View Poll Results: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 70.16%
  • No

    37 29.84%
Page 134 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1513

Thread: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

  1. #1331
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah, being under the iron fist of a dictator makes for a very "stable" environment
    Not to agree with Catawba, but actually, dictatorships are rather stable countries, in the purest sense of the word. Things run relatively smooth and crimes rates are ridiculously low because of the fear of reprisal from government. In other words, everyone is scared ****less to the point that everything goes just how the federal government wants and everything is seemingly hunky dory.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  2. #1332
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Not to agree with Catawba, but actually, dictatorships are rather stable countries, in the purest sense of the word. Things run relatively smooth and crimes rates are ridiculously low because of the fear of reprisal from government. In other words, everyone is scared ****less to the point that everything goes just how the federal government wants and everything is seemingly hunky dory.
    which was my point. "stability" should not be the most important measure. Nazi Germany was a very "stable" environment under Hitler.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #1333
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    um yeah, we didn't "install" anything. we allowed them to decide for themselves. not our fault they voted for corrupt politicians (as if there were any other kind)
    What was the invasion and almost ten years of occupation for than?

    just saying..."stability" isn't the be all end all. I'm sure all those Iraqis that were tortured and murdered in Saddam's "perfume palace" and then dumped in "Lost Lake" were really impressed by the stability of Saddam's govt
    The Iraqis are being tortured now by the government we help set up and protected for almost ten years. But hey, the Iraqis have the freedom to kill each other now in addition to being tortured! Oh happy day!

    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #1334
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    What was the invasion and almost ten years of occupation for than?
    so we could steal all the oil, or have you forgotten that?



    The Iraqis are being tortured now by the government we help set up and protected for almost ten years. But hey, the Iraqis have the freedom to kill each other now in addition to being tortured! Oh happy day!

    at least now they have a choice
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #1335
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so we could steal all the oil, or have you forgotten that?
    No, we just wanted to prevent the control the Iraqis had to withhold their own property from US and British oil companies.





    at least now they have a choice
    That's probably why they showered our troops with flowers during our occupation.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #1336
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No, we just wanted to prevent the control the Iraqis had to withhold their own property from US and British oil companies.
    either way... it was "all about the oil"






    That's probably why they showered our troops with flowers during our occupation.
    which is irrelevent to whether or not the world is a better place without Saddam.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #1337
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We didn't remove them, Iraq kicked them out when they nationalized their oil. But thanks to our invasion and occupation, US and British oil companies are back in Iraq.

    Mission Accomplished!
    Sorry for making my post worded realz stoopidz. What I meant by "removing our oil companies", I meant that the Iraqis removed them. I imagine the semantical meaning of my sentence was far off from what I thought it meant, and for that, I apologize. Perhaps, some day, I could send a small present to you?
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  8. #1338
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    every dollar spent in Iraq was a dollar wasted.

    Saddam was such a great leader that his govt spent nothing to update/upgrade their refineries. all the oil refineries in Iraq burn off tons of methane because the technology to capture it didn't exist when they were built. as a result, methane (aka natural gas) is a major IMPORT into Iraq. and yet they are burning off tons of the stuff from their outdated refineries.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #1339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    IMO, as I have said before, Iraq was far better off between the end of the Kurdish Uprising and Iraqi Freedom then it has been since Iraqi Freedom.

    As to the OP question?

    That is impossible to answer since there is no way to know what would have happened to Iraq had Op. Iraqi Freedom never taken place.

    One could speculate - which I did before.

    But on hindsight, there are too many variables and too much time has passed to (IMO) give a worthwhile answer to the OP question.


    But to just assume that the world must be better because an evil man is dead is potentially short sighted to me.

    Everything is relative - and life is never black and white...only shades of grey.
    Last edited by DA60; 04-08-13 at 04:49 PM.

  10. #1340
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    IMO, as I have said before, Iraq was far better off between the end of the Kurdish Uprising and Iraqi Freedom then it has been since Iraqi Freedom.

    As to the OP question?

    That is impossible to answer since there is no way to know what would have happened to Iraq had Op. Iraqi Freedom never taken place.

    One could speculate - which I did before.

    But on hindsight, there are too many variables and too much time has passed to (IMO) make worthwhile answer to the OP question.
    I was in Iraq during both Desert Storm and OIF/OEF. One of the sad things is that, although he had the resources to build dozens of palaces for himself and his cronies, Saddam spent very little on rebuilding infrastructure that was damaged/destroyed during the Iran/Iraq war and Desert Storm. Much of southern Iraq looks just as it did immediately following the Iran/Iraq war. rusted out vehicles on the side of the road, rivers filled with sunken ships, bombed out villages, etc, etc, etc.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •