View Poll Results: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 70.16%
  • No

    37 29.84%
Page 13 of 152 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1513

Thread: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I remember countless warnings to Saddam, I remember democrats and republicans alike voting for the war. In the end was it a bad thing? Not for Iraq for us it cost us a fortune in young lives and treasure as all our wars have ww1 ww2 korea nam, I was and am all for Bush and Cheneys response to 911 as a veteran. Were we to to just do nothing ? For the second time we were attacked on our soil. I give bush and cheney credit. Look we can all backseat, but the truth is no one knew where to attack alqueda. Ya know being American and for America shouldnt be liberal or conservative or democrat or republican. It should be what it always was before AMERICAN. Can we put america before democrat and republican talking points even just once
    The above is a perfect example of the conventional wisdom surrounding the Iraq war. We were attacked! We had to go after Al Qaeda! It's all about America! Iraq was a response to the attack of 9/11!

    The facts: Iraq did not attack the USA. Al Qaeda was not in Iraq.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #122
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The above is a perfect example of the conventional wisdom surrounding the Iraq war. We were attacked! We had to go after Al Qaeda! It's all about America! Iraq was a response to the attack of 9/11!

    The facts: Iraq did not attack the USA. Al Qaeda was not in Iraq.
    Thats true and youre correct Iraq did not attack us upfront. I believe thier money had a hand in it. Aside from that Iraq seems to be a better place and we havent had an attack on our soil since, just a couple of weak attempts

  3. #123
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Thats true and youre correct Iraq did not attack us upfront. I believe thier money had a hand in it. Aside from that Iraq seems to be a better place and we havent had an attack on our soil since, just a couple of weak attempts
    There hadn't been more than a couple of weak attempts before, either, for many years.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The above is a perfect example of the conventional wisdom surrounding the Iraq war. We were attacked! We had to go after Al Qaeda! It's all about America! Iraq was a response to the attack of 9/11!

    The facts: Iraq did not attack the USA. Al Qaeda was not in Iraq.
    Hussein was FAR.too secular for Al.Quaedas taste.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #125
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There hadn't been more than a couple of weak attempts before, either, for many years.

    Weak ? First trade center attack, the attack on the Cole, the marine barracks in Riad the WTT in NYC and many other and you say weak? Cmon ditto. Theres alot to complain about the war in Iraq but for going there initially not to me. I would have preferred bush senior having gone all the way and getting saddam than bush jr going in a second time for sure.
    You do have to admit in the end one arab threat in the middleast is gone. Once iran gets good and spanked things will calm down for a generation. Lets not forget Libya and now Syria and Egypt deciding to get rid of their tyrants. You think that thought and that courage just popped in their head on their own or do you like me them watching iraq gave them the fortitude and the realization that there are no GODS in the middle east Like Mubarek and Saddam and Khadafi.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Weak ? First trade center attack, the attack on the Cole, the marine barracks in Riad the WTT in NYC and many other and you say weak? Cmon ditto. Theres alot to complain about the war in Iraq but for going there initially not to me. I would have preferred bush senior having gone all the way and getting saddam than bush jr going in a second time for sure.
    You do have to admit in the end one arab threat in the middleast is gone. Once iran gets good and spanked things will calm down for a generation. Lets not forget Libya and now Syria and Egypt deciding to get rid of their tyrants. You think that thought and that courage just popped in their head on their own or do you like me them watching iraq gave them the fortitude and the realization that there are no GODS in the middle east Like Mubarek and Saddam and Khadafi.
    From your post:

    we havent had an attack on our soil since, just a couple of weak attempts
    Now, are you going to say that there have been no attacks on Americans in the ME since the invasion of Iraq?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #127
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Hussein was FAR.too secular for Al.Quaedas taste.
    Yes, he was, and he had no use for Al Qaeda, either. So, why again was attacking a secular state a good idea when fighting radical Islamists? I just don't quite get that one, do you?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yes, he was, and he had no use for Al Qaeda, either. So, why again was attacking a secular state a good idea when fighting radical Islamists? I just don't quite get that one, do you?
    Its.simply amazing.how the.media played this.country.

    I.watched the.whole runup.on free.speech.tv.

    There.was.MASSIVE amounts of information counter to the narrative.we.were.fed by the american media and our politicians.

    The idea that the world agreed with our assessment is nonsense.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #129
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    how so, do you deny Hussein was murdering people just because he felt like it? Maybe we should have let him have his growth so thousands more could have died needlessly.
    I deny it was actively going on to any large degree. And when he was really doing it, we stood by and watched. So what we really did was add injury to injury, costing more lives than would have been lost otherwise. Which is why human rights groups objected to our invasion.

    So, no, it is not remotely the same.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    how so, do you deny Hussein was murdering people just because he felt like it? Maybe we should have let him have his growth so thousands more could have died needlessly.
    For your consideration:

    In our view, as a threshold matter, humanitarian intervention that occurs without the consent of the relevant government can be justified only in the face of ongoing or imminent genocide, or comparable mass slaughter or loss of life.

    (snip)

    Brutal as Saddam Hussein's reign had been, the scope of the Iraqi government's killing in March 2003 was not of the exceptional and dire magnitude that would justify humanitarian intervention. We have no illusions about Saddam Hussein's vicious inhumanity. Having devoted extensive time and effort to documenting his atrocities, we estimate that in the last twenty-five years of Ba`th Party rule the Iraqi government murdered or "disappeared" some quarter of a million Iraqis, if not more. In addition, one must consider such abuses as Iraq's use of chemical weapons against Iranian soldiers. However, by the time of the March 2003 invasion, Saddam Hussein's killing had ebbed.

    (snip)
    Humanitarianism, even understood broadly as concern for the welfare of the Iraqi people, was at best a subsidiary motive for the invasion of Iraq.

    (snip)

    Conclusion

    In sum, the invasion of Iraq failed to meet the test for a humanitarian intervention. Most important, the killing in Iraq at the time was not of the exceptional nature that would justify such intervention. In addition, intervention was not the last reasonable option to stop Iraqi atrocities. Intervention was not motivated primarily by humanitarian concerns.

    War in Iraq: Not a Humanitarian Intervention | Human Rights Watch

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •