View Poll Results: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 63.95%
  • No

    25 29.07%
  • Other

    6 6.98%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 169

Thread: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

  1. #1
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    398

    Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    The only disadvantage that I could see is that the politicians who really are great wouldn't be able to stay there. But we would supposedly continue to elect more really great politicians.

    The benefits are numerous. What are your thoughts?


    And my plug: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...gress/bm01vV2m sign the petition if you agree. Let's get Obama to submit an amendment. Or if he won't, let him explain why not. It's time to take the lobbyists out of Washington.

    If this petition gets 150 signatures, it will go public. It needs 100,000 by 4/14/13. I'm an introvert. I don't know 150 people and I don't have facebook. If you believe in this cause, please sign it and share it.

    If you don't believe in it, why not? Am I missing something?

  2. #2
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    no need
    we have the right every two/six years to shake things up
    and we do elect those politicians we deserve
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    no. outlaw gerrymandering nationwide instead. plug the census data into a computer, and let the software draw the districts. if we did this, districts would only change to reflect census data.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,939
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertzz View Post
    The only disadvantage that I could see is that the politicians who really are great wouldn't be able to stay there. But we would supposedly continue to elect more really great politicians.

    The benefits are numerous. What are your thoughts?


    And my plug: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...gress/bm01vV2m sign the petition if you agree. Let's get Obama to submit an amendment. Or if he won't, let him explain why not. It's time to take the lobbyists out of Washington.

    If this petition gets 150 signatures, it will go public. It needs 100,000 by 4/14/13. I'm an introvert. I don't know 150 people and I don't have facebook. If you believe in this cause, please sign it and share it.

    If you don't believe in it, why not? Am I missing something?
    No, I also believe the 22nd amendment should also be repealed. As soon as the president enters his second term, he is a lame duck. We, the people have the power to replace any member of the House every two years and every member of the senate ever 4 years. The fact we don't is on us. Congress as shown had only around a 10-15% approval rate, yet we sent 90% of them back. Who's fault is that? You get the government you deserve.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    I think we do need term limits.

    The overwhelming majority of Americans are dissatisfied with every single person in Washington, yet "we" continue to re-elect the same dim-bulb nitwits decade after decade after decade.

    There's no need for career politicians and every reason to prevent just such a thing from happening.

    I'm all for term limits.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,939
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    no. outlaw gerrymandering nationwide instead. plug the census data into a computer, and let the software draw the districts. if we did this, districts would only change to reflect census data.
    Oh yes, all gerrymandering is, is legally jury rigging elections way before the first vote is cast. This nation will never have fair elections as far as the house is concerned until the jury rigging of elections, gerrymandering of districts is done away with. I can never understand the worry over election fraud when jury rigging of elections is perfectly legal.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,939
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I think we do need term limits.

    The overwhelming majority of Americans are dissatisfied with every single person in Washington, yet "we" continue to re-elect the same dim-bulb nitwits decade after decade after decade.

    There's no need for career politicians and every reason to prevent just such a thing from happening.

    I'm all for term limits.
    The power to replace them lies with you.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #8
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    398

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    The power to replace them lies with you.
    It's not about the argument of whether or not we can or should replace specific politicians. It's about the overwhelming power and corruption that could and does occur behind the curtains without term limits. Is the cost worth the freedom?

    Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,160

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Sure. Let's limit them to zero terms.


    That's about what they're worth.



    Or better yet, let's make their salary contingent on NOT doing anything. Then things might finally get better.


    You can tell I'm in a rather negative and cynical mood just the now...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #10
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertzz View Post
    It's not about the argument of whether or not we can or should replace specific politicians. It's about the overwhelming power and corruption that could and does occur behind the curtains without term limits. Is the cost worth the freedom?

    Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    if we see indications of corruption it is then up to us, the voters, to vote them out of office
    we do elect the politicians we deserve
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •