View Poll Results: Should the mentally ill be able to own guns?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 28.36%
  • No

    40 59.70%
  • Unsure

    8 11.94%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 164

Thread: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Gotcha...

    Oh, ever met a paranoid schizophrenic who thinks everybody from you...to Satan is out to get them?
    What other rights should we take away from a schizophrenic?

  2. #122
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Salmonella is a great risk from improper handling of sushi.
    Good morning, SMTA.

    Which is why I chose soup instead of seviche when dining in Mexico....

  3. #123
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,490

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    What other rights should we take away from a schizophrenic?
    What other rights is the forum about?

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    What other rights is the forum about?
    Well I guess the mentally ill could be told not to speak. We could allow the state to search their home at any time for any reason.

  5. #125
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,490

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    Well I guess the mentally ill could be told not to speak. We could allow the state to search their home at any time for any reason.
    If you say so.

    So, I get it. You believe there is ZERO reason to prevent people from owning a gun who are documented as having say...extreme forms of mental illness...or people who commit crimes...even those who prefer using a gun to do commit crimes....

    Alrighty then. You said what your opinion is. Groovy.

  6. #126
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Personally, I consider that to be one of those "you know it when you see it" things, but I'm sure medical professionals have specific procedures and diagnosis.
    But under what circumstances would a medical professional be able to make that determination?

    What I'm worried about happening is for psychologists/psychiatrists to be able to prescribe someone as "mentally ill" during voluntary therapy sessions, and then that person will be unable to have a gun. Do you know what will happen if that is allowed? People will stop going to therapy. People that need therapy won't go because they are afraid they will lose their right to own a weapon. Then the threat of mentally ill people with guns will be even greater, since some people that genuinely need therapy won't go because of the fear of losing their right to own a weapon.

  7. #127
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    But under what circumstances would a medical professional be able to make that determination?
    I dunno, are you a psychiatrist?

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    But under what circumstances would a medical professional be able to make that determination?

    What I'm worried about happening is for psychologists/psychiatrists to be able to prescribe someone as "mentally ill" during voluntary therapy sessions, and then that person will be unable to have a gun. Do you know what will happen if that is allowed? People will stop going to therapy. People that need therapy won't go because they are afraid they will lose their right to own a weapon. Then the threat of mentally ill people with guns will be even greater, since some people that genuinely need therapy won't go because of the fear of losing their right to own a weapon.
    You make some valid points, but imo, that is another issue altogether (and I certainly didn't intend for this thread to even go there in the first place)...

    For starters, one can always get a second opinion (and a third - so on and so forth) if they don't agree with their diagnoses... That's all I really have to say, without veering off topic here...

  9. #129
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,165

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Mentally ill people already own and carry guns. Any time anybody shoots some innocent victim, the NRA diagnoses mental illness.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Should the mentally ill be able to own/carry guns?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    LOL, and that's what instilled discipline? They were a bunch of rowdy individuals until you locked up the guns, at which point they straightened up and became soldiers? Is that really what you picture happening in the US?
    They were always drunk when off duty.

    I take life a day at a time. There is plenty of gun violence every single day.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •