View Poll Results: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo if he became president?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 62.50%
  • No

    5 15.63%
  • IDK/Other

    7 21.88%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,620

    Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    I think a lot of first time presidents don't realize, while campaigning, just how difficult it can be to get the federal bureaucracy to do what they want. I'm more than willing to believe that Obama meant to close gitmo while on the trail in 2008 but found it impossible to do once he got in office.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #12
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    In 2008, Obama repeatedly vowed to close Gitmo if he became Commander In Chief and that Gitmo shamed America to the entire world. When elected president, since Gitmo is part of a military base and operation, he could have closed it merely by signing an Executive Order without any need for approval by Congress.

    He did not close it. Amazingly, closing Gitmo was again part of his campaign in the 2012 election.

    Personally, I can think of no more clear example (of so many) in which Obama is an outright calculated - if not pathological - liar.

    However, the poll question is simple:

    Did Obama lie during the 2008 election when he vowed to close Gitmo if he became president?
    Not sure it was a deliberate lie, or if he just failed to get this through politically and didn't want to risk an outcry from the right. Which would be cowardice, if such loaded terms make sense in politics.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  3. #13
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    In 2008, Obama repeatedly vowed to close Gitmo if he became Commander In Chief and that Gitmo shamed America to the entire world. When elected president, since Gitmo is part of a military base and operation, he could have closed it merely by signing an Executive Order without any need for approval by Congress.

    He did not close it. Amazingly, closing Gitmo was again part of his campaign in the 2012 election.

    Personally, I can think of no more clear example (of so many) in which Obama is an outright calculated - if not pathological - liar.

    However, the poll question is simple:

    Did Obama lie during the 2008 election when he vowed to close Gitmo if he became president?
    Liar.

  4. #14
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,940

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I think a lot of first time presidents don't realize, while campaigning, just how difficult it can be to get the federal bureaucracy to do what they want. I'm more than willing to believe that Obama meant to close gitmo while on the trail in 2008 but found it impossible to do once he got in office.
    I pretty much agree with this. I think they run into road blocks all of the time. Yeah, sure it easy to say "i'll do this" and "i'll do that" if i become president.
    But once they get in the WH, it's quite different.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,258

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Why not, he lied about everything else, just like every other President we've had recently.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #16
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    Why is no one discussing the fact that Congress prevented anyone from being able to close Guantanamo Bay? From what I understand, Congress used it's budget oversight ability to specifically ban any funding to go to trials of Guantanamo inmates on US soil. The also blocked the sale of a prison in Illinois to the federal government to house prisoners. Additionally, I'm pretty sure the most recent defence bill included a provision that mandates military detention of all al Qaeda suspects.

    I'm not saying those provisions are right or wrong, but I could understand how the President could have made a promise like that, under current circumstances, and then be unable to accomplish that promise. He has, however, reduced the number inmates there to 1/3-1/2. It's clearly priority, but there is only so much that can be done when congress is pulling the purse strings closed on him.

    Just something to consider on the subject.
    Yup. Obama had a plan he said he would execute that would result in the closing of Gitmo. For example he was going to move the prisoners to a prison in the US. In short: Anti Obama people were sucessful, and they had to work on it quite a bit, in keeping him form doing what he said he was going to do. Now those people think they can say that he never intended to close Gitmo. Humm, let's consider for a moment, who exactly is the liar?
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 03-15-13 at 02:11 PM.

  7. #17
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    01-18-18 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,292

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    No, he didn't lie - it was just one of a myriad of examples of the man's utter ignorance and incompetence that many saw coming - unfortunately, not enough saw it and still don't.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I think a lot of first time presidents don't realize, while campaigning, just how difficult it can be to get the federal bureaucracy to do what they want. I'm more than willing to believe that Obama meant to close gitmo while on the trail in 2008 but found it impossible to do once he got in office.
    I understand your point - and mostly agree with it.

    But - to my knowledge - Gitmo is a military prison.

    He is the Commander-in-Chief, which means he can order it closed anytime he wishes.

    But he has chosen not to because he is clearly spineless (or he was lying in the first place).

  9. #19
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I understand your point - and mostly agree with it.

    But - to my knowledge - Gitmo is a military prison.

    He is the Commander-in-Chief, which means he can order it closed anytime he wishes.

    But he has chosen not to because he is clearly spineless (or he was lying in the first place).
    Your assertion seems very narrow, to me. Obviously, he can close the darn thing whenever he wants to. The question is, what happens to the people inside? Congress has made it impossible for them to be brought to the US for trial, and has mandated they can only be held in military detentions. So the only other options are to keep Guantanamo open, or release them all and close it. Spine has nothing to do with the discussion, common sense and rational thinking does. Of course he isn't going to release them, so he has to except that ignorant, uninformed people are going to call him a liar, regardless of fact on the issue.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  10. #20
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Did Obama lie about closing Gitmo?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    No, he didn't lie - it was just one of a myriad of examples of the man's utter ignorance and incompetence that many saw coming - unfortunately, not enough saw it and still don't.
    If you saw coming that Congress would change existing laws, in order to prevent the closing of Guantanamo Bay, you might be the next Nostradamus. No one saw that coming. It was a deliberate and calculated move, so that the extreme right wing could have fodder to yell and scream about what a liar the President is. Congratulations, you totally feel for it!

    There are plenty of reasons I dislike the President and his policies. This is easily the most illogical, and baseless reason to call the man a liar.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •