View Poll Results: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    13 59.09%
  • No

    4 18.18%
  • Other

    5 22.73%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Yeah, the gun issue is actually the one I was thinking of when I saw the thread title. I'm a pretty strong supporter of the right to own guns, and I know most gun control legislation isn't very effective, but I don't join gun advocacy groups like the NRA because of the vocal lunatic fringe associated with them (among other reasons).

    PETA is another good example. I do believe in being kind to animals and treating them well. Even farm animals who are going to be butchered don't need to be abused the way they sometimes are. But again, I refuse to associate myself with the group because of the nutcases who throw paint on fur coats and insist everyone else be a vegan, and break into farms to let the animals out.
    I actually hadn't thought of PETA which is surprising because it's definitely an organization that hurts the animal rights movement. I'm so turned off by their behavior and by the extremism of many of their arguments as are many others.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Yes itdoes. For example if I am a supporter of something it makes it perfectly valid.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Hm, that's an interesting question.

    From pure logic and reason, the answer probably should be No... a cause or position is what it is, regardless of the quality or tenor of those supporting it. However we are human beings, and do not operate solely on logic and reason... emotion is a factor, and if the advocates of Position X are such that we find them really disgusting, it will tend to color our perceptions of Position X in most cases.

    It isn't too far fetched to say if one joins in the hypothetical Million Morons March, and looks around and starts wondering "am I the only sane and reasonable person here??" that one might start to question whatever it is the million morons are marching about...
    I usually consider the supporters or opponents claim.

    For example when you say "million morons march" I know where you are comong from, a biased opinion.

  4. #44
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Separating a movement from it's supporters is practically impossible. It, whatever the movement is, is only a movement because of its supporters, and they will invariably be judged by those viewing the movement. No matter how much we try to avoid it, human nature is inescapable. It is not unusual at all to realize that you may support this or that, but when looking at those participating in the movement, you conclude that while you may support the idea, you're not about to be associated with those people. That reality is the fodder of the media.

  5. #45
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I usually consider the supporters or opponents claim.

    For example when you say "million morons march" I know where you are comong from, a biased opinion.
    Every opinion is biased, and I'm biased when I say that. Everybody adds flavor to oatmeal.

  6. #46
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    well the gun control movement presents a facade that crime control is their goal when in reality, the gun control advocates are really seeking to punish those who oppose gun control because we who oppose gun control TEND to be libertarians or conservatives who oppose welfare socialism and nanny state government

    Almost every advocate of gun restrictions is a fan of nanny state government

    so in the case of gun control, the movement favoring that cancer are almost completely motivated by those who support gun rights



  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Every opinion is biased, and I'm biased when I say that. Everybody adds flavor to oatmeal.
    Not, everybody. You sure seem biased to me, lol.

  8. #48
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Not, everybody. You sure seem biased to me, lol.
    You have to consider the source, which does prove that it's hard, if not impossible, to separate a movement from it's participants. And those who don't add flavor to their oatmeal need to be suppressed and eventually wiped out. I will not be made out to be liar.

  9. #49
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,355

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    You have to consider the source, which does prove that it's hard, if not impossible, to separate a movement from it's participants. And those who don't add flavor to their oatmeal need to be suppressed and eventually wiped out. I will not be made out to be liar.
    Good morning, Humbolt.

    It's interesting to wonder what might motivate a person to join a particular movement. You'd either have to feel strongly about something, OR you're following what might be the "flavor of the day" that your party is pushing for political reasons.

  10. #50
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Do a movement's supporters influence the legitimacy of that movement?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good morning, Humbolt.

    It's interesting to wonder what might motivate a person to join a particular movement. You'd either have to feel strongly about something, OR you're following what might be the "flavor of the day" that your party is pushing for political reasons.
    Morning Pol. I think most are motivated at the core by selfish reasons - not coldly self-serving motivations maybe, but an eagerness to be associated with something viewed as virtuous. Something like, "the movement is virtuous, I support the movement, and therefore I am virtuous as well."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •