View Poll Results: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years old?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's not wrong. We should change the law so material that old is public domain.

    28 66.67%
  • It's technically wrong, but not really a big deal.

    8 19.05%
  • Yes, it's wrong. The copyright owner has the right to control it, even if he's an heir.

    5 11.90%
  • Not sure.

    1 2.38%
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 291

Thread: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years old?

  1. #131
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,696

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if they're broadcasting it on the radio or TV, they're sending it out for free, they have no right to complain if I go and get the stuff they're giving away for free from an online source.
    There is a difference between personally recording/replaying something and presenting it for downloading/copying by others; that radio/TV station paid royalties to the artist for using their material (legal use) yet the web pirates do not (illegal use).
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #132
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    There is a difference between personally recording/replaying something and presenting it for downloading/copying by others; that radio/TV station paid royalties to the artist for using their material (legal use) yet the web pirates do not (illegal use).
    I'm just downloading for personal use. Whatever someone else does is their problem.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #133
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    I also find the difference between this thread, and similar threads on a photography forum I frequent, as very interesting. There, because they are on the other side of the issue as copyright owners of their images, are almost all in favor of strict copyright protection, and some even advocate draconian fines & punishment for violators.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #134
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    There are exceptions allowed for personal use, but I suppose the question would be in how long you possess it. The SCOTUS has even ruled on this, though I'm not inclined to go look up the nuances right now. A week, to watch it? Indefinitely?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #135
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,706

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if they're broadcasting it on the radio or TV, they're sending it out for free, they have no right to complain if I go and get the stuff they're giving away for free from an online source.
    Agreed. It would be different if someone were sitting in a movie theater, videotaping a brand new movie and then bringing it home and uploading it. But this is stuff that's on TV. It's free anyway, and I also agree with what was mentioned earlier - I have a DVR and skip through commercials anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #136
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I also find the difference between this thread, and similar threads on a photography forum I frequent, as very interesting. There, because they are on the other side of the issue as copyright owners of their images, are almost all in favor of strict copyright protection, and some even advocate draconian fines & punishment for violators.
    Quite a distinct difference between photography and TV show/movies. I doubt any of those photographers have a problem with folks viewing their work and keeping a copy, because if the photos are online that happens automatically. It's when folks try to use that content without paying for it. Such use generally involves display to others.

    However, with TV/movies you can trigger the fines and the RIAA's ire by just downloading and being in possession.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There are exceptions allowed for personal use, but I suppose the question would be in how long you possess it. The SCOTUS has even ruled on this, though I'm not inclined to go look up the nuances right now. A week, to watch it? Indefinitely?
    I possess it forever. If it's a show I really like, I do go buy it on DVD and I own thousands of commercial DVDs, but I have tens of thousands of burned DVDs with thousands upon thousands of TV series covering the last 50 years or so. Don't care if anyone likes it either.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #138
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Agreed. It would be different if someone were sitting in a movie theater, videotaping a brand new movie and then bringing it home and uploading it. But this is stuff that's on TV. It's free anyway, and I also agree with what was mentioned earlier - I have a DVR and skip through commercials anyway.
    Has cable been around for 40 years? TV is "free", cable is not.

  9. #139
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    also remember, every time you record your favorite tv show such as MASH or All in the family on your VCR, you are committing copyright infringement.

  10. #140
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,696

    Re: Is it immoral to download from unauthorized sources (c) TV shows over 39 years ol

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm just downloading for personal use. Whatever someone else does is their problem.
    I understand that. I often wonder if I am breaking the law when I post music videos on this forum under the "what are you listening to?" thread. They are often found easily on YouTube, many have fairly decent sound quality as well. I am sure that the artist gets no royalties when I do this yet, as you say, its just laying there for the free taking.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •