View Poll Results: Was invading Iraq and going to war in Iraq, was it the right choice?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 20.56%
  • No

    85 79.44%
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 307

Thread: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

  1. #251
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    So now I'm told "we didn't help the Kurds". Where did I ever comment about our involvement with the Kurds? Fact, Saddam used weapons of mass destruction to massacre his own people. I'm sure we "pretty well" didn't think he would do that.

    I'm sorry, but I haven't been around Debate Politics that long. Perhaps it's always been part of the landscape here, but it seems to me there is some disconnect from reality that is going on.

    I can appreciate that one "camp" has as part of it's ideology a requirment to reject any and all ideas that go against the party line, but facts are facts.

    To try and suggest the IAEA and the UN knew there we no WMD's in Iraq is folly.
    You're seeing the wrong point. You bought up the Kurds, so context must be established. If killing the Kurds is the cncenr, which it wasn't, than we'd have done something to help them.

    Nor have I made the affirmative and absolute claim that there were NO wmds. Instead, my claim is that there was no evidence of a growing program and that Saddam was actively creating wmds, which was the rationale for war.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #252
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It wasn't just my opinion it was the opinion of the head of the inspection team, as well as the UN who decided the technical violation did not merit an attack on Iraq.

    And we were right! There was no WMD threat in Iraq!
    Well, I guess they lost that debate, didn't they?

    Why do you think the UN condoned starving children in Iraq to death so they could line their pockets with money?

    Do you think collecting blood money sucked from the corpse of little children could have had an impact on their opinions?

    Curious what you think about that.

  3. #253
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're seeing the wrong point. You bought up the Kurds, so context must be established. If killing the Kurds is the cncenr, which it wasn't, than we'd have done something to help them.

    Nor have I made the affirmative and absolute claim that there were NO wmds. Instead, my claim is that there was no evidence of a growing program and that Saddam was actively creating wmds, which was the rationale for war.
    You are conflating my point about the Kurds. Moving on...

    As to your claim, you are entitled to your opinion. I only offer the words and actions of the IAEA, the UN, and Iraq in the years and days leading up to the multi-national coalition attack on Iraq.

  4. #254
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well, I guess they lost that debate, didn't they?

    Why do you think the UN condoned starving children in Iraq to death so they could line their pockets with money?

    Do you think collecting blood money sucked from the corpse of little children could have had an impact on their opinions?

    Curious what you think about that.


    I think you have drank deeply of the neocon kool aid! We are the ones that bombed their water plants and wouldn't allow in water pumps in so they could get clean water to the people. That right there resulted in the deaths of a million children. So don't talk to me about who's got blood on their hands in exchange for getting big oil back in Iraq for the first time since 1973.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #255
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I think you have drank deeply of the neocon kool aid! We are the ones that bombed their water plants and wouldn't allow in water pumps in so they could get clean water to the people. That right there resulted in the deaths of a million children. So don't talk to me about who's got blood on their hands in exchange for getting big oil back in Iraq for the first time since 1973.


    Cling long and hard to that which you must believe.

  6. #256
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post


    Cling long and hard to that which you must believe.

    It is only the far right that refuse to acknowledge the truth about the lack of Iraq threat.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #257
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It is only the far right that refuse to acknowledge the truth about the lack of Iraq threat.
    And it's only the far left that thinks no other countries joined the US coalition, and the IAEA reports don't exist.

    Heap big bowl of delusion served on the far side of your room. That's ok. No matter how hard you try, history is what it is.

  8. #258
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    And it's only the far left that thinks no other countries joined the US coalition, and the IAEA reports don't exist.

    Heap big bowl of delusion served on the far side of your room. That's ok. No matter how hard you try, history is what it is.

    No matter how you try to heap your **** into a pile, it still doesn't add up to an Iraq threat to the US or its neighbors.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #259
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You are conflating my point about the Kurds. Moving on...

    As to your claim, you are entitled to your opinion. I only offer the words and actions of the IAEA, the UN, and Iraq in the years and days leading up to the multi-national coalition attack on Iraq.
    Which has nothing to do with the rationale used. Nor am I conflating. You made a flippent comment that needed context.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #260
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Are you completely unaware of the the first war on Iraq where we utterly destroyed Iraq's military capability? And are you also unaware that the time in between the first war and this last one we did not allow them to rebuild their military?




    If you are that frightened living in the most powerful country on the planet, than maybe we should stop creating enemies? You do realize that our war on the Iraqis created more terrorists than we killed do you not?
    You under estimate your enemies at your peril. Iraq could have dissolved into a breeding ground for terrorists with Saddam still in power or worse chaos in that country without our influence. I guess you are part of the crowd that thinks that a small group cannot carry out attacks on the US crashing planes into our buildings. They must need a standing army at pre desert storm levels to do anything apparently???

    Your creating new enemies point is an idealist argument and in this global economy we cannot retreat within our own borders. The world doesn't work that way me bleeding heart. Enemies will exist regardless of what we do, but one thing is for sure...they take us seriously and fear us.
    Caitlyn Strong...

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •