View Poll Results: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Having children is a moral obligation to God/society/family/etc.

    9 3.93%
  • No, they are free not to have children. They don't have to answer to anybody

    161 70.31%
  • Not if they have reproductive problems.

    2 0.87%
  • Yes, even if they have reproductive problems. They can adopt, you know.

    1 0.44%
  • They should get a medal for lowering world population.

    44 19.21%
  • Other

    10 4.37%
  • I don't know.

    2 0.87%
Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 522

Thread: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

  1. #451
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    No, because you are avoiding the question by changing the premise. What I want to know is, are you honest enough that is something happened (long term or short) that caused you to change your mind (no pressures from anyone else, no traumatic head injuries), would you come out here (assuming this site is still here) and admit it to everyone? I don't expect it to happen. I just acknowledge that this is a possibility (maybe probability is a better word), however slim it is.
    In asking this question in this way, you are simply choosing to deny that there are people different from you, and insisting that despite the fact that you are not in our heads, you know us better.

    So if you are simply going to reject the possibility that we know ourselves better than you do, why do you deserve acknowledgment?

    Tell me, do you think you'll wake up one day and regret terribly that you had kids? What if I simply insisted this was a very real possibility no matter how you feel about it?

  2. #452
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    No, because you are avoiding the question by changing the premise. What I want to know is, are you honest enough that is something happened (long term or short) that caused you to change your mind (no pressures from anyone else, no traumatic head injuries), would you come out here (assuming this site is still here) and admit it to everyone? I don't expect it to happen. I just acknowledge that this is a possibility (maybe probability is a better word), however slim it is.
    I'm not avoiding anything. I HAVE answered your question, albeit a little later than you wanted, and you obviously don't like my answer. Not my problem.

    I have NO desire for or intention to either get married OR have children, so the "if" question you keep posting here clearly ISN'T going to happen. I'm NOT going to change my mind about marriage or motherhood, no matter how many times you ask it.

  3. #453
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    RD, I stopped reading at 'sluthood' and I'm not going to read the rest of that 'book' that would be just as slanted. If you can express your opinion more concisely, please do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #454
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    In asking this question in this way, you are simply choosing to deny that there are people different from you, and insisting that despite the fact that you are not in our heads, you know us better.

    So if you are simply going to reject the possibility that we know ourselves better than you do, why do you deserve acknowledgment?

    Tell me, do you think you'll wake up one day and regret terribly that you had kids? What if I simply insisted this was a very real possibility no matter how you feel about it?

    Not only that, as I've also pointed out...it's an individual decision and one that will only affect that individual (disappointed family not counted). We all have to make major decisions in our lives and live by them....whatever the consequences.

    If someone regrets their decision not to marry or not have kids...oh well, that is the nature of life. Most single decisions dont define a person's entire life and we deal with it.


    (exceptions are those decisions that kill you or leave you handicapped for life...like jumping out of airplanes, for example. Altho I've never had need to regret that myself )
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #455
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    RD, I stopped reading at 'sluthood' and I'm not going to read the rest of that 'book' that would be just as slanted. If you can express your opinion more concisely, please do so.
    What slanted? I quoted from a feminist blog, feministe. Isn't what they write "approved feminist thought" and thus safe for your eyes to read?

  6. #456
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    What slanted? I quoted from a feminist blog, feministe. Isn't what they write "approved feminist thought" and thus safe for your eyes to read?
    As I said, I did not read it but 'sluthood' was a non-starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #457
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    As I said, I did not read it but 'sluthood' was a non-starter.
    Then don't read it. Why should I care about your own personal standards? You feeling that it was worthwhile to write a comment telling me that you weren't going to read my comment reminds me of a little girl phoning her friend to inform her that she's not going to speak to her again because of a tiff. What's the point? The little girl should just not speak to her friend. If you don't want to read the comment, then don't read it. It doesn't help me at all to know that you're not reading that comment, there are thousands of people on this board who aren't reading my comment. I can't help it if there are feminists out there who valorize sluthood. I'm just quoting them. I'm not going to self-censor to please your peculiar tastes.

    So, until the conversation picks up again on a different variant, we really can't speak about anything beyond my introductory paragraph in that comment. Too bad because I thought there was merit in my point. Now you can't disabuse me of that notion.

  8. #458
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Then don't read it. Why should I care about your own personal standards? You feeling that it was worthwhile to write a comment telling me that you weren't going to read my comment reminds me of a little girl phoning her friend to inform her that she's not going to speak to her again because of a tiff. What's the point? The little girl should just not speak to her friend. If you don't want to read the comment, then don't read it. It doesn't help me at all to know that you're not reading that comment, there are thousands of people on this board who aren't reading my comment. I can't help it if there are feminists out there who valorize sluthood. I'm just quoting them. I'm not going to self-censor to please your peculiar tastes.

    So, until the conversation picks up again on a different variant, we really can't speak about anything beyond my introductory paragraph in that comment. Too bad because I thought there was merit in my point. Now you can't disabuse me of that notion.
    You quoted my post with an entire wall of text. No, I wasnt going to read a cut and paste from other people that started out offensively.

    I only said I wasnt reading it so you'd understand why no response was forthcoming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #459
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    No it isn't, because the beast doesn't consciously think about this trophy-less race you're implying.

    People who don't fully understand or haven't fully accepted the non-sentient and non-magical nature of evolution and how nature works attach a sense of value and meaning to it, and then try to reverse-engineer justifications for all the stupid **** humans do to each other.

    The beast (including the state of nature human beast), in truth, doesn't give a crap about the childfree, because it doesn't have this kind of knowledge, and therefore can't misunderstand it. They are worrying about their own lives, and the safety of their own tribe, and that's it. The fact is evolution has no "winners" or "losers" in the way we think of it. It simply is. There's no value attached to it.
    Just as I said - it's not rational, it's emotional/instinctual or subconscious if you prefer. And, yes, they are worrying about their own survival, I never said they weren't. The members of bigger, stronger tribes are more likely to survive.

    There are "winners" and "losers" - the genes that continue through to the next generation are the winners. That doesn't mean an organism (evolution) is guided by anything other than the genes that continue.



    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    We live in a society that still thinks what women do with their lives is any of its business. We are still debating whether women have a right to their medical care and their bodies in the public square. Some places have moved past this, or never had this in the first place, but we haven't moved past it, and therefore it's pretty clear where this crap comes from.
    Sadly, yes we do, as much as our rational minds should say it's none of our business.

    Don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to say it's right because I don't believe it is. All I'm trying to say is that it's understandable given our biological history. I can also understand the guy that walks in on his wife in bed with another man and kills the man. That doesn't mean I approve and it certainly doesn't stop society from throwing the guy in jail for a few years.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #460
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,175

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Just as I said - it's not rational, it's emotional/instinctual or subconscious if you prefer. And, yes, they are worrying about their own survival, I never said they weren't. The members of bigger, stronger tribes are more likely to survive.

    There are "winners" and "losers" - the genes that continue through to the next generation are the winners. That doesn't mean an organism (evolution) is guided by anything other than the genes that continue.



    Sadly, yes we do, as much as our rational minds should say it's none of our business.

    Don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to say it's right because I don't believe it is. All I'm trying to say is that it's understandable given our biological history. I can also understand the guy that walks in on his wife in bed with another man and kills the man. That doesn't mean I approve and it certainly doesn't stop society from throwing the guy in jail for a few years.
    No, it isn't. It's something people have the luxury of misinterpreting due to a poor understanding of science.

    In our biological history, no one gives a crap what some random chick from the next tribe over does.

    Humans by nature are rather gentle actually, because we don't really have to compete when we're in a nomadic state. Murder was very rare, because you have to be somewhat blunted to do it, and in those kinds of close tribes, it's nearly unthinkable.

    And see, that's the point. Almost everything about humanity is flexible, depending on environment and culture. That's our survival mechanism: flexibility.

    This culture, in which women are still generally considered more of a tool than actual people, is prone to pestering women about what they do with their uterus. That doesn't mean it's "natural." So if you don't think it's ok, stop making excuses for it.

Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •