View Poll Results: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Having children is a moral obligation to God/society/family/etc.

    9 3.93%
  • No, they are free not to have children. They don't have to answer to anybody

    161 70.31%
  • Not if they have reproductive problems.

    2 0.87%
  • Yes, even if they have reproductive problems. They can adopt, you know.

    1 0.44%
  • They should get a medal for lowering world population.

    44 19.21%
  • Other

    10 4.37%
  • I don't know.

    2 0.87%
Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 522

Thread: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

  1. #141
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yeah, it sometimes depends on where you live. I got virtually none of that in Europe or NZ. I don't really get it in Minneapolis either. But in the surburbs and in the South? It can get pretty nasty.

    I do tell people that I choose not to have them, but I do this because the more people are confronted with it, the more they'll hopefully learn how to behave themselves. I don't tell them why or any such thing -- I have no need to justify myself. But I feel it's important to remind people we exist and some of us don't take any crap.

    That said, it's completely legit to just say it's none of anyone's damn business. But I'm a rabble rouser. What can I say.
    I do live in the south, and I'm sure I've pissed some people off by not responding.

    If pushed, as I react to most things when pushed, they won't like my response.

    Stay your course. More people should.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  2. #142
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    I do live in the south, and I'm sure I've pissed some people off by not responding.

    If pushed, as I react to most things when pushed, they won't like my response.

    Stay your course. More people should.
    Yeah, my immediate candor probably has something to do with it. I started off not thinking it was really a thing. I knew it's quite personal to many people, but it never was to me necessarily. Even before I knew it was such a big deal and I would sort of mention it off-highhandedly at relevant points, I would still get some pretty weird reactions. Why is everyone so worried about my uterus?

    And that's kinda what happened to my partner. I didn't think it was a big deal to simply say it, so neither did he. But boy, he learned fast.

    Cheers. You too.

  3. #143
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    This whole OP is crappola.

    When a religious nut tells me I need to accept Jesus in order to be saved, I tell them I'm Jewish. Not true but it ends the conversation. When people ask me why I don't have kids, I tell them I shoot blanks. Not true but none of their business. People telling each other what to believe or how to use their woohoo is getting too personal.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #144
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,542

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Many couples don't have children for various reasons. Should they be considered inferior in society?
    Considering the planet has 7 Billion people on it already, I would say the people who are procreating are selfish.

  5. #145
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,873
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well I'm happy to have been able to help, then.
    Okay then.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?


  7. #147
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,562

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Here's the hole in your theory. You don't give a **** about people doing whta makes them happy, you give a **** about people doing what makes them happy as long as it fits in your world view that anyone believing anything beyond the evident is an idiot worthy of ridicule.

    You suggest people should do what "makes them happy", yet watch your socrn for the religious. you suggest people wshould do what make sthem happy, yet you suggest Viktyr has a problem when it is rather apparent from his writing that what would bring happiness to him is a belief within himself of fulfilling a purpose and unspoken promise to those who came before him to allow in his mind their words, teachings, and beliefs to live on through yet another generation. But you have utter disdain for that view point or those that hold it, so decry him as "having a problem" and belittle his view while acting like you're so much more enlightened by telling him to do whta "makes him happy" as you sit there trashing that very thing.
    1) So let me get this straight. By engaging in a debate, defending those who choose not to have kids against people basically calling them selfish pieces of ****, I am violating my views that people should do what makes them happy? Did I ever suggest Victor not have kids? Did I insult him for having kids? Did I ever suggest forcing anyone to do anything? Or did I provide counter arguments to attacks on the childless?

    2) I have zero problem with the religious. I have a problem with people who try to involve their religion in politics or force it on others. THAT is an issue. If trying to get the government to force your jesus values on other people is what makes you happy, then sorry. The caveat is do what makes you happy if you're not harming anyone else's freedoms in the process.

    So yes, I do think people should do what makes them happy, as long as it does not effect someone else's right to do the same. I don't have to like what they're doing, I'm not a republican or democrat. Both parties try to force their non-violent morality on others. I'm more of a live and let live type. If you can provide any quotes where I've contradicted myself on that matter, by all means.

    Next time I'll apologize for being a selfish piece of **** who disgraces my ancestors instead of debating, if that's what you want.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 03-18-13 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #148
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    People already assumed your thoughts on this topic were/are religious based.
    They are. I am, for all intents and purposes, a religious fundamentalist. But that doesn't mean that my religious arguments matter a damn to people who don't share my religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    What is the point of the poll? Might as well ask whether people look down on single parents, or just the Octamom.
    I'm willing to bet that a lot of people do. I don't look down on single parents, but I definitely believe it's wrong to choose to raise a child alone.

  9. #149
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,080

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Again, it is up to you to provide evidence to support your point. You have not done so. An add for a book is not evidence.
    No, the evidence compiled in the book is the evidence. Again, if you know of anyone who has compiled the data and drawn the opposite conclusions, I would be interested in seeing them.

  10. #150
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, the evidence compiled in the book is the evidence. Again, if you know of anyone who has compiled the data and drawn the opposite conclusions, I would be interested in seeing them.
    Then link to that compiled evidence. Pardon me if I do not take your word for it. Linking to an add is not supplying evidence. So far you have made a claim with no supporting evidence, carefully done in such a way that one cannot actually look at the evidence and make a critical evaluation.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •