View Poll Results: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 70.16%
  • No

    37 29.84%
Page 128 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1513

Thread: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

  1. #1271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I note that you have not replied to my previous post in our dialogue.
    Here, from your own link ....

    The information about Iraq's desire to acquire the ore, known as yellowcake, was used by the Bush administration to help justify the invasion of Iraq, notably by President Bush in his State of the Union address in January 2003. But the information was later revealed to have been based on forgeries.

    ... and then there's this ...

    The documents were the basis for sending a former diplomat, Joseph C. Wilson IV, on a fact-finding mission to Niger that eventually exploded into an inquiry that led to the indictment and resignation last week of Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis Libby.

    But you also claimed the original reporting by the CIA was based on reports of the documents and not the actual documents themselves, and that appears to be correct. However your assessment that they were immediately exposed as forgeries remains in error. It wasn't until the IAEA examined them some 6 months later that they were exposed as forgeries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    As for this one, you are wrong, again.
    Nope. not wrong.

    Condoleezza Rice, a senior aide of hers, the Director of the CIA, and the White House ALL said the 16 words should not have been in the speech and yes, they had removed it from a speech earlier; for the same reason it shouldn't have been in the SofU address.

  2. #1272
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Really? What does "we don't want the smoking gun in the shape of a mushroom cloud" mean to you?
    Rhetorical excess, perhaps, but not mistaken by any thinking person for a threat assessment.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #1273
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Here, from your own link ....

    The information about Iraq's desire to acquire the ore, known as yellowcake, was used by the Bush administration to help justify the invasion of Iraq, notably by President Bush in his State of the Union address in January 2003. But the information was later revealed to have been based on forgeries.

    ... and then there's this ...

    The documents were the basis for sending a former diplomat, Joseph C. Wilson IV, on a fact-finding mission to Niger that eventually exploded into an inquiry that led to the indictment and resignation last week of Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, I. Lewis Libby.

    But you also claimed the original reporting by the CIA was based on reports of the documents and not the actual documents themselves, and that appears to be correct. However your assessment that they were immediately exposed as forgeries remains in error. It wasn't until the IAEA examined them some 6 months later that they were exposed as forgeries.


    Nope. not wrong.

    Condoleezza Rice, a senior aide of hers, the Director of the CIA, and the White House ALL said the 16 words should not have been in the speech and yes, they had removed it from a speech earlier; for the same reason it shouldn't have been in the SofU address.


    When the documents were passed to the IAEA, the US explicitly declined to vouch for their authenticity.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #1274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    In terms of allowing them unfettered access to inspect sites? Yes.
    The UN disagrees with you.

  5. #1275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    There was no deception. Nor was there an intent to deceive.
    Bullxit.

    • Speaking to reporters, Hadley said details from the CIA memos and phone call slipped his mind. He apologized to Bush on Monday, he said. "The high standards the president set were not met," said Hadley. Despite the error, the president has "full confidence in his national security advisor, his deputy national security advisor and the director of central intelligence," said White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett.



    • "The CIA was pushing the aluminum tube argument heavily and Cheney went with that instead of what our guys wrote," Powell said. And the Niger reference in Bush's State of the Union speech? "That was a big mistake," he said. "It should never have been in the speech. I didn't need Wilson to tell me that there wasn't a Niger connection. He didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I never believed it."



    • "Those 16 words should never have been included in the text written for the president," George Tenet said in a statement. "This was a mistake."



    • "Now, we've long acknowledged -- and this is old news, we've said this repeatedly -- that the information on yellow cake did, indeed, turn out to be incorrect." ~ Ari Fleischer



    • "What we've said subsequently is, knowing what we now know, that some of the Niger documents were apparently forged, we wouldn't have put this in the President's speech -- but that's knowing what we know now." ~ Condoleezza Rice

  6. #1276
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    When the documents were passed to the IAEA, the US explicitly declined to vouch for their authenticity.
    Could you please unpack that one, Jack?

  7. #1277
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Bullxit.

    • Speaking to reporters, Hadley said details from the CIA memos and phone call slipped his mind. He apologized to Bush on Monday, he said. "The high standards the president set were not met," said Hadley. Despite the error, the president has "full confidence in his national security advisor, his deputy national security advisor and the director of central intelligence," said White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett.



    • "The CIA was pushing the aluminum tube argument heavily and Cheney went with that instead of what our guys wrote," Powell said. And the Niger reference in Bush's State of the Union speech? "That was a big mistake," he said. "It should never have been in the speech. I didn't need Wilson to tell me that there wasn't a Niger connection. He didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I never believed it."



    • "Those 16 words should never have been included in the text written for the president," George Tenet said in a statement. "This was a mistake."



    • "Now, we've long acknowledged -- and this is old news, we've said this repeatedly -- that the information on yellow cake did, indeed, turn out to be incorrect." ~ Ari Fleischer



    • "What we've said subsequently is, knowing what we now know, that some of the Niger documents were apparently forged, we wouldn't have put this in the President's speech -- but that's knowing what we know now." ~ Condoleezza Rice
    Not an intelligence professional among them.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #1278
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Could you please unpack that one, Jack?
    The statement stands on its own.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #1279
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    No one suggested anyone was getting a nuke.
    Yeah, that was implied. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1280
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the world a better place without Saddam Hussein?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yeah, that was implied. Sorry.
    I disagree absolutely.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •