View Poll Results: Was invading Iraq and going to war in Iraq, was it the right choice?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 20.56%
  • No

    85 79.44%
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 307

Thread: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

  1. #221
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    What you don't seem to be able to accept is that the UN did not believe the technical violations merited attack on Iraq.

    This is what the head of the inspection team stated that had made 700 inspections of Iraq prior to our attack there:

    "On February 11 -- less than five weeks before the invasion -- I told U.S. national security adviser Condoleezza Rice I wasn't terribly impressed by the intelligence we had received from the U.S., and that there had been no weapons of mass destruction at any of the sites we had been recommended by American forces. Her response was that it was Iraq, and not the intelligence, that was on trial.

    ARWA DAMON: Iraq suffocates in cloak of sorrow

    And during a telephone chat with Tony Blair on February 20, I told the British prime minister that it would be paradoxical and absurd if a quarter of a million troops were to invade Iraq and find very little in the way of weapons. He responded by telling me intelligence was clear that Saddam had reconstituted his weapons of mass destruction program.

    At any rate, whatever view one took of the evidence of weapons, no one could believe in 2003 that prostrate Iraq was a threat to any other state."

    Why invading Iraq was a terrible mistake - CNN.com



    What you don't seem to be able to do is read the reports submitted by the inspectors themselves to the UN. I provided the links.

    Hey, so be it, official reports submitted to the United Nations, or one guys opinion.

    I appreciate how hammered closed your mind is, so what your trying to prove, I don't know.

  2. #222
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eynon View Post
    the facts mostly show that Saddam was non-cooperative, not that he possessed nor was close to possessing nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.
    No, that's not what they showed.

    For example:

    S/1998/694, Letter of GS to the President


    7. As has been previously recorded, some uncertainty is inevitable in any country-wide technical verification process that aims to prove the absence of readily concealable objects, such as components of centrifuge machines or copies of weapon-related documentation, or activities such as small-scale enrichment or weaponization experimentation or computer-based studies. Thus, although IAEA has assembled a technically coherent picture of Iraq's clandestine nuclear programme, there is an inherent uncertainty in the completeness of that picture deriving from the possible existence of duplicate facilities or the possible existence of anomalous activities or facilities outside the technically coherent picture. This inherent uncertainty is compounded by Iraq's lack of full transparency in the provision of information, which has resulted in added uncertainties regarding the extent of external assistance to Iraq's clandestine nuclear programme and Iraq's achievements in some aspects of its clandestine nuclear programme, owing to the absence of related programme documentation.

  3. #223
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    No, that's not what they showed.

    For example:

    S/1998/694, Letter of GS to the President


    7. As has been previously recorded, some uncertainty is inevitable in any country-wide technical verification process that aims to prove the absence of readily concealable objects, such as components of centrifuge machines or copies of weapon-related documentation, or activities such as small-scale enrichment or weaponization experimentation or computer-based studies. Thus, although IAEA has assembled a technically coherent picture of Iraq's clandestine nuclear programme, there is an inherent uncertainty in the completeness of that picture deriving from the possible existence of duplicate facilities or the possible existence of anomalous activities or facilities outside the technically coherent picture. This inherent uncertainty is compounded by Iraq's lack of full transparency in the provision of information, which has resulted in added uncertainties regarding the extent of external assistance to Iraq's clandestine nuclear programme and Iraq's achievements in some aspects of its clandestine nuclear programme, owing to the absence of related programme documentation.
    they don't seem too sure do they?

  4. #224
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eynon View Post
    they don't seem to sure do they?
    No, they don't. Then they threw out the inspectors, after refusing to comply with the UN directions and resolutions they agreed to follow.

    Bad decision...

  5. #225
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post


    What you don't seem to be able to do is read the reports submitted by the inspectors themselves to the UN. I provided the links.

    Hey, so be it, official reports submitted to the United Nations, or one guys opinion.

    I appreciate how hammered closed your mind is, so what your trying to prove, I don't know.

    I'll go with head of the inspection team and the UN decision that their technical violations did not merit attack on Iraq. You act like my opinion is not shared by most of the world. When you have to start claiming most of the world is wrong and you are right, it would behoove you to reexamine your position.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #226
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    No, they don't. Then they threw out the inspectors, after refusing to comply with the UN directions and resolutions they agreed to follow.

    Bad decision...
    Ok I'll concede that, but wouldn't a better solution be to bomb the ever-living-snot outta the suspected sites? (opposed to invasion and occupation that is)

  7. #227
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I'll go with head of the inspection team and the UN decision that their technical violations did not merit attack on Iraq. You act like my opinion is not shared by most of the world. When you have to start claiming most of the world is wrong and you are right, it would behoove you to reexamine your position.


    I don't act like anything. I'm mearly pointing out the documented facts presented to the United Nations by the multi-national IAEA team who were on the ground in Iraq.

    What I don't do is make a habit of projecting fantasy and opinion and then ball them into feelings that I try to sell as representing what "most of the world" believes.

    I do try to maintain a fairly high degree of credibility, and avoid projection as a method of communication.

    Perhaps a concept worth exploring?

  8. #228
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eynon View Post
    Ok I'll concede that, but wouldn't a better solution be to bomb the ever-living-snot outta the suspected sites? (opposed to invasion and occupation that is)
    I'm can't argue with your approach. However, we bombed the pee out of Tora Bora, and didn't get the big Kahuna. Plus, collateral damage doesn't win friends. I don't think leveling large swaths of Iraq would have been a good idea.

    Today, we have a much greater capability of doing that kind of door knocking, with precision, so the offshoot of the last 10 years of experience is an improved ability to pick the lint off the sweater.

    I think it's a tragedy that people in the Middle East live to kill each other, especially when they have resources that could make a big difference in everyones lives. What a waste. I guess that is why they chose to remain in the desert, and they cling to such crude philosophies and ideas.

  9. #229
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post


    I don't act like anything. I'm mearly pointing out the documented facts presented to the United Nations by the multi-national IAEA team who were on the ground in Iraq.

    What I don't do is make a habit of projecting fantasy and opinion and then ball them into feelings that I try to sell as representing what "most of the world" believes.

    I do try to maintain a fairly high degree of credibility, and avoid projection as a method of communication.

    Perhaps a concept worth exploring?


    All you have pointed out are the technical violations that did not confirm any threat to anyone. That is why the UN did not approve our attack on Iraq.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #230
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Than why were you comparing Iraq to Germany and Japan? Saddam was less connected to al Qaeda than many, many others. They did not get along.

    So where does such fear come from in the most powerful nation on the planet?
    I was pointing out the consequences of not dealing with the threat. We were never fearful about being invaded by Germany, but were drawn into the war to support our friends, who felt Hitler could be contained through appeasement, much the same way we could be drawn into the same scenario with Saddam attacking Israel or helping terrorists develop WMDs that could hurt us at home or abroad. Your simpleton perspective of: as long as Saddam doesn't step on my soil, then we can just ignore him, is naive given the lessons from history dealing with murderous assholes...
    Caitlyn Strong...

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •