View Poll Results: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Having children is a moral obligation to God/society/family/etc.

    9 3.93%
  • No, they are free not to have children. They don't have to answer to anybody

    161 70.31%
  • Not if they have reproductive problems.

    2 0.87%
  • Yes, even if they have reproductive problems. They can adopt, you know.

    1 0.44%
  • They should get a medal for lowering world population.

    44 19.21%
  • Other

    10 4.37%
  • I don't know.

    2 0.87%
Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 522

Thread: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

  1. #131
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    when you are unable to provide even someone who has looked at the same numbers and come to the opposing conclusion, but rather simply continue with ridiculous accusations against others, you will perhaps excuse the rest of us if we are not terribly impressed.
    Again, it is up to you to provide evidence to support your point. You have not done so. An add for a book is not evidence. Whether his conclusions are correct bor not, I do not know,m since I have no data to look at. Since you are the one making the claimn, it is up to you to actually support it. Crying that some one pointed out that your source was not an actual source is not going to make your claim true or false.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #132
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Many couples don't have children for various reasons. Should they be considered inferior in society?
    Until such time as society can adequately predict who will be a good parent as opposed to who can pop out the most offspring, I'd say any couple who chooses not to have a child has made a conscious choice that they would not be good parents, at least at that moment in time, has done society a favor. Society does not need any more abandoned or ignored children of unfit parents.

    For those who are barren or infertile, I would consider them no less inferior than the mentally disabled, those who are born with disfigurements, liberals, as examples. To do so would open up the whole argument, potentially, for claiming that gay people are inferior because they can't procreate in the "normal" manner.

    I find the whole discussion, in many ways, a little offensive since I feel that all people are equal regardless of their particular family dynamic and no one lifestyle choice should be valued above another.

  3. #133
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    I've been trying very hard to keep my religious views out of this
    People already assumed your thoughts on this topic were/are religious based.

  4. #134
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I think you are imposing your personal experiences on the rest of the populace here. By what polling or census data are you breaking the two down?
    "Childless" is a lumping together of everyone who doesn't have children, but may in the future. This includes infertile couples currently undergoing some kind of treatment or attempting to adopt, people who never found a partner to have kids with, and people who are too young to have gotten to that point in their lives. There is no data on the "childless," because they are a million different things. You have to look at each of those things individually.

    Women who choose to be childfree feel more pressure to reproduce than other women without children, but they're less distressed about their childfree lifestyle than other non-moms, new research finds.

    Unsurprisingly, women who wanted children but did not have them because of fertility or medical issues were the most distressed, according to the study published in the October issue of The Journal of Marriage and Family.
    'Childfree' Women Feel Little Distress, Study Finds | LiveScience

    They found that for these women the choice to be childless was multidetermined, persistent over time, and ego-syntonic. Comparison with other samples of women indicate that this is a distinct and nontraditional population.
    Childless by choice: a clinical study. [Am J Psychiatry. 1977] - PubMed - NCBI

    No, and no one has suggested such. As I prefaced in my original post in this thread that you responded to (as I recall): "All things being equal", the childless (or child-free, if you wish) have contributed less. They have not borne the costs of raising the next generation upon whom they will depend in their old age - it's a free rider problem. And, (again) even in the working years the childless tend to be less productive than parents.
    But all things are not equal. Childfree people have an entirely different focus and purpose in life. I have already countered your claim that they haven't contributed enough, which is frankly ridiculous on its face, and you have offered no counter but to simply say "nuh-uh."

    Where is your evidence that the childfree are less productive? Especially since they are the ones pulling the shifts that parents have to miss.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 03-18-13 at 12:18 PM.

  5. #135
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Many couples don't have children for various reasons. Should they be considered inferior in society?
    When I first read this, I didn't respond only because my response would have been rather nasty.

    Many have covered the same topic, but in general, there are hundreds of reasons why a couple may not have children. To even think to ask a question as to if they should be considered inferior garners a gut response from me that exceeds polite conversation.

    It doesn't change the couple's contribution to society.
    It doesn't change their responsibility to the societal pool.
    It is no one's business but thier own as to why they are childless.
    It doesn't change the respect of their ancestors.
    And they sure as hell aren't inferior to ANYBODY.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #136
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    When I first read this, I didn't respond only because my response would have been rather nasty.

    Many have covered the same topic, but in general, there are hundreds of reasons why a couple may not have children. To even think to ask a question as to if they should be considered inferior garners a gut response from me that exceeds polite conversation.
    Yeah, it'll have that affect the first few times you hear it. Especially the first time you have someone actually start yelling at you or wishing ill health on you.

    My partner just got his first taste of that when he told someone I'm childfree (he is what I call "baby ambivalent"). I don't think he ever really believed the stories I told... until he saw it for himself.

    Trust me, the people here, with the benefit of the enforced cool time of typing, are being less offensive than most, at least in America.

    Eventually you just start hearing what they're really saying: "I am SO ****ING MAD that you aren't validating my choices by living like I tell you to live! Why are you not responding to my shaming!? @#$%!"

    People are like that about an awful lot of things. You just have to pay attention.

    And at that point, it actually starts being a little cute.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 03-18-13 at 12:40 PM.

  7. #137
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    What is the point of the poll? Might as well ask whether people look down on single parents, or just the Octamom.

  8. #138
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yeah, it'll have that affect the first few times you hear it. Especially the first time you have someone actually start yelling at you or wishing ill health on you.

    My partner just got his first taste of that when he told someone I'm childfree (he is what I call "baby ambivalent"). I don't think he ever really believed the stories I told... until he saw it for himself.

    Trust me, the people here, with the benefit of the enforced cool time of typing, are being less offensive than most, at least in America.

    Eventually you just start hearing what they're really saying: "I am SO ****ING MAD that you aren't validating my choices by living like I tell you to live! Why are you not responding to my shaming!? @#$%!"

    And at that point, it actually starts being a little cute.
    I guess I have been fortunate that I haven't encountered such types. When asked if I have kids (by someone one who doesn't know me) the answer is a simple 'no'. They have no reason to know the reasons why. If they persue it, I walk away.

    If in the future, they become a friend, they will eventually find out the reasons.

    In this society where everyone feels they need to bare all (such as with twitter, fb, and decals on the back of their vehicle, lol) most people feel they have some ingrained right to know the why's and wherefores of your life. It doesn't work well with me.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  9. #139
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,947

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Many couples don't have children for various reasons. Should they be considered inferior in society?
    No, they should not considered inferior. In this day and age, no one has a responsibility to pop kids out for the sake of having kids. Some people know they wouldn't be up to the task or have no desire for children whatsoever. Know thyself and act accordingly. Why create misery for themselves and the children they would be less than committed to raising?

    I've given my kids that message. They don't have an obligation to me to provide me with grandchildren and I certainly wouldn't consider them inferior if they didn't.

  10. #140
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Should childless couples be considered inferior?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    I guess I have been fortunate that I haven't encountered such types. When asked if I have kids (by someone one who doesn't know me) the answer is a simple 'no'. They have no reason to know the reasons why. If they persue it, I walk away.

    If in the future, they become a friend, they will eventually find out the reasons.

    In this society where everyone feels they need to bare all (such as with twitter, fb, and decals on the back of their vehicle, lol) most people feel they have some ingrained right to know the why's and wherefores of your life. It doesn't work well with me.
    Yeah, it sometimes depends on where you live. I got virtually none of that in Europe or NZ. I don't really get it in Minneapolis either. But in the surburbs and in the South? It can get pretty nasty.

    I do tell people that I choose not to have them, but I do this because the more people are confronted with it, the more they'll hopefully learn how to behave themselves. I don't tell them why or any such thing -- I have no need to justify myself. But I feel it's important to remind people we exist and some of us don't take any crap.

    That said, it's completely legit to just say it's none of anyone's damn business. But I'm a rabble rouser. What can I say.

Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •