View Poll Results: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 70.16%
  • No

    37 29.84%
Page 78 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1513

Thread: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

  1. #771
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Was it?

    What terrorists? Not Al Qaeda, as Hussain and Al Qaeda were enemies.
    Terrorism Havens: Iraq - Council on Foreign Relations

    Has Iraq sponsored terrorism?
    Yes. Saddam Hussein’s dictatorship provided headquarters, operating bases, training camps, and other support to terrorist groups fighting the governments of neighboring Turkey and Iran, as well as to hard-line Palestinian groups. During the 1991 Gulf War, Saddam commissioned several failed terrorist attacks on U.S. facilities. Prior to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the State Department listed Iraq as a state sponsor of terrorism. The question of Iraq’s link to terrorism grew more urgent with Saddam’s suspected determination to develop weapons of mass destruction (WMD), which Bush administration officials feared he might share with terrorists who could launch devastating attacks against the United States.

  2. #772
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Hussain and Al Qaeda were enemies.
    No, they had mutual enemies. Including the USA.

  3. #773
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Terrorism Havens: Iraq - Council on Foreign Relations

    Has Iraq sponsored terrorism?
    Yes. Saddam Hussein’s dictatorship provided headquarters, operating bases, training camps, and other support to terrorist groups fighting the governments of neighboring Turkey and Iran, as well as to hard-line Palestinian groups. During the 1991 Gulf War, Saddam commissioned several failed terrorist attacks on U.S. facilities. Prior to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the State Department listed Iraq as a state sponsor of terrorism. The question of Iraq’s link to terrorism grew more urgent with Saddam’s suspected determination to develop weapons of mass destruction (WMD), which Bush administration officials feared he might share with terrorists who could launch devastating attacks against the United States.
    The CIA proved wrong about the WMD. What about the terrorists?

    From your link:

    What type of terrorist groups did Iraq support under Saddam Hussein’s regime?

    Primarily groups that could hurt Saddam’s regional foes. Saddam has aided the Iranian dissident group Mujahadeen-e-Khalq and the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (known by its Turkish initials, PKK), a separatist group fighting the Turkish government. Moreover, Iraq has hosted several Palestinian splinter groups that oppose peace with Israel , including the mercenary Abu Nidal Organization, whose leader, Abu Nidal, was found dead in Baghdad in August 2002. Iraq has also supported the Islamist Hamas movement and reportedly channeled money to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. A secular dictator, however, Saddam tended to support secular terrorist groups rather than Islamist ones such as al-Qaeda, experts say.
    If you buy the "wider war on terror" idea, that we're at war with all terrorists of any stripe, then having invaded Iraq does make some sense. However, if we're fighting the people who attacked us, then we'd have been well advised to fight a more narrow sort of battle. How can we end all terrorism? That would be like ending all dictatorships, a great idea, but impossible to accomplish.

    as for the Mujahadeen, isn't that related to the group we supported when the old Soviet Union was fighting Afganistan?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #774
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The CIA proved wrong about the WMD. What about the terrorists?

    From your link:



    If you buy the "wider war on terror" idea, that we're at war with all terrorists of any stripe, then having invaded Iraq does make some sense. However, if we're fighting the people who attacked us, then we'd have been well advised to fight a more narrow sort of battle. How can we end all terrorism? That would be like ending all dictatorships, a great idea, but impossible to accomplish.

    as for the Mujahadeen, isn't that related to the group we supported when the old Soviet Union was fighting Afganistan?
    Well, it was called "The War on Terror."

  5. #775
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    No, they had mutual enemies. Including the USA.
    But did not work together.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #776
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, it was called "The War on Terror."
    Notice the comment "impossible to accomplish."

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #777
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But did not work together.
    Got any proof to back up that contention?

  8. #778
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Got any proof to back up that contention?
    The affirmative is the claim that they were. There's no evidence they were. So, absence of evidence backs up that contention.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #779
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The affirmative is the claim that they were. .
    BS that is simply your strawman.

  10. #780
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    BS that is simply your strawman.
    No, it isn't. Do you know what a strawman is? With no evidence they were working together, you claim they were. You simply can't. And with as much effort put not trying to find such evidence only to fail, you have to conclude they likely weren't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •