View Poll Results: How much do you care about who the next Pope is?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care a lot. It means everything to me.

    8 5.76%
  • I could care less.

    70 50.36%
  • What's a pope?

    5 3.60%
  • I care, but it doesn't need as much press as it's getting.

    23 16.55%
  • Who won the hockey game last night is far more important.

    20 14.39%
  • other - please explain

    27 19.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 494

Thread: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

  1. #351
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I have heard St. Thomas Aquinas called many things. Irrational isn't one of them.
    You should look at his Quinque Viae, the arguments are simply laughable.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #352
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Accomodationists. Yes, we know. Stand up for reality or be buried under the inevitable flood of irrationality.
    Personally, I'm agnostic. Strident atheists irritate me as much as fanatic believers.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #353
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You should look at his Quinque Viae, the arguments are simply laughable.
    Hardly laughable, and very rational.
    The Quinque vić, Five Ways, or Five Proofs are Five arguments regarding the existence of God summarized by the 13th century Roman Catholic philosopher and theologian St. Thomas Aquinas in his book, Summa Theologica. They are not necessarily meant to be self-sufficient “proofs” of God’s existence; as worded, they propose only to explain what it is “all men mean” when they speak of “God”. Many scholars point out that St. Thomas’s actual arguments regarding the existence and nature of God are to be found liberally scattered throughout his major treatises, and that the five ways are little more than an introductory sketch of how the word “God” can be defined without reference to special revelation (i.e., religious experience).

    The five ways are; the argument of the unmoved mover, the argument of the first cause, the argument from contingency, the argument from degree and the teleological argument. The first way is greatly expanded in the Summa Contra Gentiles.[1] Aquinas left out from his list several arguments that were already in existence at the time, such as the ontological argument of Saint Anselm, because he did not believe that they worked. In the 20th century, the Roman Catholic priest and philosopher Frederick Copleston, devoted much of his works to fully explaining and expanding on Aquinas’ five ways.

    The arguments are designed to prove the existence of a monotheistic God, namely the Abrahamic God (though they could also support notions of God in other faiths that believe in a monotheistic God such as Sikhism, Vedantic and Bhaktic Hinduism), but as a set they do not work when used to provide evidence for the existence of polytheistic,[citation needed] pantheistic, panentheistic or pandeistic deities.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #354
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Personally, I'm agnostic. Strident atheists irritate me as much as fanatic believers.
    And half-ass "live and let live" accomodationists piss me off more than any of them.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #355
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Hardly laughable, and very rational.
    The Quinque vić, Five Ways, or Five Proofs are Five arguments regarding the existence of God summarized by the 13th century Roman Catholic philosopher and theologian St. Thomas Aquinas in his book, Summa Theologica. They are not necessarily meant to be self-sufficient “proofs” of God’s existence; as worded, they propose only to explain what it is “all men mean” when they speak of “God”. Many scholars point out that St. Thomas’s actual arguments regarding the existence and nature of God are to be found liberally scattered throughout his major treatises, and that the five ways are little more than an introductory sketch of how the word “God” can be defined without reference to special revelation (i.e., religious experience).

    The five ways are; the argument of the unmoved mover, the argument of the first cause, the argument from contingency, the argument from degree and the teleological argument. The first way is greatly expanded in the Summa Contra Gentiles.[1] Aquinas left out from his list several arguments that were already in existence at the time, such as the ontological argument of Saint Anselm, because he did not believe that they worked. In the 20th century, the Roman Catholic priest and philosopher Frederick Copleston, devoted much of his works to fully explaining and expanding on Aquinas’ five ways.

    The arguments are designed to prove the existence of a monotheistic God, namely the Abrahamic God (though they could also support notions of God in other faiths that believe in a monotheistic God such as Sikhism, Vedantic and Bhaktic Hinduism), but as a set they do not work when used to provide evidence for the existence of polytheistic,[citation needed] pantheistic, panentheistic or pandeistic deities.
    Yes, I understand what they are, that's why I mentioned it. They're laughably and easily refutable, yet brainless Catholics to this day think they're valid.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #356
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And half-ass "live and let live" accomodationists piss me off more than any of them.
    Well then, go through your life pissed off. We "live and let live" types don't care, although we occasionally enjoy spinning you up to max rpm's. You're amusing that way.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #357
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yes, I understand what they are, that's why I mentioned it. They're laughably and easily refutable, yet brainless Catholics to this day think they're valid.
    Odd you should say that, since Catholics generally say they are not meant to be proofs and are not defended as such.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #358
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Unfortunately, the Catholic Church elected another idiot who is going to keep pushing Catholic hate. Good choice, morons.
    They elected a Conservative......God Bless him.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #359
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Unfortunately, the Catholic Church elected another idiot who is going to keep pushing Catholic hate. Good choice, morons.
    We hate no one......We hate sins that people commit.....We love the sinner.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  10. #360
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Do you REALLY care about the next Pope?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Well then, go through your life pissed off. We "live and let live" types don't care, although we occasionally enjoy spinning you up to max rpm's. You're amusing that way.
    It's not going through life pissed, it's going through life actually giving a damn about what goes on in the world around you. I'm glad you think being a troll is funny. Just says something about your character.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •