View Poll Results: Against SSM? If family member came out to you, would you change your mind?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

    10 29.41%
  • No, but possibly at some point.

    0 0%
  • Yes.

    4 11.76%
  • I have gay family member(s), I'm still against SSM

    2 5.88%
  • Squirrel

    18 52.94%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

  1. #121
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    03-19-13 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    937

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Also for legal purposes I think changing all marriages to civil unions might not be a bad idea. This way legally all couples would be equal under the law yet lets people define for themselves what they consider marriage.

    This issue is a classic case of minority rights.
    One learns more by listening than talking.

  2. #122
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    I'm all for eliminating the federal recognition of marriage alltogether and replacing it with a benefactor designation.

  3. #123
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    A flat tax would solve a large part of the marriage issue and would allow the government to get out of the marriage business almost completely.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #124
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,783

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The contract that exists, is a contract of union between two parties of the opposite sex. That contractual union has a specific name. It is call a marriage.
    That contractual union does not discriminate, as anyone, even homosexuals are able to marry another of the opposite sex. Which is what the contract is about.
    That is equal under the law.
    So it is not and equal rights issue, but a "new rights" issue as stated.

    It is a "new rights" issue because that "right" has to be created, as it does not exist at this time. (And we are speaking about the US. Not elsewhere.)
    Homosexuals want to create a new contract that allows for a union between those of the same sex, and they also want to call it marriage so to obtain the same benefits that those involved in a traditional marriage receive.

    The fact is, the right to marry a person of the same sex does not exist. It has to be created. So, it is creating a new right.
    And naming it the same as that of traditional marriage is stealing the name for their own selfish purposes, so so they can receive the same benefits as those in a traditional marriage.

    And like I said. This topic is so important that "squirrel" has the most votes. iLOL
    you do understand that all this is you OPINION right?

    did you forget the two questions already, wheres is your answer that FACTUALLY proves the word is being stolen? LMAO thats right you didn't answer.

    No to address the rest of you OPINION (not facts in relation to the questions asked) and how you falsely apply it

    you mention the contract.
    there are already both religious, non-religious and legal contracts that recognize gay marriage, this has been true before we were born.

    so FACTUALLY nobody is trying to steal anything because it cant be "stolen" it doesn't belong to anybody. SO that is FAIL number one

    next you say it doesnt discriminate but it factually does and it is NOT equal under the law as already proven. It discriminates based on gender.

    can Man can marry woman? yes
    can woman marry woman? no

    that means legal a man can do something a woman isnt allowed and vice versa, thats gender discrimination and NOT equal LMAO

    Next you nonsensical and in a very uneducated fashion mention that its ONLY a new right which is 100% false, it would be new but it would also be an equal right being granted as explained above.

    HISTORY and cases already decided prove this fact.

    Remind me again what woman and minorities were fighting for back in the day? EQUAL RIGHTS
    when minorities could drink out of water fountains just like everybody could but they could drink out of WHITES water fountains was that also EQUAL and fighting for a NEW right? of course not because that illogical and void of all reality common sense and facts.

    also you keep saying traditional which is BS because gay marriage is traditional just because its not YOUR traditional is meaningless LMAO this is just empty rhetoric that some people like you use but can never back it up with anything factual or logical.

    lastly the voting is meaningless, you keep bring this up but people arent voting because the options are worded badly LMAO

    if you notice i didnt even vote so you TRYING and FAILING to make a connection is again. More OPINION.

    ok lets try this again, and please pay attention to the wording because you dont understand the difference between your opinion and FACTS.

    read them slow this time and pay attention to the bolded, because you have failed again and provided zero facts that support your false claim.

    1.)FACTUALLY prove the word marriage is being "stolen" LMAO
    2.) FACTUALLY prove its not an equal rights issue.

    I cant wait to see the spin and opinion you post this time with nothing to support you.
    This is gonna be fun
    Last edited by AGENT J; 03-18-13 at 02:11 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #125
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,783

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    Also for legal purposes I think changing all marriages to civil unions might not be a bad idea. This way legally all couples would be equal under the law yet lets people define for themselves what they consider marriage.

    This issue is a classic case of minority rights.
    the issue is this is the harder way and more work and the illogical way to do it.

    Legal marriage is already there and marriage is the ONLY way to achieve the benefits and rights currently given by a marriage contract.
    civil unions do not and are not as binding as the courts have already shown. Marriages grants us like 1200 rights and benefits and to try to make something else do this that has already been defeated in court is the long way, harder way and nonsensical.

    Now im not saying you are against anything im just pointing out legal how much of a failure and illogical granting civil unions would be.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    If your dad killed your mom, would you want to legalize murder?

  7. #127
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    In light of Rob Portman's change of heart regarding gay marriage, if your son/daughter/brother/sister came to you and told you they were gay, would you, could you see yourself changing your stance?
    Its really a tough call......Don't know what I would do...I wish there was a Don't know option.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #128
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,880

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Its really a tough call......Don't know what I would do...I wish there was a Don't know option.
    Really Navy?

  9. #129
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    33

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Anyone who is against gay marriage is (imo) either middle aged or older and/or too religious and/or below average in intelligence.


    Btw - I am 'straight'.
    Incorrect.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If your dad killed your mom, would you want to legalize murder?
    Why did he kill her? It might already be legal.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •