact that I'm not gay doesn't put me in the position to judge someone who is. I do believe a gay person could go to heaven. Anyone, if they honestly ask the Lord for salvation, will be accepted into heaven upon their death. The Bible doesn't say "whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life note; except gay people."
    Thanks for the thorough examples. When I started the thread, I only had a few examples in mind, but this thread has shed light on how pervasive the reality of a movement's supporters influencing the movement itself is relative to a bunch of political perspectives.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Great thread by the way.
    Thanks.

  4. #64
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The validity of an idea is not affected by the person who holds it. That's basic logic.
    Which doesn't alter the fact that we are human, and I think it will impact us. But you are right, it shouldn't. Though I will say it does make me reevaluate, just to make sure. That extremists recognize you as one of them, and believe that you stand with them, should give you pause.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Which doesn't alter the fact that we are human, and I think it will impact us. But you are right, it shouldn't. Though I will say it does make me reevaluate, just to make sure. That extremists recognize you as one of them, and believe that you stand with them, should give you pause.
    I think that people are cowed by authority figures and makes more of an impression on them.

    For an example look at any forum. The members are usually cowed by the forum's moderators as opposed to a normal members without their awesome powers of retaliation, sometimes.

  6. #66
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I think that people are cowed by authority figures and makes more of an impression on them.

    For an example look at any forum. The members are usually cowed by the forum's moderators as opposed to a normal members without their awesome powers of retaliation, sometimes.
    meh, but you're also looking at a group that is self-selecting. moderators are usually also among the better posters. But yeah, we humans tend to be herd animals.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    meh, but you're also looking at a group that is self-selecting. moderators are usually also among the better posters. But yeah, we humans tend to be herd animals.
    You prove my point by claiming that mods seem to be among the "better posters". I don't agree with that.

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    You prove my point by claiming that mods seem to be among the "better posters". I don't agree with that.
    then you are wrong.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    then you are wrong.
    Are you bucking for a get out of jail card? lulz

  10. #70
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Are you bucking for a get out of jail card? lulz
    Nope. Some of the mods I like, some I think have issues, some I get along with, some I don't. But the fact is that the Admin of a site and then the core moderation staff as a body generally select the moderators and lower-tier personnel (bartenders and the like) from among the better posters who equally demonstrate stable and responsible personalities. Otherwise the site goes all to hell in a handbasket and rapidly dies (which it can do, anyways). This site appears to have some pretty good longevity as well as a solid and fairly wide core of regular posters along with a wider body of occasional-buy-ins, indicating that it is, by and large, fairly well-moderated. You may have had your own issues, but that is likely (given the evidence) to be your problem, not theirs.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •