View Poll Results: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 70.16%
  • No

    37 29.84%
Page 84 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1513

Thread: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

  1. #831
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Why talk about context of what they said when there is a clear vote for the Iraq Resolution.....that's all you need. And do you have a list of all of these people drummed out of office for not voting for the war, and proof of it?
    Those who won't look at context demonstrate they are trying to fool someone. Context always matters. The best and most successful lies use a little truth to hide the complete truth.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #832
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    There were no more terrorists there than in other countries around the world, so that's not it! As a matter of fact the Pentagon said their was no al Qaeda/Saddam link. They did not get along.
    Saddam wasn't letting UN inspectors in. He acted like a man with something to hide.

  3. #833
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Those who won't look at context demonstrate they are trying to fool someone. Context always matters. The best and most successful lies use a little truth to hide the complete truth.
    Here are some quotes for you.

    Democrat Quotes on WMD

  4. #834
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    And this is very interesting too. Maybe Saddam is to blame for his death and the war too.

    Lessons from Iraq 1: Why did we believe in WMD?

    Of course, the main reason that everyone thought Saddam Hussein had WMD was that he acted like he had them. He made veiled threats to his enemies – not always too veiled, at that. He offered firm (if imprecise) reassurances to his supporters that Iraq was a power to be reckoned with. And he played relentless cat-and-mouse games with the U.N. inspectors, stalling them without explanation at random intervals as if he needed to move forbidden weapons out of this building or that one before letting them see it. The world watched this behavior and quite reasonably concluded that Saddam acted like a man who had every reason for confidence – a man with tools that could repel every enemy – a man, in short, armed with WMD.

    Why did he act this way if he didn’t have them after all? In an interview he gave shortly after he was first captured by American troops, Saddam answered exactly this question. I don’t have the text of the interview handy, and have hunted in vain to find it again, so I have to reproduce the gist of it from memory. This means I may get the wording a little wrong, or the topics slightly out of order, but I believe I have preserved the substance faithfully.

    First, the interviewer asked if he hadn’t been afraid that his resistance to American and international pressure would have the result it finally did have, namely an American invasion which drove him from power.

    No, Saddam replied, that never crossed his mind.

    Why not?

    Because he thought the CIA knew everything! He thought the CIA knew that he didn’t have WMD. He also calculated that America would always support him in the end, because America is threatened by radical Islam; and Saddam, for all his many faults, always kept religion strictly out of government. So he thought he was one of our natural allies in the Middle East against the jihadist theocrats, and he assumed that we saw things the same way.

    Then how could he account for all the speeches President Bush made warning him over and over to give up his weapons and comply with the inspectors?

    Oh, that’s easy. He figured Bush was just blustering in public to look strong to his neighbors, the same way Saddam blustered in public to look strong to his neighbors.

    Now we are getting to the heart of things. Why did you bluster like that to your neighbors in the first place? Why did you pretend to have WMD at all, when the reality is that you had been completely and successfully disarmed after the First Gulf War?

    Because, explained Saddam, I had a lot of enemies. I had enemies abroad who hated Iraq, I had neighbors who would have loved to seize my oil fields, and I had enemies at home who resented all my years in power. If everybody had known that I was defenseless, my country would have been torn to bits by foreign adventurers and you could have counted out my life in days. The only way I had to protect Iraq’s sovereignty and independence, and to save my own neck, was to lie relentlessly to the rest of the world so that everyone thought they had something to fear from me. If you had been in my shoes, you would have done exactly the same thing.

  5. #835
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And this is very interesting too. Maybe Saddam is to blame for his death and the war too.

    Lessons from Iraq 1: Why did we believe in WMD?

    Because, explained Saddam, I had a lot of enemies. I had enemies abroad who hated Iraq, I had neighbors who would have loved to seize my oil fields, and I had enemies at home who resented all my years in power. If everybody had known that I was defenseless, my country would have been torn to bits by foreign adventurers and you could have counted out my life in days. The only way I had to protect Iraq’s sovereignty and independence, and to save my own neck, was to lie relentlessly to the rest of the world so that everyone thought they had something to fear from me. If you had been in my shoes, you would have done exactly the same thing.
    That is an excellent point. On the U.S. side, the decision for war preceded the intelligence; it did not follow it. Saddam never discerned that, at least not until it was too late.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #836
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Here are some quotes for you.

    Democrat Quotes on WMD
    Which one of the Democrats called for the invasion of Iraq with our boots on the ground??? NADA


  7. #837
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Simple. "Them," those who attacked us, those who we needed to tackle, were not based in Iraq.
    You are wrong, AQ controlled territory in Iraq. They had bases in Iraq.

  8. #838
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    You are wrong, AQ controlled territory in Iraq. They had bases in Iraq.
    They were in Kurdish territory, which was not accessible by Saddam Hussein.

    Hussein's Prewar Ties To Al-Qaeda Discounted


  9. #839
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    They were in Kurdish territory
    "Kurdish territory" in what country?

    Iraq.

  10. #840
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Here are some quotes for you.

    Democrat Quotes on WMD
    Those are the ones I'm talking about. Snopes explains how they are misused rather well:

    However, some of the quotes are truncated, and context is provided for none of them — several of these quotes were offered in the course of statements that clearly indicated the speaker was decidedly against unilateral military intervention in Iraq by the U.S. Moreover, several of the quotes offered antedate the four nights of airstrikes unleashed against Iraq by U.S. and British forces during Operation Desert Fox in December 1998, after which Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen and Gen. Henry H. Shelton (chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff) announced the action had been successful in "degrad[ing] Saddam Hussein's ability to deliver chemical, biological and nuclear weapons."

    snopes.com: Weapons of Mass Destruction Quotes

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •