View Poll Results: Against SSM? If family member came out to you, would you change your mind?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

    10 29.41%
  • No, but possibly at some point.

    0 0%
  • Yes.

    4 11.76%
  • I have gay family member(s), I'm still against SSM

    2 5.88%
  • Squirrel

    18 52.94%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 130

Thread: Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

  1. #41
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    In the narrowest technical sense, yes. But isn't it a bit like saying that women's right to vote isn't an equal rights issue?
    I disagree as it was only male citizen allowed to vote. So it was discriminatory.

    Marriage on the other hand allows both males and females to join. It does not discriminate as each are allowed to fully participate in a union with a person of the opposite sex. Loving was shown to be discriminatory because it did not allow a male to join with a female.

    Male/Male, female/female marriage didn't exist. It is creating a new right, and as such should be given it's own name. Not take that which belongs to another. It is disrespectful as the unions are not the same in all regards.

  2. #42
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    [QUOTE=Gipper;1061574198Can you see why I juuuuuuuuuuuust might prefer they make alternate plans on family get-together days?[/QUOTE]




    I see your point.

    Sometimes a man has to do (Or not do.) what a man has to do (Or not do.).

    We just have to continue to try to change the world one person at a time.

  3. #43
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Okay, so they're probably an extreme minority. So what?


    If there were two gay people in the USA would you want to deny them the same rights that you have?

    Why?

  4. #44
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Anyone who is against gay marriage is (imo) either middle aged or older and/or too religious and/or below average in intelligence.


    How many Catholic priests, bishops, cardinals with doctorates in theology and other fields do you think are below average in intelligence?

    Just curious.

  5. #45
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    [QUOTE=Black Manta;1061575422 So I support SSM even though I will never recognize it as being under God.[/QUOTE]




    If more religious people would think like you we would have way fewer problems.

    Same sex marriage will eventually be the law in the USA, no matter what the pope or anyone else thinks.

    The vast majority of young people support it and I believe that they will outlive those who are against it.

    Do the math.

  6. #46
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    I disagree as it was only male citizen allowed to vote. So it was discriminatory.

    Marriage on the other hand allows both males and females to join.
    But only with the opposite sex. Those who have no interest in the opposite sex cannot marry at all, in practical terms. Just like allowing women to vote meant "redefining of universal suffrage", accomodating these people requires "redefining of marriage".

    What would you say about a law that states: everbody has the right to join chess clubs, whether they play chess or not, but not macramé clubs - because it doesn't fit our current definition of "club" (And macramé is so gay)?

  7. #47
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    ill never understand why anybody is against equal rights.



    Some people say that it's because those who oppose equal rights think that if everyone has the same rights that they have, their rights will not be worth as much.

    I am not buying that idea.

    It's all about hate.

    Those who oppose equal rights for any group of people, hate those people.

    That's it in a nutshell.



    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

  8. #48
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    It is creating a new right, and as such should be given it's own name. Not take that which belongs to another.
    Last time I checked, the word "marriage" was not patented by anyone.

    In principle, I agree: let's have "civil unions" for everyone, and leave "marriage" (holy matrimony) for churches. But no opponent of gay marriage I've heard of had ever promoted such solution on the legislative or even rhetorical level. Why not?

  9. #49
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    1.) False
    2.) False
    3.) Wrong! It is your side that has never been able to counter it. Just like you can't now .
    4.) Yes your example does fail, as it is a false equivalency.
    5.) Yes, that is what you support shows.
    6.) Again. False equivalency.
    7.) Only because idiots pushed and supported it. Doesn't change what I said, or make my position wrong. And it is an idiotic response. Your reply is like saying slavery wasn't a violation because it was legal.
    8.) Wrong! No it hasn't been proven wrong, it is your position that has been. They are creating a new right, as it did not exist before it was created.
    9.) iLOL Not an equal rights issue. It is a new right issue.
    10.) No it is not a lie. It is exactly what they are doing. With your support even.


    iLOL

    They are neither false, nor have they been defeated. You thinking they have been is hilarious.
    You have done no such thing, nor has anyone else. You thinking you have, is ridiculously hilarious.
    And they remain factual to this day. You thinking they are not, is absurdly hilarious.
    thats what i thought you got nothing LMAO
    you have been thoroughly exposed

    I have stated facts and posted "nu-huh" thats brilliant LMAO

    fact is gay marriage already exist you cant change that
    its already been proven to be an equal rights issue

    let me know when you can defeat these facts with anything other than your hurt feelings and opinion

    soon equal gay rights will be national, just the way it is an d it will be a great day because america will have again fixed and inequality, further protected equal rights and rid ourselves of some more discrimination.

    so lets recap, gay marriage already exsists and has before we were ever born so you are wrong trying to push your OPINION that it doesn't, if you disagree FACTUALLY prove otherwise, you will fail as usual
    it is about equal gay rights and this has also been proven, if you disagree factually rove otherwise, i cant wait.

    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #50
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    1.)Some people say that it's because those who oppose equal rights think that if everyone has the same rights that they have, their rights will not be worth as much.

    2.)I am not buying that idea.

    3.)It's all about hate.

    4.)Those who oppose equal rights for any group of people, hate those people.

    That's it in a nutshell.



    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
    1.) this is false and has been proven
    2.) of course your not because its complete nonsensical BS that cant be supported with anytime of logic facts or honesty
    3.) i dont agree here, hate is part of it for some people for sure but all of them dont hate, some fear, some are simply ignorant, some are simply hypocritical and selfish
    4.) again not sure i a can agree here, see answer above. BUT i will say there is a HUGE difference betwenn simply not agree and believeing its wrong for ones self and ACTIVELY fighting to STOP equal rights, there's no excuse for that bigotry.
    5.) partially agree
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •