View Poll Results: What do you guys think of the outcome?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Constitution will live another day!

    25 83.33%
  • Congress is cowardly!

    3 10.00%
  • Dont give a rats a**

    2 6.67%
  • What assault weapons bill?

    1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

  1. #1
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Well the "assault" weapons bill presented by Dianne Feinstein has seen its demise. What do you guys think?

    Here is the bill for your reading pleasure.

    http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...f-69e69f517fb4
    Last edited by Lightning; 03-21-13 at 10:01 AM.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,684

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Far too many guns qualify as "banned" (for new sale) under this bill. The following, Taurus PT638, modest caliber semi-auto pistol is not an "assault weapon":

    Taurus PT 638 Handgun - Gander Mountain

    "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate-taurus-pt638-jpg
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    The AWB is not dead yet. It is my understanding that while the language has been removed from the actual bill, Senator Feinstein has been promised the ability to attempt to add it as an amendment to the bill after initial passage. In fact this whole thing is a trick from what I can see..... Try to get the Senate to pass a watered down bill and then add the AWB and Gun Registry back in after the fact via the amendment process.

  4. #4
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,684

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The AWB is not dead yet. It is my understanding that while the language has been removed from the actual bill, Senator Feinstein has been promised the ability to attempt to add it as an amendment to the bill after initial passage. In fact this whole thing is a trick from what I can see..... Try to get the Senate to pass a watered down bill and then add the AWB and Gun Registry back in after the fact via the amendment process.
    That will not happen. If Reid had the votes it would have been included. What will pass is "universal" BG checks, expanded (maximum) sentences for straw purchases and gifts of borrowed money to the states for school security (pork). What will be interesting is that this must be called an "emergency bill" to not require budget offsets under the "pay as you go" rules.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That will not happen. If Reid had the votes it would have been included. What will pass is "universal" BG checks, expanded (maximum) sentences for straw purchases and gifts of borrowed money to the states for school security (pork). What will be interesting is that this must be called an "emergency bill" to not require budget offsets under the "pay as you go" rules.
    All of which both of us know will do absolutely nothing to change anything.

  6. #6
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The AWB is not dead yet. It is my understanding that while the language has been removed from the actual bill, Senator Feinstein has been promised the ability to attempt to add it as an amendment to the bill after initial passage. In fact this whole thing is a trick from what I can see..... Try to get the Senate to pass a watered down bill and then add the AWB and Gun Registry back in after the fact via the amendment process.
    Damn bastards... off with their heads!!!
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Far too many guns qualify as "banned" (for new sale) under this bill. The following, Taurus PT638, modest caliber semi-auto pistol is not an "assault weapon":

    Taurus PT 638 Handgun - Gander Mountain

    "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate-taurus-pt638-jpg
    I read the entire bill in disgust. Every single bit of the bill is unconstitutional.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,309

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    I've noted before that this section ‘‘APPENDIX A—FIREARMS EXEMPTED BY THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN OF 2013" is especially problematic for at least a couple of reasons.

    1. Rather than restricting certain weapons it lists what's allowed. Nothing new would be allowed to be developed and no manufacturer would try.
    2. When working with an established list of what's allowed, lawmakers would be able to whittle away at it more easily rather than trying to define what they're against & why.


    Remember the Cruz / Feinsten confrontation the other day?
    Cruz was drawing a parallel between the 1st and 2nd amendment and limitations on each.
    He wasn't suggesting there couldn't be some reasonable restrictions on each.
    But here's the thing ... can you imagine if Feinstein or anyone else came up with a law restricting speech to what's on a list they developed and anything else would be in violation?

    It would never pass SC muster.

  9. #9
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I've noted before that this section ‘‘APPENDIX A—FIREARMS EXEMPTED BY THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN OF 2013" is especially problematic for at least a couple of reasons.

    1. Rather than restricting certain weapons it lists what's allowed. Nothing new would be allowed to be developed and no manufacturer would try.
    2. When working with an established list of what's allowed, lawmakers would be able to whittle away at it more easily rather than trying to define what they're against & why.


    Remember the Cruz / Feinsten confrontation the other day?
    Cruz was drawing a parallel between the 1st and 2nd amendment and limitations on each.
    He wasn't suggesting there couldn't be some reasonable restrictions on each.
    But here's the thing ... can you imagine if Feinstein or anyone else came up with a law restricting speech to what's on a list they developed and anything else would be in violation?

    It would never pass SC muster.
    My point exactly in post #7.... unconstitutional.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  10. #10
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,684

    Re: "Assault Weapons" Ban shot down in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    All of which both of us know will do absolutely nothing to change anything.
    It will make us pay more, as surely the FFL dealers are not going to provide "free" NICS BG checks or forego keeping records of all "private" gun sales. I have problems with the text of the universal BG check portion of the bill.

    Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this subsection, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee’s inventory to the unlicensed transferee.
    ‘(B) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph--

    ‘(i) shall include a provision setting a maximum fee that may be charged by licensees for services provided in accordance with paragraph (1); and

    ‘(ii) shall include a provision requiring a record of transaction of any transfer that occurred between an unlicensed transferor and unlicensed transferee accordance with paragraph (1).’.
    This is crearly national registration, one gun transfer at a time. Note that the amount of the fee is left wide open.

    Another bizarre requirement is immediate reporting of a lost or stolen gun to the US Attorney General:

    SEC. 203. LOST AND STOLEN REPORTING.
    (a) In General- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end--

    ‘(aa) It shall be unlawful for any person who lawfully possesses or owns a firearm that has been shipped or transported in, or has been possessed in or affecting, interstate or foreign commerce, to fail to report the theft or loss of the firearm, within 24 hours after the person discovers the theft or loss, to the Attorney General and to the appropriate local authorities.’.
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s374/text
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •