View Poll Results: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    55 63.95%
  • No

    25 29.07%
  • Other

    6 6.98%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 169

Thread: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

  1. #131
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Then we read that both BHO and Romney each spent $ ONE BILLION DOLLARS on what has become nothing more than a popularity contest! With over 50 million people on foodstamps, and millions of others on housing assistance and other government help, it's enough to make one gag! What has happened to this Country that this isn't questioned? : Our Government is supposed to be for the people...not those running for office in DC!

    And the Dems now want more tax money to spend from people who are being squeezed to death already, not to mention the real costs of Obamacare which aren't fully known yet, but which seem to be rising everytime a new cost report is issued, contrary to promises. C'mon....time to join the real world the rest of us live in, and cut the damn spending! And I mean real spending, not one or two percent of projected future spending! :
    Yes, that is 2 billion alone on the presidential race. But this money is other peoples money, not taxpayers money that would go to help the poor. yet if these donors gave it to the poor instead of the presidential campaign, the poor would definitely be better off.

    In 2008 according to ABC News, BHO spent 750 million to McCain's 368 million. But in a year when the majority of the people were just sick and tired of Republican rule, I don't think that spread made that much of a difference. In other words if each candidate spent only 300 million a piece, the results would have been much the same. If Romney and Obama only spent 300 million each last year, I wouldn't expect the numbers to change much. So I can only conclude that money spent over a certain amount is wasted. The 300 million seems to be close to that ball park figure. In other words, each vote Romney and Obama received, the cost was $20.00 per vote. Compare that to Johnson who received 1.2 million votes while spending around 2 million. Each vote he received cost him only $1.70 each.

    Now both candidates received most of their money from Wall Street, corporations, special interests, lobbyist, super pacs, and other organizations wanting something from government. None of these gave any money just as their civic duty, they gave expecting something in return. Favorable legislation, tax breaks, subsidies, some for their cash. In simple English, these people bought our elected officials.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Good post.

    A Constitutional Convention would be the worst thing that could happen, IMO. EVERYTHING... bar none... would be on the table, and many of our favored rights most likely wouldn't survive.
    Exactly, I feel the same way. The congress and the political parties know this too. This is why a congress who would be very much opposed to a constitutional amendment dealing with election reform and the money is speech SCOTUS ruling, would all of a sudden change their minds and quickly approve the amendment. Congress knows a convention could change everything.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #133
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Yes, that is 2 billion alone on the presidential race. But this money is other peoples money, not taxpayers money that would go to help the poor. yet if these donors gave it to the poor instead of the presidential campaign, the poor would definitely be better off.

    In 2008 according to ABC News, BHO spent 750 million to McCain's 368 million. But in a year when the majority of the people were just sick and tired of Republican rule, I don't think that spread made that much of a difference. In other words if each candidate spent only 300 million a piece, the results would have been much the same. If Romney and Obama only spent 300 million each last year, I wouldn't expect the numbers to change much. So I can only conclude that money spent over a certain amount is wasted. The 300 million seems to be close to that ball park figure. In other words, each vote Romney and Obama received, the cost was $20.00 per vote. Compare that to Johnson who received 1.2 million votes while spending around 2 million. Each vote he received cost him only $1.70 each.

    Now both candidates received most of their money from Wall Street, corporations, special interests, lobbyist, super pacs, and other organizations wanting something from government. None of these gave any money just as their civic duty, they gave expecting something in return. Favorable legislation, tax breaks, subsidies, some for their cash. In simple English, these people bought our elected officials.
    They say that "everyone has their price." Why can't we elect someone who is not so pricey? Or are they too busy earning a living the old-fashioned way...you know--by working?

  4. #134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    no need
    we have the right every two/six years to shake things up
    and we do elect those politicians we deserve
    I disagree. Too often people vote for legislators based moreso on name recognition than the candidate's actual legislative record. This applies to legislators at both the state and federal levels. While I would contend it's the voters' fault for not educating themselves on the candidate's legilative history or where they stand on the issues, it happens more often than people care to think.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    They say that "everyone has their price." Why can't we elect someone who is not so pricey? Or are they too busy earning a living the old-fashioned way...you know--by working?
    All I can say is that it is the system and neither party wants to change it.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #136
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    All I can say is that it is the system and neither party wants to change it.
    Sad, but true.

    I wonder what elections cost in other developed countries?

    Well, time for me to call it a day.

    G'nite, Pero, and all others, too. Be well.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In today's political climate, it would take a virtual miracle to get an amendment of any topic passed.
    Exactly, yet you still have people saying "pass an amendment to change how you pass amendments!" Some people are not clear on the problem.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #138
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    True and that is why it is called Representative Government. You as a single has a say, but it is the majority that decides who stays or doesn't.
    Again, the power lies with the majority. I only have power if I agree with the majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #139
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Again, the power lies with the majority. I only have power if I agree with the majority.
    As a matter of practical application there has to be a line somewhere. Where would you draw the line so that you could still feel a legitimate process when you don't get your way?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Term Limits be implemented for Congress?

    The most obvious flaw in the system is the Representative's term of but two years.
    This must be changed to four years.
    Then we need reform, true absolute reform in the campaigns and campaign finance.
    In other words - no more big money..
    But, NO , at this point in time, to term limits..

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •