View Poll Results: Was invading Iraq and going to war in Iraq, was it the right choice?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 20.56%
  • No

    85 79.44%
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 307

Thread: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

  1. #131
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    You're young. You'll get over it. Find yourself a nice American girl, settle down, get a job, marry her and have a couple kids. I'm sure you'll forget all about it in a couple years.

    can.not.abide.

    I'm curious though...why do you feel this way?

  2. #132
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    And what does it say that they stayed long, long after, well into another presidency in fact even though Saddam was caught, tried, and killed and they had no WMD's?
    We needed time to get the oil law changed there and a government set up that could enforce it.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #133
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Looking back now I would not have had Iraq as a priority. But at the time when the decision was made given the info we had (that many in the international community seemed to agree with) it was the right thing to do.

    that's a tough call to make considering we, the general public that is, really aren't working with the info they had.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eynon View Post
    I'm curious though...why do you feel this way?
    I believe that society only works when its foundations are strong enough to maintain the society built on top of those foundations. Whatever the ideals of that society are/were at the time of its founding need to be maintained for the most part, or the foundation begins to crumble. It can be patched and in extreme cases parts of it can be replaced; but for the most part allowing that foundation to deteriorate will eventually lead to undermining of the entire structure. The morals and values that I believe this nation was founded on are long since gone from this society. That can only mean that we're in the process of chipping away at our own foundation. That is what I was taught and what I believe.

  5. #135
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    There will always be those that disagree or hold a conspiracy theory. It wasn't just the US that believed Sadam had WMDs, many in the international community also believed that was the case and several other nations helped us in the endeavor. Knowing what we know now I probably wouldn't go into Iraq. Knowing and believing what we did at the time I would support it.
    Fair enough, I just don't think it's conspiracy theory. From the things I've seen come out from the acutal people who gathered the intelligence, I don't think it's just a theory, I think it's what happened. But as I said, we can never know for sure, and that's a fair enough statement.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  6. #136
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I believe that society only works when its foundations are strong enough to maintain the society built on top of those foundations. Whatever the ideals of that society are/were at the time of its founding need to be maintained for the most part, or the foundation begins to crumble. It can be patched and in extreme cases parts of it can be replaced; but for the most part allowing that foundation to deteriorate will eventually lead to undermining of the entire structure. The morals and values that I believe this nation was founded on are long since gone from this society. That can only mean that we're in the process of chipping away at our own foundation. That is what I was taught and what I believe.
    but the founders were a bunch of drunk international merchants...

  7. #137
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eynon View Post
    or francis fukuyama



    considering how well Canada seems to be run relative to the US that makes no sense.
    It's been my experience that politics rarely does; 'strange bedfellows' and all that.

    Canada was never so attached to the United States, so well off because of the trade which was 80% of our GNP, as in the 60's and 70's; yet Pearson detested Johnson personally, Trudeau scorned Nixon who referred to Trudeau as "that asshole up North" and throughout, the US State Department was completely miffed at Canada's acceptance of draft dodgers.

    And who would ever have guessed that Tony Blair and Dubya would get a man crush on each other?
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  8. #138
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    All the evidence points more to it being about control of the oil than to WMD.

    I think McCain put it best, "an energy policy which will eliminate our dependence on oil from Middle East that will then prevent us from having ever to send our young men and women into conflict again in the Middle East."
    I think part of the untold story of the War in Iraq was the government finally made the connection between the Islamic Holy Land of Saudi Arabia and its motivation for 9/11, that we needed to get out of Saudi Arabia over Islamic sensitivities to their Holy Land being contaminated by our infidel presence in the face of our continued need for oil. Moving north to Iraq helped fit that bill. One justification, but not the entirety of the motivation. I think Bush honestly believed in a post 9/11 world the likes of Saddam Hussein and what turned out to be an imagined association between all Arabs who wanted us dead, IE: Al Qaeda, the US was vulnerable to more 9/11 type attacks but in the future with NBC munitions if Hussein was left in power.

    None of this would have ever been a threat at all from the Iranian Embassy Crisis during the Carter years, to Desert Storm, to the attack on the USS Cole, to 9/11, The War on Terror, to AQ Khan's nuclear proliferation campaign, to The War in Iraq if we oil were not a monopoly over American transportation.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #139
    User Eynon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-02-13 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    105

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    It's been my experience that politics rarely does; 'strange bedfellows' and all that.

    Canada was never so attached to the United States, so well off because of the trade which was 80% of our GNP, as in the 60's and 70's; yet Pearson detested Johnson personally, Trudeau scorned Nixon who referred to Trudeau as "that asshole up North" and throughout, the US State Department was completely miffed at Canada's acceptance of draft dodgers.

    And who would ever have guessed that Tony Blair and Dubya would get a man crush on each other?
    leaders develop weird crushes...I'm reading a bio of Truman right now and both he and FDR felt lots of man-love toward Stalin.

  10. #140
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Invading Iraq the Right Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I think part of the untold story of the War in Iraq was the government finally made the connection between the Islamic Holy Land of Saudi Arabia and its motivation for 9/11, that we needed to get out of Saudi Arabia over Islamic sensitivities to their Holy Land being contaminated by our infidel presence in the face of our continued need for oil. Moving north to Iraq helped fit that bill. One justification, but not the entirety of the motivation. I think Bush honestly believed in a post 9/11 world the likes of Saddam Hussein and what turned out to be an imagined association between all Arabs who wanted us dead, IE: Al Qaeda, the US was vulnerable to more 9/11 type attacks but in the future with NBC munitions if Hussein was left in power.

    None of this would have ever been a threat at all from the Iranian Embassy Crisis during the Carter years, to Desert Storm, to the attack on the USS Cole, to 9/11, The War on Terror, to AQ Khan's nuclear proliferation campaign, to The War in Iraq if we oil were not a monopoly over American transportation.
    I think the key to it all is your last paragraph. We don't hold property rights quite so dear when they belong to another country.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •