View Poll Results: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 63.95%
  • No

    25 29.07%
  • Other

    6 6.98%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 169

Thread: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

  1. #151
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    the house is elected every two years, this is because the founders wanted the "people's house" to be close to the people, and easy to vote people out of office frequently.

    the senate every 6 years was appointed by the states before the 17th amendment, and was meant to be farther from the people, since it was for representation of the state themselves and not the people.

    the senate in a sense had it own terms limits because no state would have ever sent the same senator back to the senate for 51 years...IE Robert Byrd.

  2. #152
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the house is elected every two years, this is because the founders wanted the "people's house" to be close to the people, and easy to vote people out of office frequently.

    the senate every 6 years was appointed by the states before the 17th amendment, and was meant to be farther from the people, since it was for representation of the state themselves and not the people.

    the senate in a sense had it own terms limits because no state would have ever sent the same senator back to the senate for 51 years...IE Robert Byrd.
    Were states able to reappoint, if they so chose?

    Point of curiosity on my part. Nothing else.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #153
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Were states able to reappoint, if they so chose?

    Point of curiosity on my part. Nothing else.

    before the 17th amendment state legislatures appointed the senators, this gave states a direct voice in the federal government.

    the house is for the people, the senate is for the states, this is referred to as mixed government, which the founders created, federalist #40.

    this why no one can have all the power to be tyrannical.

    by repealing the 17th we return to republican government, gives states power, to stop federal mandates, and the federal government withholding tax money to states if they do not like federal policies.

  4. #154
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Were states able to reappoint, if they so chose?

    Point of curiosity on my part. Nothing else.
    before the 17th amendment state legislatures appointed the senators, this gave states a direct voice in the federal government.

    the house is for the people, the senate is for the states, this is referred to as mixed government, which the founders created, federalist #40.

    this why no one can have all the power to be tyrannical.

    by repealing the 17th we return to republican government, gives states power, to stop federal mandates, and the federal government withholding tax money to states if they do not like federal policies.
    Thanks, but that wasn't my question. Let me rephrase...

    Prior to the 17th Amendment, were there any artificial limits to how many times a Senator could be appointed/reappointed? Could a Senator serve 30 years, if they got re-appointed that often?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #155
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Thanks, but that wasn't my question. Let me rephrase...

    Prior to the 17th Amendment, were there any artificial limits to how many times a Senator could be appointed/reappointed? Could a Senator serve 30 years, if they got re-appointed that often?

    it was possible to serve 30 or more years, however state legislatures did not seem to keep reappointing the same person over and over.

    I have gone back before the 17th and looked some, and senators did not serve long decades, you start seeing long term senators after the 17th

  6. #156
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    it was possible to serve 30 or more years, however state legislatures did not seem to keep reappointing the same person over and over.

    I have gone back before the 17th and looked some, and senators did not serve long decades, you start seeing long term senators after the 17th
    That's what I suspected. Thanks.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #157
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    I absolutely think we should have term limits, and term limits of just one term for all elected politicians, President included. The reason, it severely undercuts the power of special interests to manipulate the politician's corruption in desiring to retain power, it allows the politician to concentrate his time and energy to solving the nation's problems instead of constant re-election mode the day he steps in office, and it would save a ton of money in politicians running around stumping for re-election. Term limits of one term would just have a dramatic effect in the way a politician sees things. The politician's staffs can be made up of very experienced people. There are creative ways where you can change the structure to keep some of the talented politicians under this one term limit government. For example I'd like to see one of the two senators from each state be appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the state legislatures, with no term limits on them as appointed officials. A state government may recognize a gifted senator and re-appoint him term after term. I'd also like to see 10% of the House of Representative seats be set aside outside of any districts where the Senate votes on the best members of the House of Representatives in their eyes and these Representative serve another term, and can be voted to as many terms as they get voted in by the Senate. These 43 or so members of the HoR will provide a continuity of leadership and experience. President's term could be raised to 6 yrs with a vote of confidence by Congress needed after 3 yrs where 3/4 negative vote would cause a new general Presidential election. Why would there be great opposition to such a system? Because most politicians do not want to give up power and those special interests that feed off the gravy train of tax payer's money know this will undermine the power they have over politicians.

  8. #158
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    I absolutely think we should have term limits, and term limits of just one term for all elected politicians, President included. The reason, it severely undercuts the power of special interests to manipulate the politician's corruption in desiring to retain power, it allows the politician to concentrate his time and energy to solving the nation's problems instead of constant re-election mode the day he steps in office, and it would save a ton of money in politicians running around stumping for re-election. Term limits of one term would just have a dramatic effect in the way a politician sees things. The politician's staffs can be made up of very experienced people. There are creative ways where you can change the structure to keep some of the talented politicians under this one term limit government. For example I'd like to see one of the two senators from each state be appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the state legislatures, with no term limits on them as appointed officials. A state government may recognize a gifted senator and re-appoint him term after term. I'd also like to see 10% of the House of Representative seats be set aside outside of any districts where the Senate votes on the best members of the House of Representatives in their eyes and these Representative serve another term, and can be voted to as many terms as they get voted in by the Senate. These 43 or so members of the HoR will provide a continuity of leadership and experience. President's term could be raised to 6 yrs with a vote of confidence by Congress needed after 3 yrs where 3/4 negative vote would cause a new general Presidential election. Why would there be great opposition to such a system? Because most politicians do not want to give up power and those special interests that feed off the gravy train of tax payer's money know this will undermine the power they have over politicians.
    It would do the exact opposite. Special interests wouldn't throw up their hands and say, "Well you got us. We'll go away now.". No, new candidates each election would then be chosen and groomed by said special interests, and we wouldn't even know who they are as we don't know their history. We'd just be exchanging one problem for another.

    There are only two things that need to happen to fix things, and neither is likely anytime soon...
    1. Voters need to start caring enough to actually educate themselves on the issues and the people in office, and...
    2. Voters need to stop voting purely self-interest and understand that there is an overall picture that needs factoring in as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #159
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It would do the exact opposite. Special interests wouldn't throw up their hands and say, "Well you got us. We'll go away now.". No, new candidates each election would then be chosen and groomed by said special interests, and we wouldn't even know who they are as we don't know their history. We'd just be exchanging one problem for another.

    There are only two things that need to happen to fix things, and neither is likely anytime soon...
    1. Voters need to start caring enough to actually educate themselves on the issues and the people in office, and...
    2. Voters need to stop voting purely self-interest and understand that there is an overall picture that needs factoring in as well.
    I disagree. Let's say your scenario is correct and in a district every special interest runs a candidate now from teacher's union to fireman to police to lawyers to military to small business to big business to agriculture etc etc. Only one gets elected. So maybe the one has a bias but the other special interests have no power over them. But someone running for re-election all of them have a degree of power. Does the teacher union biased elected official want hero firemen going door to door against them in next election or does he or she rather give the union extremely high pensions and lower retirement age by 10 yrs. Do they want the local farmers going door to door and running TV ads that they are killing the American farmer because they want to eliminate outrageous subsidies, etc. So term limits of one term drastically lowers pressure on a politician when it comes to special interests. You also did not mention my other two points for term limits. That politicians can concentrate on solving problems and not be in re-election mode basically from day 1 in office, and the savings in costs from not being in constant re-election mode.

  10. #160
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    We have the option every election to decide whether or not to extend a person's tenure in office. Instead of mandating it via law for every person, why can't the people decide at every election. If somebody honestly deserves 15 terms then why not give it to them? Also repeal the 22nd amendment. If your not happy, do something, don't just vote the same idiots back into office.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •