View Poll Results: Was invading Iraq and going to war in Iraq, was it the right choice?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 20.56%
  • No

    85 79.44%
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 307

Thread: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

  1. #211
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You know what I would suggest? Try reading the actual IAEA reports submitted to the United Nations for the years leading up to Iraq kicking inspectors out in 1999. Read their own words, and then lets have a discussion about "pretty well contained in his box".

    History is carved in stone, not subject to opinion and spin.

    Here is one of them. You could Google the dozens of others, if you wanted the truth.

    IAEA Report 10-8-98
    (shrug) personally I think the embargo and inspections were unnecessary...his army was in ruins following 11 years of war...his country deeply divided and barely held together..his economy a shambles...the entire region hated his guts. He was weak and isolated.

    Best course of action, probably invest in covert action among the Kurds and Shia to keep the regime unstable, keep the no-fly zone intact, and work with the more stable son on (eventually) restoring normal relations.

  2. #212
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eynon View Post
    (shrug) personally I think the embargo and inspections were unnecessary...his army was in ruins following 11 years of war...his country deeply divided and barely held together..his economy a shambles...the entire region hated his guts. He was weak and isolated.

    Best course of action, probably invest in covert action among the Kurds and Shia to keep the regime unstable, keep the no-fly zone intact, and work with the more stable son on (eventually) restoring normal relations.

    Well, according to the United Nations, it didn't appear Saddam was intent on letting that happen. The possibility of millions of people dying a violent death can be a great motivator.

  3. #213
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well, according to the United Nations, it didn't appear Saddam was intent on letting that happen. The possibility of millions of people dying a violent death can be a great motivator.

    And the possibility that USA Corporations might not get all that OIL can't go unstated. Bottom line.

  4. #214
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    And the possibility that USA Corporations might not get all that OIL can't go unstated. Bottom line.
    Well, there is that meme...

  5. #215
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well, according to the United Nations, it didn't appear Saddam was intent on letting that happen. The possibility of millions of people dying a violent death can be a great motivator.
    it should be a motivator only if it's realistic. Saddam may have wanted the sun and stars, but much like Kim Jong Un's desire to own the New York Yankees, it's probably never going to happen.

  6. #216
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eynon View Post
    it should be a motivator only if it's realistic. Saddam may have wanted the sun and stars, but much like Kim Jong Un's desire to own the New York Yankees, it's probably never going to happen.
    The facts illustrate the concern was realistic.

    IAEA and Iraq - Global Special Weapons - Nuclear, Biological Chemical and Missile Proliferation News

    As far as "never going to happen", one thing is for sure, Saddam will never get there.

  7. #217
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well, according to the United Nations, it didn't appear Saddam was intent on letting that happen. The possibility of millions of people dying a violent death can be a great motivator.
    Are you talking about the same UN that decided Iraq's technical violations did not merit invasion and occupation? That UN?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #218
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Are you talking about the same UN that decided Iraq's technical violations did not merit invasion and occupation? That UN?
    You love to project and blend your opinion and ideology into what you believe to be a fact don't you?

    I've posted the links. If you care to comment on what the IAEA inspectors reported to the United Nations, please do so.

    If you don't, it seems to me to be a bit of a waste of time to debate what is clearly fantasy and opinion.

  9. #219
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    The facts illustrate the concern was realistic.

    IAEA and Iraq - Global Special Weapons - Nuclear, Biological Chemical and Missile Proliferation News

    As far as "never going to happen", one thing is for sure, Saddam will never get there.
    the facts mostly show that Saddam was non-cooperative, not that he possessed nor was close to possessing nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

  10. #220
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You love to project and blend your opinion and ideology into what you believe to be a fact don't you?

    I've posted the links. If you care to comment on what the IAEA inspectors reported to the United Nations, please do so.

    If you don't, it seems to me to be a bit of a waste of time to debate what is clearly fantasy and opinion.


    What you don't seem to be able to accept is that the UN did not believe the technical violations merited attack on Iraq.

    This is what the head of the inspection team stated that had made 700 inspections of Iraq prior to our attack there:

    "On February 11 -- less than five weeks before the invasion -- I told U.S. national security adviser Condoleezza Rice I wasn't terribly impressed by the intelligence we had received from the U.S., and that there had been no weapons of mass destruction at any of the sites we had been recommended by American forces. Her response was that it was Iraq, and not the intelligence, that was on trial.

    ARWA DAMON: Iraq suffocates in cloak of sorrow

    And during a telephone chat with Tony Blair on February 20, I told the British prime minister that it would be paradoxical and absurd if a quarter of a million troops were to invade Iraq and find very little in the way of weapons. He responded by telling me intelligence was clear that Saddam had reconstituted his weapons of mass destruction program.

    At any rate, whatever view one took of the evidence of weapons, no one could believe in 2003 that prostrate Iraq was a threat to any other state."

    Why invading Iraq was a terrible mistake - CNN.com
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •