View Poll Results: How much do you care about who the next Pope is?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care a lot. It means everything to me.

    8 5.76%
  • I could care less.

    70 50.36%
  • What's a pope?

    5 3.60%
  • I care, but it doesn't need as much press as it's getting.

    23 16.55%
  • Who won the hockey game last night is far more important.

    20 14.39%
  • other - please explain

    27 19.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 494

Thread: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

  1. #421
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Obviously the fact that so many WERE interested indicates that maybe the one being obnoxious is...well...you...
    I believe the poll shows quite obviously....you're wrong.

  2. #422
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,696

    Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I believe the poll shows quite obviously....you're wrong.
    I believe the global news coverage and the threads on this site talking about it prove Im right.

  3. #423
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    The news agencies have their own agendas. Selling news. The threads here are plenty negative about the whole deal.

    Based on rough numbers, 17% of the world is catholic.

    Of those 17% I'd bet half are more like "catholic in name only" kinda people.

    For every major news agency to have been continually posting minutia on such a constant basis when there was little to nothing to report is precisely the reason for my questions in the OP.

    Why is it news, when for the majority it isn't?
    And who finds it irritating?

    For the record, I feel the same way about the amount of coverage the Philadelphia Eagles get in local news even when it's month and months away from football season.

  4. #424
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,617

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    There's an awful lot in your short little post that's highly debatable.

    However, that doesn't really answer my question.

    Is the press coverage of this "event" reasonable, or do you find it intrusive and obnoxious?

    It's not like the vote for the next pope is a public vote.
    I think it got so much press because he resigned which has not happened in a very long time.

  5. #425
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Take for granted?
    It's an assumption for you to say "murder is bad" and "charity is good." You're just assuming that's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  6. #426
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    I think it got so much press because he resigned which has not happened in a very long time.
    Quite possible.

    I'm just fantastically relieved the elitists appointed a new uber-elite leader in such a short period of time.

    Imagine if the process had lasted a month or more........

  7. #427
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Quite possible.

    I'm just fantastically relieved the elitists appointed a new uber-elite leader in such a short period of time.

    Imagine if the process had lasted a month or more........
    This made me curious. The election of Gregory X took the longest, from November 1268until September 1 of 1271. From Wiki:

    As a result of the length of the election, during which three of the twenty cardinal-electors died and one resigned, Gregory X promulgated the apostolic constitution, Ubi periculum, on July 7 (or 16), 1274, during the Second Council of Lyon, establishing the papal conclave, whose rules were based on the tactics employed against the cardinals in Viterbo. The election itself is sometimes viewed as the first conclave.

    Papal election, 1268

  8. #428
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,493

    Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Good and evil are absolute.

    Murder is bad. Charity is good.

    To say that morality is subjective is just a cop out.
    Not all homicides are evil.
    Murder is a legal construct. Specifically it is an illegal homicide. You have to accept that the law gets it right 100% of the time to accept that all murders are bad. I'm not to willing give the law that level of infallibility.

    Would charitable contributions to an organization that kills innocent people be good?
    Last edited by Gaius46; 03-15-13 at 01:46 PM.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  9. #429
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I am no theologian but I have forgot more about the Catholic Church then you will ever know.
    But if you forgot more than you'll ever know, that doesn't help anyone.

  10. #430
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I am not Catholic but I beleive the Catholic Church is overall a force of good in the world. I therefore hope they choose wisely and continue to be a good, powerful institiution world wide.
    Im not Catholic but I believe the Catholic Church is overall a force in the world. They are generally good but they could be much better. I therefore hope they choose wisely.

Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •