View Poll Results: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 70.16%
  • No

    37 29.84%
Page 25 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1513

Thread: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

  1. #241
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    There is the cost to consider, however, I think that when you have a government mass murdering it's people the cost is justified in removing that government. I won't argue that the war was poorly executed, but it was the right thing to do.
    Although Saddam killed a lot of Kurds among others, he was not in a mass murdering phase when we attacked. We did nothing when he was killing the Kurds, So there is no evidence that our attack saved lives, since it unleashed a lot of sectarian violence.

  2. #242
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Because you say so? you remind me of Mel Gibson in that movie
    No, because it is true.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #243
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Do not mistake my position. I do not claim that Iraq posed any threat. I believe that the decision to invade preceded the WMD intelligence; it did not follow it. Nonetheless, there is zero evidence to support the assertion that the war was to secure Iraq's oil. The orders to secure the oil facilities were to protect Iraq's financial capacity to rebuild, and prevent environmental degradation that would endanger US troops. At no time during our long occupation did the US government act to direct Iraqi oil to US companies.
    Maybe the war was to prevent a hostile nation from securing the oil fields. Now that Saddam is gone Iraq is much closer to Iran than it was before the war. Actually I believe the reason for the invasion was to satisfy the neocons at PNAC and because Bush wanted to be a "war president."

  4. #244
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You showed nothing. I do not claim Iraq was a threat. The war had other aims, in my view. If you think "Big Oil" profited, please identify the US oil companies that are now prominent in Iraq.
    You lie. I showed you the quote from Cheney's energy task force report.


    Western oil firms remain as US exits Iraq

    "The end of the US military occupation does not mean Iraqis have full control of their oil.

    While the US military has formally ended its occupation of Iraq, some of the largest western oil companies, ExxonMobil, BP and Shell, remain.

    On November 27, 38 months after Royal Dutch Shell announced its pursuit of a massive gas deal in southern Iraq, the oil giant had its contract signed for a $17bn flared gas deal.

    Three days later, the US-based energy firm Emerson submitted a bid for a contract to operate at Iraq's giant Zubair oil field, which reportedly holds some eight million barrels of oil.

    Earlier this year, Emerson was awarded a contract to provide crude oil metering systems and other technology for a new oil terminal in Basra, currently under construction in the Persian Gulf, and the company is installing control systems in the power stations in Hilla and Kerbala.

    Iraq's supergiant Rumaila oil field is already being developed by BP, and the other supergiant reserve, Majnoon oil field, is being developed by Royal Dutch Shell. Both fields are in southern Iraq.

    According to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), Iraq's oil reserves of 112 billion barrels ranks second in the world, only behind Saudi Arabia. The EIA also estimates that up to 90 per cent of the country remains unexplored, due to decades of US-led wars and economic sanctions.

    "Prior to the 2003 invasion and occupation of Iraq, US and other western oil companies were all but completely shut out of Iraq's oil market," oil industry analyst Antonia Juhasz told Al Jazeera. "But thanks to the invasion and occupation, the companies are now back inside Iraq and producing oil there for the first time since being forced out of the country in 1973."

    Western oil firms remain as US exits Iraq - Features - Al Jazeera English
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #245
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,961
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Maybe the war was to prevent a hostile nation from securing the oil fields. Now that Saddam is gone Iraq is much closer to Iran than it was before the war. Actually I believe the reason for the invasion was to satisfy the neocons at PNAC and because Bush wanted to be a "war president."
    Personal opinion alert. The GWB crowd came into office determined to do "big things." I believe they wanted to establish a Pax Americana in the Middle East to enable a comprehensive Israeli-Palestinian peace settlement. The destruction of Saddam's regime and the establishment of a powerful American presence in a democratic Iraq would have done that.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #246
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,961
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You lie. I showed you the quote from Cheney's energy task force report.


    Western oil firms remain as US exits Iraq

    "The end of the US military occupation does not mean Iraqis have full control of their oil.

    While the US military has formally ended its occupation of Iraq, some of the largest western oil companies, ExxonMobil, BP and Shell, remain.

    On November 27, 38 months after Royal Dutch Shell announced its pursuit of a massive gas deal in southern Iraq, the oil giant had its contract signed for a $17bn flared gas deal.

    Three days later, the US-based energy firm Emerson submitted a bid for a contract to operate at Iraq's giant Zubair oil field, which reportedly holds some eight million barrels of oil.

    Earlier this year, Emerson was awarded a contract to provide crude oil metering systems and other technology for a new oil terminal in Basra, currently under construction in the Persian Gulf, and the company is installing control systems in the power stations in Hilla and Kerbala.

    Iraq's supergiant Rumaila oil field is already being developed by BP, and the other supergiant reserve, Majnoon oil field, is being developed by Royal Dutch Shell. Both fields are in southern Iraq.

    According to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), Iraq's oil reserves of 112 billion barrels ranks second in the world, only behind Saudi Arabia. The EIA also estimates that up to 90 per cent of the country remains unexplored, due to decades of US-led wars and economic sanctions.

    "Prior to the 2003 invasion and occupation of Iraq, US and other western oil companies were all but completely shut out of Iraq's oil market," oil industry analyst Antonia Juhasz told Al Jazeera. "But thanks to the invasion and occupation, the companies are now back inside Iraq and producing oil there for the first time since being forced out of the country in 1973."

    Western oil firms remain as US exits Iraq - Features - Al Jazeera English
    Neither BP nor Shell is a US company. US service firms dominate the industry and are present everywhere. You presented no evidence that ExxonMobil or any other US oil company is in Iraq on any significant scale.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Personal opinion alert. The GWB crowd came into office determined to do "big things." I believe they wanted to establish a Pax Americana in the Middle East to enable a comprehensive Israeli-Palestinian peace settlement. The destruction of Saddam's regime and the establishment of a powerful American presence in a democratic Iraq would have done that.
    Maybe..................What amazes me to this day is the scale of failure in achieving those goals......................

  8. #248
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Neither BP nor Shell is a US company. US service firms dominate the industry and are present everywhere. You presented no evidence that ExxonMobil or any other US oil company is in Iraq on any significant scale.
    The US gov does love BP with a passion, and BP loves the US Gov. BPs largest costumer is the US Defense Department.


  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    .....If America does not use it's power and influence to better Mankind as a whole, then it is just as evil as those it will not stop from doing evil. If you don't fight evil to the greatest extent possible, then you support and enable evil......
    Sometimes attempting to fight evil does more damage than good. We didn't really go into Iraq to fight evil (although I'm sure many of our troops believed that was the plan) and we did more harm than good. That would have been the case even if our intentions were purely for good.

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    We need to rethink the whole concept of "Preemptive " war.........................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •