View Poll Results: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 70.16%
  • No

    37 29.84%
Page 38 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1513

Thread: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

  1. #371
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    You speak in cliche platitudes. We had a problem with Saddam not the world. We wanted cheap oil. He wanted to move away from dollar only oil trades. He invaded a monarchy we set up. We invade because we are a greedy empire.
    Well then . . . where's all of our cheap oil?

  2. #372
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well then . . . where's all of our cheap oil?
    We are using it.

  3. #373
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    You speak in cliche platitudes. We had a problem with Saddam not the world. We wanted cheap oil. He wanted to move away from dollar only oil trades. He invaded a monarchy we set up. We invade because we are a greedy empire.
    You're accusing someone ELSE of "speaking in cliche platitudes"?

    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    We are using it.
    Good God, you must be joking.

  5. #375
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I read it. Sorry. I misunderstood you and thought you were being sarcastic.


    No problem.

    Seriously.

    The only person that never makes a mistake is the person who never does anything.

    Always try to do the right thing, and whatever happens, happens.




    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

    Been there. Done that. No regrets.

    Last edited by shrubnose; 03-23-13 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Fix link.

  6. #376
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Good God, you must be joking.
    No. We get oil cheaper than water. That is cheap.

  7. #377
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    The USA is a dangerous country.

    It has a habit of invading other countries which are no real threat to the USA.

    It is the only country on this planet to have ever used nuclear weapons.

    Which is one reason why some countries see having nukes as a good thing.

    Think about it.
    *Sigh* We are dangerous.

    Well, for some of us it's not so much about the US.

    Everyone remembers the a-bombs. We learned about it in elementary school. Nobody forgets. This "debate worthy fact" is already incorporated into the perspective of every person capable of reading this website.

    Everyone sees having nukes as a good thing. It prevents invasion.

    Thought about it, no nukes for the Iranian regime.

  8. #378
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    We BUY our oil. We don't have free access to Iraq's oil fields. Iraqis should take advantage of their oil, but they are too disorganized and at odds to come together and get anything accomplished. They could be a very rich country if they could get it together.

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    We BUY our oil. We don't have free access to Iraq's oil fields. Iraqis should take advantage of their oil, but they are too disorganized and at odds to come together and get anything accomplished. They could be a very rich country if they could get it together.
    We buy oil in dollars that we print. The only currency oil is traded in. He wanted to move to a basket of currencies.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    No. We get oil cheaper than water. That is cheap.
    Nope, we don't have free access to Iraq's oil. Sorry you're wrong.

    Snip~ Do oil and Islam mix? Several prominent Iraqi exiles have tentatively endorsed a plan from the U.S. designed to give Iraq's vast oil reserves to "the Iraqi people." The plan defines oil as a government asset, but recommends sharing production with foreign oil companies in exchange for development costs. Now many scholars of Islamic law (Shari'a) say the U.S. plan inadvertently (or perhaps cunningly) delivers a more "Islamic" arrangement than the one followed in supposedly Islamic Saudi Arabia.

    Where the U.S. plan intends to give ownership to a democratically elected government, the Saudi royal family collects all revenue and administers it on behalf of the kingdom. Some Islamic critics, following edicts that say buried treasures, like gold and salt, should be shared among the people, claim the Saudi royal family has grabbed too much oil booty for itself. Critics of the U.S. plan, however, say the proposed production-sharing say arrangements don't meet Shari'a edicts requiring compensation to be defined before work is carried out.

    The issue is significant, because although strict conformity to Shari'a is not needed, it could help win hearts and minds. But it isn't clear-cut: Shari'a legal opinions regarding oil vary, not only among the four schools of Shari'a jurisprudence, but even within them. — By Steve Zwick


    Read more: Who Owns Iraq's Oil? - TIME

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •