View Poll Results: Against SSM? If family member came out to you, would you change your mind?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

    10 29.41%
  • No, but possibly at some point.

    0 0%
  • Yes.

    4 11.76%
  • I have gay family member(s), I'm still against SSM

    2 5.88%
  • Squirrel

    18 52.94%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 130

Thread: Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

  1. #31
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    ill never understand why anybody is against equal rights

    and while its great that rob was able to see what the right and proper thing to do was once a person close to him was effected thats the way ALL AMERICANS should think.

    Its said so many of them only care about themselves and their opinions and dont care about the rights, liberties and freedoms of others.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #32
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    ill never understand why anybody is against equal rights
    It isn't an equal rights issue.
    It is creating a new right.

    And frankly, spare me the reply that it is an old an tired argument. It isn't. It is as valid as when it was first made.
    The right they want created doesn't exist for anybody.

    With very few exceptions (showing that it is really a privilege and not a right) everybody is currently allowed to marry someone of the opposite sex. Regardless if you actually love them or not.

    The fact that gays (in general) can't accept this shows disrespect for the actual institution of union called marriage.
    Even though they too can engage in said union with someone of the opposite sex it doesn't matter to them.
    They want to be able to have a union for those of the same sex which isn't marriage.
    So instead they want to create a new right.
    I have no problem with that. Create a new right where anybody can form a union with another of the same sex. Just give it another name.
    Trying to take the name marriage and the terms associated with it, is just disrespectful.

  3. #33
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    1.)It isn't an equal rights issue.
    It is creating a new right.

    3.)And frankly, spare me the reply that it is an old an tired argument. It isn't. It is as valid as when it was first made.
    The right they want created doesn't exist for anybody.

    4.)With very few exceptions (showing that it is really a privilege and not a right) everybody is currently allowed to marry someone of the opposite sex. Regardless if you actually love them or not.

    5.)The fact that gays (in general) can't accept this shows disrespect for the actual institution of union called marriage.
    6.)Even though they too can engage in said union with someone of the opposite sex it doesn't matter to them.
    7.)They want to be able to have a union for those of the same sex which isn't marriage.
    8.)So instead they want to create a new right.
    9.)I have no problem with that. Create a new right where anybody can form a union with another of the same sex. Just give it another name.
    10.)Trying to take the name marriage and the terms associated with it, is just disrespectful.
    1.) false
    2.) false
    3.) translation: you have never been able to prove otherwise so you dismiss it when people bring this fact up
    4.) yeah and everybody was allowed to drink out of fountains too when blacks had thier own. Once again this example fails.
    5.) no it shows they are stupid enough to believe lies and know what equal rights are
    6.) eventhough blacks to could drink out of water fountains like everybody else that didnt matter to them (see how stupid your example is LMAO)
    7.) facts disagree with your opinion, its already marriage, in some places its even legal marriage
    8.) already proven 100% false
    9.) not needed the name already exists people are just waiting for equal rights to spread nationally on this issue
    10.) nobody is factually do this its a made up lie

    let me know when you have any facts to support your false claims because all these have been defeated by many people with many facts
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #34
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    ill never understand why anybody is against equal rights

    and while its great that rob was able to see what the right and proper thing to do was once a person close to him was effected thats the way ALL AMERICANS should think.

    Its said so many of them only care about themselves and their opinions and dont care about the rights, liberties and freedoms of others.
    Yeah, like i said most will never reach the empathy stage, and this is why i don't care to win over the opinions of bigots. Support it or don't. The court will decide this and the social war outside shanty small towns and the deep south has ended anyway. Opposition is irrelevant.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    1.) false
    2.) false
    3.) translation: you have never been able to prove otherwise so you dismiss it when people bring this fact up
    4.) yeah and everybody was allowed to drink out of fountains too when blacks had thier own. Once again this example fails.
    5.) no it shows they are stupid enough to believe lies and know what equal rights are
    6.) eventhough blacks to could drink out of water fountains like everybody else that didnt matter to them (see how stupid your example is LMAO)
    7.) facts disagree with your opinion, its already marriage, in some places its even legal marriage
    8.) already proven 100% false
    9.) not needed the name already exists people are just waiting for equal rights to spread nationally on this issue
    10.) nobody is factually do this its a made up lie
    1.) False
    2.) False
    3.) Wrong! It is your side that has never been able to counter it. Just like you can't now .
    4.) Yes your example does fail, as it is a false equivalency.
    5.) Yes, that is what you support shows.
    6.) Again. False equivalency.
    7.) Only because idiots pushed and supported it. Doesn't change what I said, or make my position wrong. And it is an idiotic response. Your reply is like saying slavery wasn't a violation because it was legal.
    8.) Wrong! No it hasn't been proven wrong, it is your position that has been. They are creating a new right, as it did not exist before it was created.
    9.) iLOL Not an equal rights issue. It is a new right issue.
    10.) No it is not a lie. It is exactly what they are doing. With your support even.


    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    let me know when you have any facts to support your false claims because all these have been defeated by many people with many facts
    iLOL

    They are neither false, nor have they been defeated. You thinking they have been is hilarious.
    You have done no such thing, nor has anyone else. You thinking you have, is ridiculously hilarious.
    And they remain factual to this day. You thinking they are not, is absurdly hilarious.

  6. #36
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    In light of Rob Portman's change of heart regarding gay marriage, if your son/daughter/brother/sister came to you and told you they were gay, would you, could you see yourself changing your stance?


    Since I have never felt that I deserved rights that others couldn't have I wouldn't need to change my stance.

    Change is coming.

    Don't think so?

    Wait and see.

    No one can stop time and/or change.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." Robert Green Ingersoll

    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." ~ Jebus H. Christ

    "Man has created God in his own image: intolerant, sexist, homophobic, and violent." ~ Marie

    If anything that I have said on this post steps on anyone's toes, excuse me very much.

    For everyone in the USA to have equal rights, some people will have to join the reality based world, whether they like it or not.

    That's just the way it is.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    In light of Rob Portman's change of heart regarding gay marriage, if your son/daughter/brother/sister came to you and told you they were gay, would you, could you see yourself changing your stance?
    Absolutely not. I support gay marriage, even it is my close relative who has to suffer.

  8. #38
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Still, it's how progress works I guess.


    It shouldn't have to be that way, but for some people that's just the way that it is.

    I'm certainly not going to attack Senator Portman because that's what it took to change his mind.

    I give the man a little credit for accepting reality, some people will never get past that point.

    He happens to be one GOPer that I had some respect for before this came out.

    Seems like a fairly decent guy to me.

  9. #39
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Marriage should NEVER be a political issue and especially not at the federal level.
    It should not, but it is, and at the federal level: a gay couple cannot obtain a fiance visa, for example.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    It isn't an equal rights issue.
    It is creating a new right.
    In the narrowest technical sense, yes. But isn't it a bit like saying that women's right to vote isn't an equal rights issue?

    Men always voted, women never did; "universal suffrage" meant the right of male citizens to vote, regardless of property, literacy, race or religion. Allowing women to do it as well was "redefining voting" and "creating a new right". But common sense tells you that it was, obviously, an issue of equality.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •