View Poll Results: Against SSM? If family member came out to you, would you change your mind?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

    10 29.41%
  • No, but possibly at some point.

    0 0%
  • Yes.

    4 11.76%
  • I have gay family member(s), I'm still against SSM

    2 5.88%
  • Squirrel

    18 52.94%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 130

Thread: Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Maybe clicked the wrong thing? Well, another reason mob rule should never determine civil rights.
    I agree, civil rights should not be put to a vote.

    I don't see that you voted. Or were you referring to CP?

  2. #112
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    03-19-13 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    937

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    If two same sex couples want to get married, let them get married.

    It's your right to disagree and disapprove, it's their right to consider themselves married. For legal purposes, I don't see any reason to not allow them to file taxes jointly and be treated like normal couples.

    I think one fundamental determinant for weather you approve or disprove of homosexuals in general is if you believe it is by nature or by choice. Today's science leans towards the first. Either way, legally I don't see a problem.
    One learns more by listening than talking.

  3. #113
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    The way you voted in the poll:

    Against SSM? Would you change your mind?

    Lead me to believe you were against SSM. Some portions of this post:

    Seem to contradict that you say you have no problem with homosexuals marrying.

    Would you mind clarifying? Yes or no.
    Not at all. This is a subject that deserves fine definition of intent. I have no problem with homosexuals getting married. I oppose altering the definition of marriage to one that would include same-sex couples. If, for example, my sister found a man she was willing to marry and who was willing to marry her, I would be thrilled to dance with her at the wedding. I am not willing to alter the definition of marriage so that she can marry a girlfriend.

    Your view didn't change when your sister came out, because you were already ok with homosexuals marrying?
    My view did not change when my sister came out because my view was never based in my lack of love or compassion for homosexuals in the first place.

  4. #114
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,206

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    I'm not opposed to same sex marriage - I'm opposed to state sanctioned marriage for the purpose of social engineering within tax and regulatory policies. The only reason, in my view, that gay people want the same "legal" right to marry is so they can equally benefit from the government goodies that accrue to those who are married. If you didn't get certain tax and other benefits with the piece of paper, the piece of paper wouldn't be of so much concern.

    Society should honor the choices people make, who they choose to contracturally commit to etc., but should not reward or penalize citizens based on those commitments. A person who earns $100,000 should pay the same taxes and receive the same benefits irrespective of his/her marital status.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    soooooo why did you dodge my questions?

    I asked you for factually prove of your lies and all you offered was "nu-huh" and more opinion

    maybe you simply dont understand the questions

    ok simply admit that you are only posting your opinion and some of it is factually wrong or simply factually prove your lies

    since gay marriage exists and has before we were even born so FACTUALLY prove its being "stolen" LMAO
    next factually prove that its not an equal rights issue

    two simple questions about your lies that i want you to factually support i cant wait to read your next false post full of OPINION and ZERO facts
    You have a problem with thinking folks have dodged a question when they haven't.
    You also have a problem with thinking a person has to answer to every thing you say.
    And with thinking a person has said "nu-huh" when they clearly haven't.
    That is on you, not me.

    In addition you are wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    since gay marriage exists and has before we were even born so FACTUALLY prove its being "stolen" LMAO
    And again since you failed to pay attention.
    You are speaking to anomalies. Anomalies are not the norm.



    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    next factually prove that its not an equal rights issue
    I already have.
    But will do it again just for you because I understand your inability to thoroughly read that which has been provided.
    But of course you will just come back and say that I again haven't answered your questions when it is clear I have.

    The contract that exists, is a contract of union between two parties of the opposite sex. That contractual union has a specific name. It is call a marriage.
    That contractual union does not discriminate, as anyone, even homosexuals are able to marry another of the opposite sex. Which is what the contract is about.
    That is equal under the law.
    So it is not and equal rights issue, but a "new rights" issue as stated.

    It is a "new rights" issue because that "right" has to be created, as it does not exist at this time. (And we are speaking about the US. Not elsewhere.)
    Homosexuals want to create a new contract that allows for a union between those of the same sex, and they also want to call it marriage so to obtain the same benefits that those involved in a traditional marriage receive.

    The fact is, the right to marry a person of the same sex does not exist. It has to be created. So, it is creating a new right.
    And naming it the same as that of traditional marriage is stealing the name for their own selfish purposes, so so they can receive the same benefits as those in a traditional marriage.

    And like I said. This topic is so important that "squirrel" has the most votes. iLOL
    Last edited by Excon; 03-18-13 at 09:30 AM.

  6. #116
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    His son is a high achiever who was top of his class at the best prep school in southern Ohio and was accepted into Yale where he makes top grades. Both the boy's father and grandfather went to Dartmouth and his choice to go to Yale (which is far more gay friendly) was sort of a signal to some.



  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Not at all. This is a subject that deserves fine definition of intent. I have no problem with homosexuals getting married. I oppose altering the definition of marriage to one that would include same-sex couples. If, for example, my sister found a man she was willing to marry and who was willing to marry her, I would be thrilled to dance with her at the wedding. I am not willing to alter the definition of marriage so that she can marry a girlfriend.



    My view did not change when my sister came out because my view was never based in my lack of love or compassion for homosexuals in the first place.
    CP, please. You know what I meant by homosexuals marrying, was them marrying each other. I asked very clear questions, requiring yes/no answers. No need for all those words.

    Let's recap.

    You are against same sex marriage.
    Your view of same sex marriage didn't change because of your sister, you are still against permitting marriage to cover her and her girlfriend.
    Your poll answer is correct because her coming out didn't change your mind to permit her to marry her girlfriend.

    Fine and dandy.

  8. #118
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    CP, please. You know what I meant by homosexuals marrying, was them marrying each other. I asked very clear questions, requiring yes/no answers. No need for all those words.
    And that is why I was clear in my reply what I had meant. This is - as I pointed out - an area where we need to be clear what we mean. Because of your intended meaning a simple yes/no answer was insufficient. As you yourself indicated when that answer confused you and seemed contradictory.

    You are against same sex marriage.
    No. I am against redefining marriage in the ways that it would include SSM. This is broader in scope than simply "against SSM". For example, it also includes "opposes redefining marriage in ways that would include polygamy". Fine distinction, but not one without a difference.

    Your view of same sex marriage didn't change because of your sister
    That is correct.

    Your poll answer is correct because her coming out didn't change your mind to permit her to marry her girlfriend.
    actually I voted too quickly and voted wrongly. I should have voted second to last and instead I voted the first. whatchagonna do.

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    And that is why I was clear in my reply what I had meant. This is - as I pointed out - an area where we need to be clear what we mean. Because of your intended meaning a simple yes/no answer was insufficient. As you yourself indicated when that answer confused you and seemed contradictory.

    No. I am against redefining marriage in the ways that it would include SSM. This is broader in scope than simply "against SSM". For example, it also includes "opposes redefining marriage in ways that would include polygamy". Fine distinction, but not one without a difference.

    That is correct.

    actually I voted too quickly and voted wrongly. I should have voted second to last and instead I voted the first. whatchagonna do.
    1. CP, you knew what I meant and what I was asking. There was no need for obfuscation. SSM is the topic, not whether homosexuals can marry at all.

    2. Again, the topic of the thread is SSM and I never implied anything else. You are against SSM, and any other broadening of the term "marriage". That would have been more concise language. One sentence, twelve words.

    3. Fine.

    4. I dunno, but we came to a more accurate understanding, thank you.

  10. #120
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Portman. For those members against gay marriage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    1. CP, you knew what I meant and what I was asking. There was no need for obfuscation. SSM is the topic, not whether homosexuals can marry at all.

    2. Again, the topic of the thread is SSM and I never implied anything else. You are against SSM, and any other broadening of the term "marriage". That would have been more concise language. One sentence, twelve words.

    3. Fine.

    4. I dunno, but we came to a more accurate understanding, thank you.
    Glad we were able to do so.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •